Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  How long new message is new?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
janilxx
Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
How long this forum shows new messages as new? I mean how long vacation I can have so that after vacation I still can jump directly to the EVERY unread messages on forum?

I remember that after my 8 day vacation I still could read all unread messages here but can I have longer vacations? 2 weeks? a month?

Some forums shows unread messages as unread forever but I suppose that is not the case here.

I am asking this because I want to know when TAPWorld updates are endangered because of my vacations (or laziness Smile ).
janilxx
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I tried to ask that if I am not using this forum for X days and then I come back, how many days after will I see those arrow links that gets me into newest unread posts? I mean those view=newest -links
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Why don't you try it and see? The forum remembers when you were last here; I don't see any reason why it would forget that and assume it saw you more recently, if you didn't visit.

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
nwhitfield wrote:
don't see any reason why it would forget that and assume it saw you more recently, if you didn't visit.

it does happen though due to some corruption possibly at the PC end ? - on occasions I have been left out in the cold with no new posts to read and yet I KNOW there are some.

On another PHP board I use they have a click to see the last 24hours posts if you get stuck like this?
This board doesn't seem to have one though

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
underquark
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1790
I went away for 3½ weeks and came back to find hundreds of posts so it seems to remember that long a period.
janilxx
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
Why don't you try it and see?

Maybe I have a reason to be able to read / browse through all messages (in TAP sections) so that TAPWorld can be updated if new TAPs are found from forums (there is 4 forums we monitor (3 of them are monitored by me only Sad )).

And because of this I wouldn't like to test this and then maybe some TAPs would not be updated into TAPWorld, which also you UK guys seem to use.

nwhitfield wrote:
The forum remembers when you were last here; I don't see any reason why it would forget that and assume it saw you more recently, if you didn't visit.

If it is made so that forum remembers unread messages always as long as user has read them or marked them as read any other way then it would eat server resources and database space and thats why this feature is not used on all forums.

However this your bulletin board system seems to be dumber so that when you come here you have to read all unread messages at once, otherwise you can not find those unread messages anymore.

However, even this your bb is dumber and it does not use server resources as badly, this kind of systems can still forget unread messages after some period of time.
janilxx
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
underquark wrote:
I went away for 3½ weeks and came back to find hundreds of posts so it seems to remember that long a period.

Thanks! 3.5 weeks is enough for me. I don't think I will be away from internet so long times ever when TAPWorld is there needing my attention
andrec
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Posts: 1349 Location: Bristol, U.K.
janilxx wrote:
However this your bulletin board system seems to be dumber so that when you come here you have to read all unread messages at once, otherwise you can not find those unread messages anymore.

That's certainly my experience. I have assumed for some considerable time now that the 'new message' marker is broken and certainly can't be relied on unless you read all new messages in one continuous session. However, I agree that it will show all those new messages after - in my experience - a couple of weeks away. The problem is that, since it's not feasible to read all those messages at one sitting, I inevitably have to return later and scan the posting dates to guess whether or not I've read them. (I'm using sub-silver, which Nigel doesn't approve of - but does that make a difference?).

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:56 pm Reply with quote
No, it doesn't; that's the way phpBB works, as far as I can see. It simply remembers the last time it saw you, and shows you the messages since that last session.

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that, Nigel. I'm pretty sure I've had the experience of having this forum open in a window/tab while I do other things elsewhere and come back to find previously marked as unread messages unmarked. So I suspect there's also a time-out as well.

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
The session length is set to 3600 seconds, or one hour. If longer than that time has elapsed since a page was last served to you, then your session will be assumed to have finished, and so you'll see what's new since the last session.

I could increase that if people feel it's helpful.

Nigel

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Ah - that it explains things - thank you.

Well, it would suit me for it to be as long as possible - like for as long as I might have the computer on at a time (~16 hours). Would that cause other people problems?

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
The babelfish from yahoo for translaing the forum from english to swedish works fast but still return many translation errors. Sometime It looks a bit funny. Any better option?
gomezz
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3986 Location: Buckingham
Mmmm! I have often had my new posts automatically marked as read in much less than an hour. Which is why it so frustating to have to wait so long between new post searches. Sad

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4405
What would be really nice would be if it was possible to specify a since time with the read new posts. Currently, if you get a network glitch while reading posts, when you next reconnect, they are lost.

This time could be limited to something in the last 2 weeks say so that the server didn't have to generate huge lists.

This would also be useful to me in my forum signature updating program (not yet available for release). Currently, making a connection to update the profile causes the last visit date to be changed and I would really like to avoid this.

Cheers
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
â„¢