Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Gappy EPG data with Jags EPG

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
richie
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 156 Location: Ash Vale (Hannington)
Hello,
Situation - old firmware, latest Jags working in "old" mode, with a 3 hour scan period set to scan 100 channels between 02:59 and 06:01. Toppy programmed to come on non-recording between 03:00 and 06:00, tuned to BBC1.

EPG data for at least ITV and channel4, and probably other channels, often stretches ahead a few days, but invariably there is no info between 6pm and sometime early the next morning (ie the most useful data is missing!)

I have tried setting several toppy timers to switch to BBC1 for half an hour, ITV1 for half an hour, etc - no joy. A couple of days ago I initiated a manual Jags scan, and saveed the data afterwards using the red button. Still the EPG is gappy.

Signal level 75%, West London area. I always found the standard EPG slow to fill normally, so I suspect the 20 second period is not enough. Seems odd that it is always the evening chunk missing though.

Any ideas ...?

I've read up on this as much as I can, and my conclusion is that there is no known solution and that a few, but not many, people are experiencing similar problems.

Thanks!
Rich
IanP
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
I think this may be an API issue. The Toppy can be on a channel for ages without fully populating the event data for that channel as returned by the TAP API. However if you go into the default Toppy EPG and look ahead several days the Toppy EPG is able to find the data after a few seconds (this data then becomes available via the TAP API until the toppy decides to free up some of the EPG buffer).
richie
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 156 Location: Ash Vale (Hannington)
Am I right in thinking this issue is not fixed by the latest firmware?

It seems odd to me that it is always the evening times that are missing.

Rich
mcgillca
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 May 2005 Posts: 57
I have the same problem - I have the new firmware, so not sorted out by this update. I too am living in the west London area, with a signal level of about 75%.

After a manual JAG scan, I looked at the topfield EPG - and it too was missing the early evening data - so not sure it is an API issue .

However, when left for a few seconds, this data began to populate.

I may have to resort to using the Topfield EPG!
s7uar7
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 196 Location: Chalfont St Giles
I've been using Jag's EPG for a few weeks now, and I've only just started noticing this happening. It could, of course, been doing it all the time and I've only just noticed, but I don't think so. Possibly coincidentally, I'm also west of London on the Crystal Palace transmitter.
Beancounter
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 163
I have been finding this recently too although if I switch to the Toppy epg it is missing data too for a few seconds. I thought with jags epg, the data was saved onto the HD but I often find data that WAS there has dissapeared. Mad
tichtich
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
I've just had some EPG data disappear too, but I'm not sure that it had been written to hard disk. I may have rebooted without forcing a save first.

I also noticed one of my timer events disappear, because it was created by a search which had a match in the lost data. Presumably, when the TAP does a search (e.g. at boot-up), it deletes all existing search-based timer events before generating a new set.

So I went into the standard EPG for the channel, got the data back, returned to JAG's EPG, checked the data was there, made sure to save to disk (red button), and rebooted. This time the data weren't lost, the TAP found the match and recreated the timer event.

P.S. I just did a manually-initiated scan (2 x Play) and found some data got lost from the disk. I would think this is because the TAP clears the whole buffer before it does the scan, rather than just adding the newly received data to the old.

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
s7uar7
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:55 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 196 Location: Chalfont St Giles
Just out of interest, have those that are missing EPG data deleted any channels? My problems only seem to have started since I deleted the MUX A channels (because of poor signal).
mcgillca
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 May 2005 Posts: 57
No, I've never deleted any channels - but I would like to (what's the point of being able to change to a channel I can't (Top up TV) or don't want to (shopping channels) watch?

How did you delete the channels?

Colin
tichtich
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
mcgillca wrote:
How did you delete the channels?

Press "List" to bring up the basic channel list, select the channel, and press the red button to bring up an Options menu. You can't delete channels while recording.

I've deleted all encrypted channels, all shopping channels and a couple of others. I deleted Teletext as I never use it and it was wasting a line in the first page of JAG's EPG. Now I can see all my most favourite channels (including UK TV History) on the first page.

I'm very doubtful that this is the cause of the missing EPG data.

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
richie
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I deleted a couple of unused channels so that all my fave channels would fit on the first page of Jag's multichannel display.

What's the best way of rescanning / reinstating the channels from scratch without losing any timers (eg to get E4+1 too )

Any ideas why this might affect Jag's? I know it's a shot in the dark, but it's worth following up. The Toppy EPG is able to quickly get the stuff that Jags does not.

Rich
PhilBamforth
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I have had similar problems, a month or so ago I was not having any problems but recently some channels have had really hit and miss EPG data. Particularly ITV(1 & 2) and Ch5.

If you want to reset everything I think there is a TAP out there to backup or restore your timers to a file. Have a look at "Timer Backup" and "Timer Restore" on the Tap pages. Not sure if they work on the UK version though, has anyone tested them ?
PhilBamforth
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:26 pm Reply with quote
richie wrote:

What's the best way of rescanning / reinstating the channels from scratch without losing any timers (eg to get E4+1 too )

Rich

I had a go at this last night, I went to the installation page and started an auto scan which appeared to clear all the channels and then add all the new ones.
All my timers still look ok though so I then went on and deleted all the ones I don't use. The timers still worked ok.
Now got E4+1 and no clutter.
Dovad
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:09 am Reply with quote
I am new to toppy and am experiancing these problems of Gappy data. I am in Weston-s-Mare and in direct line of sight tot he Mendip TX.

It took me long enough to convince the missus to get one of these boxes but now she is dismayed by the gappy data. I notice it in ITV1, but may affect other channels (only had box 3 days). I set seach words and noticed that it had added events on Wed and Thurs, but not the Mon-Tue events (Emmerdale) - that is what made me realise this data was missing.

I have latest toppy firmware and latest Jag EPG.

Am I right in thinking that as satandard the topppy does not have a search facility? This is probably the best feature of such a box!

If anyone has up to date work arounds for this problem, please can you update me/the forum.

I would be quite happy if I could download the complete EPG and just dump it on the box each week, but I think that JAG must delete it all each update.

Thanks,
tichtich
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Dovad wrote:
Am I right in thinking that as satandard the topppy does not have a search facility? This is probably the best feature of such a box!

Yes, and I agree!

Dovad wrote:
If anyone has up to date work arounds for this problem, please can you update me/the forum.

For manual EPG use, you could try leaving leaving the Toppy tuned to ITV1 (or whatever channel you're interested in) for a couple of minutes before entering Jag's EPG.

I would also suggest setting the search frequency (item 5 in Jag's settings menu) to every 10 minutes, so the programms will be picked up by a search eventually, as long as it appears in the EPG at some stage at least 10 minutes before the start time.

Unfortunately, it's not clear exactly what Jag's EPG does with the EPG data, and the manual doesn't help much. But it has been suggested that the 20 seconds per channel used by Jag's scan may not be enough, and he has said he will make this configurable in a future version.

There has been some talk about software for downloading the DigiGuide EPG to the Toppy. But I don't know what the status of this is.