Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Newbie - Firmware Update Query

Page 1 of 1
legoman
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Hi all - Topfield Newbie here

Just purchased TF5800PVR as my Digifusion FVRT200 expired. Happy with it so far but have a couple of queries for you guys.

1) I live 2 miles south of Crystal Palace and my channel scans have several in the 1000 range. I have read some of the posts and understand this is to do with the recent transmission changes. I also understand I can get a 5.13 series firmware that might fix this but I will lose the series link function. I notice the Topfield website offers 5.14.09 which amongst other things suggests a fix to the channel number issue. My system details are

ID: 456
Loader: C5.14
Device: v5.14.10
SW: TF-NPT 5.14.08
HW: v1.01
Last update: Mar 04 2008

Can you recommend an upgrade to 5.14.09? If not why not? Can you also tell me where on the Topfield site i can find the OTA dates for d/l this software version? Its not clear!

2) I can't alter the start and end times on a series linked programme. The 5.14.09 version suggess that is fixed too. Is that right?

3) I can connect my laptop running Vista to the 5800 but do I need Vista versions of Topfield d/l s/w?

Hope you can help!
juwlz
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
legoman wrote:
Hi all - Topfield Newbie here
Welcome!
Quote:
1) I live 2 miles south of Crystal Palace and my channel scans have several in the 1000 range. I have read some of the posts and understand this is to do with the recent transmission changes. I also understand I can get a 5.13 series firmware that might fix this but I will lose the series link function. I notice the Topfield website offers 5.14.09 which amongst other things suggests a fix to the channel number issue.

Can you recommend an upgrade to 5.14.09? If not why not?
No. See this thread, links to others in it (and many others) for reasons why not (incuding a list of all the known bugs).
Quote:
Can you also tell me where on the Topfield site i can find the OTA dates for d/l this software version? Its not clear!
Topfield are doing a lousy job of UK fixes atm. You're best off ignoring their website for the time-being. The best it can offer is what you've already got. So the short answer is stick to what's available from the Toppy.org.uk website and follow R2-D2's recommendations.
Quote:

2) I can't alter the start and end times on a series linked programme. The 5.14.09 version suggests that is fixed too. Is that right?
Not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can't. Once of the problems with Topfield's Freeview+ firmware is that it relies totally and absolutely on the broadcasters' signals, so if the broadcasters don't signal correctly (and some are better than others), your timers can't react correctly. That's one of the reasons why 5.13.65+patches is better than 5.14.xx. You can still get (a better implementation of) SeriesLink and be able to extend your timers if they overrun on 5.13.65 by adding a couple of TAPs and patches (namely Sl patch, SeriesLink TAP and Extend TAP). You will also be able to manually pad your timers.

I don't use Vista, so can't help with that, but people have had varying mileage with the two dll versions.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
legoman
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Julie

That's great thanks. I'm ok with computers but I have to confess to being a bit wary of updating the s/w and so invalidating the warranty. I suspect its probably straightforward but I will carry on with the toppy "out of the box" for the time being.

I do think that your average PVR buyer could be put off the toppy because of the set up issues but for what its worth, I think its perfectly possible to use it without doing so. I have decided simply to delete channels I don't watch (just how popular is Gems TV!) and set up a favourites list. Now my favourites are all I see in the EPG and I select a channel to watch from my personal list via the "OK" button - simple!

The only downside is that a couple of channels are numbered strangely but what the heck - its really no big deal, and so far I'm really pleased with the toppy.

Forum looks good too, and I expect to be back here often!
juwlz
Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Updating your firmware will NOT affect your warranty in any way, any more than installing Windows updates would invalidate your PC's warranty. The only way you will do that is by opening the case and breaking the seal.

Assuming you have a Windows PC, have a look here for how to do the update and get yourself the most stable firmware possible, and avoid problems that you will almost certainly otherwise get (missed recordings, and all the other things listed in the bugs thread posted earlier).

Julie

js5800
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Jan 2009 Posts: 136
if you want to leave it as standard but with firmware which should correct the channel number problems and also improve the series link then you need to flash the latest firmware from the topfield uk site.

when i first got mine a couple of months ago, i tested this for about a week, and it's really not that bad, much better than the 5.14.08 you are using.

link: http://www.topfield.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23:tf5800pvrt-tf5810pvrt-firmware&catid=11:firmware-downloads&Itemid=8

thats the download page, you want the 5.14.09+ firmware at the bottom of the page, or direct link here:

http://www.topfield.co.uk/attachments/023_TF5800PVR_456-458_5.14.09Plus.zip

you will also need the topfield tools for windows installed on your pc to flash the firmware (should be ok on vista).

http://www.topfield.co.uk/attachments/016_Topfield%20Tools.zip

as you can see from my sig, i went down the mystuff route, because once you put that on you will never want to go back.

juwlz
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
js5800 wrote:
if you want to leave it as standard but with firmware which should correct the channel number problems and also improve the series link then you need to flash the latest firmware from the topfield uk site.
Depends what you mean by the Topfield UK site. The "official" firmware (currently 5.14.08 ) is definitely NOT a good idea. To make sure you're up to date with the most stable (recommended) firmware, including all recommended bug fix patches, use the Toppy Firmware Loader which runs on Windows PCs and automates the process for you.

If you install the Freeview+ firmware as in the previous link, you will
a) almost certainly need to add patches to fix other bugs, and
b) keep getting recommendations from people on the forums to ditch it in favour of the infinitely more stable non-Freeview+ firmware (based on 5.13.65) that the Firmware loaded with install for you. You can still get Freeview+ functionality on this firmware (and still be able to add your own padding too, which you can't do on 5.14.xx) by adding the SeriesLink TAP (and Sl patch) and the Extend TAP.

Julie

Julie

js5800
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Jan 2009 Posts: 136
Julie, i completely agree, but there are a lot of people who just want to flash a firmware with the channel numbers fixed and freeview+, without either patching the firmware themselves or using taps. its just another option if anyone wants to use it.

i thought the topfield uk site was www.topfield.co.uk thats what i meant by the topfield uk site i mentioned.

out of curiosity, if 5.14.08 is the "official" firmware then what is this 5.14.09+ available from the above mentioned site? has it been prepatched by r2d2 or something?

i know for a fact it is much better than 5.14.08 and would recommend that anyone who is on 5.14.08 and doesnt want to use 5.13.65 uses it instead.

juwlz
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
js5800 wrote:
Out of curiosity, if 5.14.08 is the "official" firmware then what is this 5.14.09+ available from the above mentioned site? has it been prepatched by r2d2 or something?
Yes, 5.14.09+ is 5.14.08 plus R2-D2's early patches for some of the big show-stopping bugs. Turbosat started shipping new machines with it installed rather than 5.14.08 (so that they could still tick the Freeview+ compatibility box but with a bit less grief out of the box). However, more patches have been produced since the advent of 5.14.09+, so for the most stable possible Freeview+ firmware, you'd still need to add more patches.

For the MOST stable setup with Freeview+ functionality plus the ability to add manual padding if you want to (and it's a very sensible thing to do), use 5.13.65 plus SeriesLink TAP, with Sl patch, and add the Extend TAP to catch the end of overrunning recordings (as long as the broadcasters get the signal right ... but you're in the same boat there whichever firmware you choose).

Julie

legoman
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Julie

As my toppy has again wiped my library I might try the firmware upgrade you suggest. In the memebers area I can find two 13.65 firmwares: TF5800NITfix1365.tfd and TF5800-5.13.65beta.zip. Which one should i use?

Also I looked in the TAP area and can't find the SeriesLink TAP or SI patch. Can you point me in the right direction please?

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
legoman wrote:
Julie

As my toppy has again wiped my library I might try the firmware upgrade you suggest. In the memebers area I can find two 13.65 firmwares: TF5800NITfix1365.tfd and TF5800-5.13.65beta.zip. Which one should i use?
Neither. Use the more up to date Recommended fully patched Firmware. If you have a Windows PC, you can use the Firmware Loader.
Quote:
Also I looked in the TAP area and can't find the SeriesLink TAP or SI patch. Can you point me in the right direction please?
All patches start with a capital letter, and if there's a second letter it's always lower case, and you can find them all listed on R2-D2's patch page. So the patch you want is Sl (SeriesLink), not SI.

The SeriesLink TAP was only originally ever intended to be an interim solution, so you need to get it from the link in its forum thread.

Julie