Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Toppy sometimes ignores key presses

Page 8 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Now noted in the database as major bug 91, affecting .09, .25 and .88; please note here if there are any other firmwares potentially affected.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2006 Posts: 75
Nigel, thanks for posting this to bug database.

I would say though that the problem I'm personally experiencing with it is a bit worse than the bug description suggests, not sure if this is typical:

1. I find that it's not so much "occasional", as a constant hit-and-miss problem, that varies in severity. It varies from usually missing the odd keypress (perhaps 1 in 5 to 1 in 10), to occasionally completely ignoring everything for 15 seconds or more, even when holding the remote directly in front the toppy and pressing "firmly" with verbal encouragement Wink .

2. I did try not running any TAPs, but in my case this made no perceivable difference. It continued to be hit and miss.

Also, is it worth adding to the bug report that keypresses are ignored even when the remote receive light flashes on the toppy itself. In other words it seems unlikely to be a problem with the remote handset.
ldjagger
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 31 Aug 2006 Posts: 66
I did a couple of things that have completely stopped this happening on my box.

The first was to turn off interactive services. This stopped it ignoring '1 in every 5' keypresses. There must be a problem with interactive services stealing processor/interrupt time.

The second was to make MyStuff never try to reload the EPG on a regular basis (default is every 5 mins). This was causing my box to ignore keypresses for 10 secs in a row while it did this refresh (and if the option is set so that it doesn't feedback on screen when it's reloading, it's not obvious that it's MyStuff doing this, initially!)

I now have a completely responsive Toppy again, with no keypresses missed.

Having said that, it's a pretty major defect if interactive services cause this much disruption to user input, and I would certainly like to see this fixed asap so that I can use Interactive services again.
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Just FYI, the next version of MyStuff will only load EPG Data when the freeview.mei has changed, rather than every X minutes religiously. This will help with the unresponsiveness. It sounds simple to implement but actually, since there is a bug making all files have the same create date, it needed a change to eit2mei to allow us to do this,

HTH

CW

sjk
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't use mystuff. And as I said above, I get the problem even with no taps running at all.

I will try turning off interactive and see if that makes any difference.
wooders
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Aug 2005 Posts: 428 Location: The National Forest
chunkywizard wrote:
Just FYI, the next version of MyStuff will only load EPG Data when the freeview.mei has changed, rather than every X minutes religiously. This will help with the unresponsiveness. It sounds simple to implement but actually, since there is a bug making all files have the same create date, it needed a change to eit2mei to allow us to do this

What about when MyStuff.mei changes? Bob has promised in the past to implement this.

Let rt2mei 1.1a feed your Toppy with EPG data from the Radio Times website.
Download rt2mei from http://www.wooders.co.uk/rt2mei
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
good point wooders I will check.

Paul

mr-b
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 May 2006 Posts: 643 Location: Warks - Sutton Coldfield tx
FWIW I found one symptom of this bug very easy to repro - certainly not "occasional" as the bug report says - unless "occasional" means that not every keypress is ignored! Smile

Press 'List' to display the channel list and use the arrow keys to move up and down. The missed key presses become very obvious - also you can hold down a key and watch the list hiccup as it scrolls. The pattern I observed varies from one miss in about 5-10 presses to sometimes 3 misses in a row. You can also keep an eye on the remote activity indicator to make sure that is working OK.

If I disable Interactive (as previous posts suggest) then the missed key presses just disappear.
Unloading TAPs doesn't make any difference to me (although I do have MyStuff set to reload the EPG every 24h rather than the default 5m).

Let's hope Toppy spend time on this issue (rather than fixing signal strength meters - sheesh) since it doesn't do very much for impressions of product quality.

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; Macro V1.12; QuickJump 1.72; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; TF5000 Display v1.53; TAP Commander 1.34; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5; MHEG Control B2.1; Font Manager 1.0d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 25/9/13?
sjk
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I've had interactive disabled for a couple of weeks now. The number of missed keypresses seems to be a bit less than it was, but it is still an issue.
billmars
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 761
mr-b wrote:

Press 'List' to display the channel list and use the arrow keys to move up and down. The missed key presses become very obvious - also you can hold down a key and watch the list hiccup as it scrolls. The pattern I observed varies from one miss in about 5-10 presses to sometimes 3 misses in a row. You can also keep an eye on the remote activity indicator to make sure that is working OK.

What channel are you actually viewing at the time?

After having rescanned for new and moved LCNs, I was checking everything by using MyStuff's EPG. Using the up and down arrows it is very obvious when key presses are missed. I was getting quite a number of misses, and after changing channels (checking they were actually there and where they should be!) I noticed that the misses were considerably less (hardly noticeable) when viewing channels that have no MHEG.

When I changed to channels that have MHEG content, the misses were very obvious. Note - I wasn't actually using the MHEG services, just viewing the channel.

Looking back at this thread I can't see any reference to this problem and any correlation between the actual channel being viewed.

Maybe others can confirm this?

PS Timeshift is ON, Interactive is ON and all the TAPS below are loaded.

(I find this problem really irksome, but have resigned myself to living with it!)

5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.6;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
During MyStuff testing we have noted that available memory is lower on MHEG channels and so there are a number of benefits you will get from turning off the interactive services...

CW

billmars
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 761
chunkywizard wrote:
During MyStuff testing we have noted that available memory is lower on MHEG channels and so there are a number of benefits you will get from turning off the interactive services...

CW

OK - but I use them! And they are part of the digital TV service. Why should we turn off a service because this machine can't cope?

Thanks for the info about the lower available memory on MHEG channels. I didn't know this.

Perhaps this is why some people report problems and others don't, and why it seems to come and go. It appears it is significant which channel your are actually viewing, rather than using the MHEG services.

5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.6;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
mr-b
Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 May 2006 Posts: 643 Location: Warks - Sutton Coldfield tx
billmars wrote:

When I changed to channels that have MHEG content, the misses were very obvious. Note - I wasn't actually using the MHEG services, just viewing the channel.

I tried your test too:

BBC1/2, ITV - misses
Ch 4 - better but still misses
Five - no misses!
ITV2 - misses

So it sounds like your theory is correct!
Agree with your sentiments too.

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; Macro V1.12; QuickJump 1.72; Extend v1.7; EPG2MEI v0.96; TF5000 Display v1.53; TAP Commander 1.34; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5; MHEG Control B2.1; Font Manager 1.0d; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 25/9/13?
mlavende
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 340
mr-b wrote:
billmars wrote:

I tried your test too:

BBC1/2, ITV - misses
Ch 4 - better but still misses
Five - no misses!
ITV2 - misses

So it sounds like your theory is correct!
Agree with your sentiments too.

I have interactive turned off and I still get missed key presses on (I think) all channels. I've always put this down to some background scan in MS or somesuch. I assume people don't think this is the case then ?

-Mat

Nimbus
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Jan 2006 Posts: 581 Location: Leicestershire. 7 miles from the Waltham transmitter...
What are the interactive services/mheg? Is this teletex? If so I'll need to keep these one as we use BBC ones for news/weather. If it's the anoying "press red" icon that is shown on the top right, I'll stop them.

Thanks

TAPs in load order : Font Manager 1 | TF5000 Display v1.26 | Remote Extender 1.6 | Description Extender 2.23 | Info Viewer 1.7 | Media Manager 1.5 | mei2archive BETA 3.5 | QuickJump 1.64 | Goldfish 0.5 | Power Manager 2.0 | UK Auto Scheduler 0.73 | EPGnavigator 6.1 | WSSKiller 2.12d