Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Logos for TAPs

Page 2 of 99
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 97, 98, 99  Next
chunkywizard
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Er... no, AFAIK no TAPs uses Logos stored in Auto Start. The reason they are probably there is MyStuff will move them from there to the correct place is the initial install goes correctly. Of all the TAPs that uses a logo.dat or smlogo.dat eg. Oz Surfer/ Archive/ MyStuff/ Media Manager etc. only UK Timers has not been updated to use the 'new' locations (and I am not sure on iGuide).

HTH

CW

PeterJD
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, CW. I've deleted the spurious files.
andrec
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Posts: 1348 Location: Bristol, U.K.
chunkywizard wrote:
Er... no, AFAIK no TAPs uses Logos stored in Auto Start. The reason they are probably there is MyStuff will move them from there to the correct place is the initial install goes correctly. Of all the TAPs that uses a logo.dat or smlogo.dat eg. Oz Surfer/ Archive/ MyStuff/ Media Manager etc. only UK Timers has not been updated to use the 'new' locations (and I am not sure on iGuide).

Well, that's kind of what I meant. The large logos are used, AIUI, mainly by UK Timers, and they're in \ProgramFiles\Auto Start\UK TAP Project\Source Logos. The small logos (.ibl format) which I have for Filer 2 are in \ProgramFiles\ChannelLogos\TV (and \Radio).

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi André,

you are right, if you are using UK Timers, then use the other location (this actually works for other TAPs in that family OZ Surfer, UK AS, Archive etc. as well).

BTW, using 'small logos' as a description will be confusing as a term as MyStuff and Media Manager use a small version of logo.dat (called smlogo.dat). I guess we should refer to Filer and Improbox logos as .ibl files. O.k.?

CW

andrec
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
BTW, using 'small logos' as a description will be confusing as a term as MyStuff and Media Manager use a small version of logo.dat (called smlogo.dat). I guess we should refer to Filer and Improbox logos as .ibl files. O.k.?

Right. So how many logo variations are there - three? Large GIFs for UK Timers et al., small GIFs(?) for My Stuff et al., and small .ibls for Filer 2 (and Improbox?)? What exactly is the My Stuff logo spec.?

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote
So

logo.dat = a packaged file containing 60x38 GIFs
smlogo.dat = a package file containing 47x30 GIFs with a white border to the right and bottom to make them 60x38 in size

These are used by UK Timers, UK AS, OZ Surfer, Archive, Media Manager, iGuide (have I missed any?)

Now this is complicated somewhat because there is a MakeLogos TAP which can make these .dat's on the Toppy from individual GIFs. This is how UK Timers used to do things. It is now much easier to use a PC programme to do the same thing, that is how I produce the .dats I post.

Improbox uses individual .ibl files. These are 50x30 and start life as .bmps and are converted to .ibl with a tool from Happy.

Does Filer2 use exactly the same format as Improbox?

CW

andrec
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
So

logo.dat = a packaged file containing 60x38 GIFs
smlogo.dat = a package file containing 47x30 GIFs with a white border to the right and bottom to make them 60x38 in size

These are used by UK Timers, UK AS, OZ Surfer, Archive, Media Manager, iGuide (have I missed any?)

UK Timers uses just 60x38. I personally haven't had a use for the small GIFs, so I don't know which TAPs they're for.

chunkywizard wrote:
Now this is complicated somewhat because there is a MakeLogos TAP which can make these .dat's on the Toppy from individual GIFs. This is how UK Timers used to do things. It is now much easier to use a PC programme to do the same thing, that is how I produce the .dats I post.

OK. I've never properly understood what MakeLogos does. I never now download a logo.dat file (sorry CW! Wink); for UK Timers, I just copy across new GIFs to the appropriate folder on the Toppy, run MakeLogos on the Toppy (and am puzzled why the flashing 'old' and 'new' logos which appear are always the same), then reboot.

chunkywizard wrote:
Improbox uses individual .ibl files. These are 50x30 and start life as .bmps and are converted to .ibl with a tool from Happy.

Does Filer2 use exactly the same format as Improbox?

That's what I understand. I made the latest .ibls as .bmps and converted them with Happy's utility. I copied the two new .ibls to the appropriate folder on the Toppy and they just worked - no rebooting required.

Complicated, innit? I was really asking what formats I should produce when a new or revised logo comes along. It looks as though it's 60x38 GIF, 40x37->60x38 GIF and .ibl.

I think Confused.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
O.k. a bit more explanation Wink

smlogo.dat is only used by Media Manager and MyStuff. I am fine producing the gif needed for this if I just get a 60x38. I have a batch setup in Irfanview so its a single click.

When you run MakeLogos TAP all it does is produce a logo.dat. If you just use the logo.dat I produce then you do not need all the source gifs on the Toppy. The .dats I produce have logos for all channels and consequently are around 600Kb. Still you have 160Gb to play with so this is not usually an issue Wink

HTH

CW

andrec
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
When you run MakeLogos TAP all it does is produce a logo.dat. If you just use the logo.dat I produce then you do not need all the source gifs on the Toppy. The .dats I produce have logos for all channels and consequently are around 600Kb. Still you have 160Gb to play with so this is not usually an issue Wink

So ... if I just want to update a single logo for UK Timers, I can copy the GIF across, run MakeLogos on the Toppy, reboot - and then delete the source logo - yes? IOW, UK Timers TAP is actually using the data in the logo.dat file, which has then been updated, rather than the individual GIFs. In fact, all the individual GIFs on the Toppy can be deleted for UK Timers. Have I got that right?

The date on my logo.dat file on the Toppy is an implausible 2003-01-01, so it's not obviously been updated, but I guess it must have been. If I've now understood it correctly, I could minimise the use of disk space by logos (for, as you say, what it's worth) by deleting logo.dat (which by now must contain out-of-date logos), running MakeLogos to create a new logo.dat from my folder of approved source logos, then deleting the source logos - yes/no? Shocked

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
andrec wrote:

So ... if I just want to update a single logo for UK Timers, I can copy the GIF across, run MakeLogos on the Toppy, reboot - and then delete the source logo - yes? IOW, UK Timers TAP is actually using the data in the logo.dat file, which has then been updated, rather than the individual GIFs. In fact, all the individual GIFs on the Toppy can be deleted for UK Timers. Have I got that right?

The date on my logo.dat file on the Toppy is an implausible 2003-01-01, so it's not obviously been updated, but I guess it must have been. If I've now understood it correctly, I could minimise the use of disk space by logos (for, as you say, what it's worth) by deleting logo.dat (which by now must contain out-of-date logos), running MakeLogos to create a new logo.dat from my folder of approved source logos, then deleting the source logos - yes/no? Shocked

If you wish to keep using the MakeLogos TAP you need all the gifs on the Toppy. What the TAP does is take all of the gifs that are currently in the source folder and make a logo.dat out of them. If, however, you are happy using the logo.dat I provide then delete all of the source logos and overwrite the logo.dat on your Toppy with the one I provide. The datastamp on the file is incorrect as pre .26 firmwares do not allow files produced by TAPs to have the correct data stamp. I hope that explains it a bit better. If not, ask some more questions and I will try and clarify it better!!

CW

andrec
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Got it! Thanks.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Jan 2006 Posts: 45
CW,

I never did resolve my problem of having the old BBC2 logo. Both sizes are still purple:(
I have tried updating a few times and rebooting...no luck!

Do your logo packs contain images for all BBC2 regions, or just one image?
Is it possible that because I receive BBC2 Scotland, you don't have/have not updated this logo?

Cheers.
chunkywizard
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Aha, that's it! The logo is named BBC TWO, so I need to create a Scottish one. Is your channel called BBC TWO Scot? If so then I can upload a new pack for you which will work...

CW

0nezer0
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Jan 2006 Posts: 45
CW,

BBC TWO Scot is correct!

Thanks;)
chunkywizard
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
New version uploaded, with correct logos for Scotland and NI. The URLs are the same

CW