Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff/General recording question

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ginner
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Dec 2006 Posts: 104
Not sure if this is specific to Mystuff or not. I'm just looking for confirmation as to what actually happens when timers are set and I'm watching something. The toppy manual says if a timer's running and you hit a button, it assumes you don't want the box to go to sleep afterwards. But in the MS man it says you should set a sleep timer if you're filing stuff, so that suggests that it will then go to sleep. I've just set a load of timers for the week but am wondering what happens when I start watching.

Sorry if it's in the manual but I'm still only half way through Wink

Cheers
Kev
eye of ra
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Dec 2005 Posts: 1018
If the Toppy is in standby and wakes up for a timer (when your asleep) it will go to sleep again afterwards, unless a key is pressed. It then assumes you are around and will turn it off when required.

A sleep timer is for when you have been watching and wish to go to bed but the Toppy is recording.

AccurateBM 0.4 | EITDupFix.
TapLauncher: MeiSearch 1.37 | Media Manager 1.5 | Tap Commander 1.32 | HDFW 2.3a.
Updated:15-05-08
Richard46
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
ginner wrote:
But in the MS man it says you should set a sleep timer if you're filing stuff,

Hi Kev
Not sure what that means (what page is that on) but in practice I dont think you will usually need to set a sleep timer. Toppy/MyStuff sets one automatically if you press power off while a recording is still taking place. The Toppy then waits till the recording finishes plus a few minutes and then switches itself to standby.
If you are watching live TV (filthy habit Laughing ) when a recording starts you should just notice a roundel come up to tell you and thats it. If two start at the same time so using both tuners then you may not be able to carrying on watching live depending on which channels you are recording and which you you want to watch. You will still be able to watch some live or watch a recording. The MyStuff guide 'greys out' the live channels that are locked out by the two recordings.
This all makes a bit more sense in practice than on paper I suspect.
Richard

TF5800 Silver;5.13.40 TF5800 Black; 5.12.88 TAPs: MYStuff /OneList v2; DeadBeefs TF5000 Display v1.42; Remote Extender 1.5; Description Extender 2.1; mcgCYRResume V1;MforR3NST; +on one Toppy DumbWidescreenTV2.31EPG info: eit2mei b7.7 beta Taps not auto:TAPCommander; RadioDelete Remotes: Harmony 655 & 885 TX: Crystal Palace
eye of ra
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Richard

Don?t you mean MS may do all this in NG. It doesn?t in the current version.

TapLauncher: MeiSearch 1.37 | Media Manager 1.5 | Tap Commander 1.32 | HDFW 2.3a.
chunkywizard
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Richard46 wrote:
ginner wrote:

Hi Kev
Not sure what that means (what page is that on) but in practice I dont think you will usually need to set a sleep timer. Toppy/MyStuff sets one automatically if you press power off while a recording is still taking place. The Toppy then waits till the recording finishes plus a few minutes and then switches itself to standby.
If you are watching live TV (filthy habit Laughing ) when a recording starts you should just notice a roundel come up to tell you and thats it. If two start at the same time so using both tuners then you may not be able to carrying on watching live depending on which channels you are recording and which you you want to watch. You will still be able to watch some live or watch a recording. The MyStuff guide 'greys out' the live channels that are locked out by the two recordings.
This all makes a bit more sense in practice than on paper I suspect.
Richard

Hi there,

if you are currently recording and watching the Toppy, you wish to go to bed and have the toppy turn off after you then it is suggested you set a sleep timer to force the Toppy to go to sleep after the recording has finished. If you just power off then you may find that Autofiling of the recording fails. Setting the sleep timer allows time for the filing to occur.

BTW Richard, I think you will find that 4.54e does not grey out unavailable channels, it's only NextGen that does this Wink

CW

Richard46
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
eye of ra wrote:
Richard

Oh damm; getting confused Embarassed
Edit; However I think even the vanilla Toppy waits till the recording finishes and then switches off so long as you just press standby and leave the on/off dialogue box on screen.

Richard

Last edited by Richard46 on Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

TF5800 Silver;5.13.40 TF5800 Black; 5.12.88 TAPs: MYStuff /OneList v2; DeadBeefs TF5000 Display v1.42; Remote Extender 1.5; Description Extender 2.1; mcgCYRResume V1;MforR3NST; +on one Toppy DumbWidescreenTV2.31EPG info: eit2mei b7.7 beta Taps not auto:TAPCommander; RadioDelete Remotes: Harmony 655 & 885 TX: Crystal Palace
ginner
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Richard46 wrote:
ginner wrote:

Hi Kev
Not sure what that means (what page is that on) but in practice I dont think you will usually need to set a sleep timer. Toppy/MyStuff sets one automatically if you press power off while a recording is still taking place. The Toppy then waits till the recording finishes plus a few minutes and then switches itself to standby.Richard

Hi Richard/EOR

Thanks for the quick answers.
Section 6.2.4 Filing Recordings wrote:
Note that if you have a currently recording programme set to automove and you wish to turn the Toppy off, please use the sleep timer. This can be done by pressing Option, selecting the timer and pressing right to set it to 10 minutes. This will ensure the filing happens correctly. Pressing the power key to turn the Toppy off instead will result in the programme not being filed.

OK it wasn't set to automove but if I read right then a sleep timer should allow the toppy to "hybernate" quietly without the immediate forced shutdown.

I'd set a timer for a single program using MS and put the toppy in standby. After the timer kicked in I turned the telly on and watched a few minutes of the live broadcast. When I put the toppy into standby (half way through recording, the standard toppy message "recording not completed, do you really want to power off" so I said yes - the toppy powered off immediately and recording stopped - would a 10 minute sleep timer have sorted that?

Kev
ginner
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Richard46 wrote:
eye of ra wrote:
Richard

Oh damm; getting confused Embarassed

Ha - if only I had the pre-release... Laughing

CW - just seen your post - cheers, that's what I thought.
Richard46
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I am just going to shut up Laughing

eye of ra
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Yep a sleep timer would sort this, set it to 10 mins, it will count down to 9 then pause till after the recording has finished then count down the rest and turn off.

In your particular case as the Toppy had come out of standby for a timer and you had only turned the TV on and not touched any Toppy keys it would have turned itself back off without a sleep timer.

chunkywizard
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
ginner wrote:

I'd set a timer for a single program using MS and put the toppy in standby. After the timer kicked in I turned the telly on and watched a few minutes of the live broadcast. When I put the toppy into standby (half way through recording, the standard toppy message "recording not completed, do you really want to power off" so I said yes - the toppy powered off immediately and recording stopped - would a 10 minute sleep timer have sorted that?

Kev

If you had said 'no' to that message the recording would have continued and the Toppy would have turned off afterwards (and autofiling may have failed). If you had set a sleep timer then the recording would have finished, the Toppy would have turned off and autofiling would have been fine.

O.k.?

CW

eye of ra
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Richard46 wrote:
Edit; However I think even the vanilla Toppy waits till the recording finishes and then switches off so long as you just press standby and leave the on/off dialogue box on screen.

This is true but it has been mentioned before its not a good idea, and if you wish autofiling to work a bad idea.

ginner
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
If you had said 'no' to that message the recording would have continued and the Toppy would have turned off afterwards (and autofiling may have failed)

I forgot to mention I had actually hit a toppy key to test it.

eye of ra wrote:
Yep a sleep timer would sort this, set it to 10 mins, it will count down to 9 then pause till after the recording has finished then count down the rest and turn off.

In your particular case as the Toppy had come out of standby for a timer and you had only turned the TV on and not touched any Toppy keys it would have turned itself back off without a sleep timer.

cool cheers. That explains perfectly. Thx guys. Can't wait for NG Smile
ginner
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
chunkywizard wrote:
BTW Richard, I think you will find that 4.54e does not grey out unavailable channels, it's only NextGen that does this Wink

CW - actually it does Very Happy
chunkywizard
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
[Panto On]oh no it doesn't![Panto off]

It greys out programmes in the past, but if you do two recordings at once 4.54e does not show you which channels are available to watch(ie which are on the same mux as the 2 recordings). The skin element was only added a few weeks back to MS NextGen...

CW