Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Banish the Mystic Dreams background permanently

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
simonc
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5640 Location: Cheltenham
Anyone sufficiently annoyed by the mystic dreams background can now apply the DreamFree firmware patch. This simply prevents the drawing of the background and prevents the

To apply it to your chosen firmware you will need Version 3 of Firebird's firmware patcher (other patches can be downloaded from TAPWorld)

Put the tfp file in the same directory as FWPatcher, run and tick the patches you want to apply. Then upload to the Toppy as normal.

This patch has only been tested on 5.13.39 but should work on firmwares from 5.12.25 onwards.

Last edited by simonc on Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
moley6knipe
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:17 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Aug 2005 Posts: 863 Location: Spalding, Lincs, UK
Good work Simon!

EDIT; ...or not Wink I'm sure it's me, but whenever I try to run F/w patcher I get "Failed to load patch DreamFree.tfp" error message after trying to open the latest test firmware (whose filename I haven't altered). Tried a fresh download of the patch to no avail. It's in the same dir as f/w patcher prog.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:48 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Same here. If your .tfp is not in the directory then it works fine patching with the P and H modules but as soon as you put in the M module I get the same error as moley...

CW

moley6knipe
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Aug 2005 Posts: 863 Location: Spalding, Lincs, UK
Ah, didn't have time to try that this morning. How does the f/w pathcher find all three patches if they're in different dirs?

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Sorry, misunderstanding, if there are just the 2 patches then it works fine. I was just showing I know my patcher setup is ok and it's the patch that is causing an issue.

CW

simonc
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
I've just done a test with downloads of the latest FWPatcher (linked above), DreamFree.tfp and the test firmware and it patches fine. Are you sure you've got version 3 of the firmware patcher?
janilxx
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
Patcher complains something if it tries to open wrong version patches. Current patcher is version 3. Maybe something from patch have to be changed?
MikeyP
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
on a related issue -

Idea why can't we just have a different graphic stored in the firmware instead of the mystic dream graphic ? Idea

anyone tried that? Very Happy

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
chunkywizard
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
Hi Folks,

yep, it was a problem with using an out of date patcher. V3 works fine. Note, you need to upgrade the HDD and Power patches as well. They can be downloaded from TAPWorld.

Cheers

CW

moley6knipe
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
Out of interest, does anyone that's fitted a bigger Samsung drive know if the spin-up speed still improves with the HDD patch?

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
MikeyP wrote:
why can't we just have a different graphic stored in the firmware instead of the mystic dream graphic ?
It's certainly possible, but any graphic would have to compress down to the same size or smaller than the mystic dreams graphic which isn't guaranteed. Firebird's firmware patcher would also need updating to handle a dynamic input.

In summary, more effort than it's worth IMO.
MikeyP
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
fair enough

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
janilxx
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
moley6knipe wrote:
Out of interest, does anyone that's fitted a bigger Samsung drive know if the spin-up speed still improves with the HDD patch?

FYI: HDD patch has not been needed in autumn 2006 or newer Finnish FWs. Maybe the same problem has been solved in your new FWs as well
vroomfondle
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
moley6knipe wrote:

as far as I recall there was some improvement but fairly small.

DeadBeef
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jan 2006 Posts: 264
You can measure the improvement of the start delay with the TAP ElapsedTime. It has to be the first TAP in Autostart to provide a reliable value. The time value displayed by the TAP does not include the execution time of the bootloader.

With respect to the HDD patch I would say that the firmware patcher would not be able to find the appropriate code sequence if the firmware already implemented the feature.