Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Signal Monitor TAP V0.54

Page 3 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
charley
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2005 Posts: 1563 Location: Belfast
Just to give you some feedback. 0.12 is working OK with me. I had previously tried 0.1 which worked OK. I have not tried 0.11 but I guess that as .12 is working you don't need feedback on it.

Thanks for this useful TAP.

Toppy: TF5800PVR250GB &300GB;Firmware: ; Remote: Harmony 655; Tx:Divis; Autostart TAPs: MEISearch 1.35, MyStuff 6, AutoReboot V2.2, epg2mei, Power Manager v2.0, TAP Commander 1.2, TF5000 Display v1.50, MHEG_State; Other:
EMJB
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3639 Location: Maldon Essex
bellissimo wrote:
bdb's exTap library has routines to detect whether MHEG is turned on or not.

I am assuming you are referring to "exTAP_MHEG_Status". I read that as referring to the running state of MHEG on the current channel, rather than the global inhibit/enable setting which is what I need so I can return it to its original value. Certainly bdb did not volunteer this in his reply in http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6669. His other comments about channel changing are also a bit worrying as this TAP does a lot of that.

I suppose I could do a temporary inhibit after each channel change, but would it be too late to stop the loading message? It also looks a bit experimental and liable to change with the next firmware!. Is manuall inhibiting such a big deal for an infrequently used TAP? Anyway, I will add it to my "look at list", but probably after the ini file and generation of the results file.
bellissimo
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
Yeah, you're probably right. Not really worth the effort and it probably wouldn't kick in in time to stop the 'Loading' message.

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
EMJB
Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
malc wrote:
Might be a suggestion to dump the measurments to a text file that way users could copy and paste to these forums when asked signal questions.

bellissimo wrote:
Are you planning to add any config options? Obviously, amending the default LCN would be top of my list.

Both features now available in version 0.20, available from http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/SigMon0_20.zip. The zip includes some sample results and a demonstration "ini" file which is heavily annotated to show how to use it.

Without the "ini" file, it reverts searching through the list of five pre-defined channels per Mux, so UK users should not need to use one.

Feedback from users please!
MikB
Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 286 Location: West Midlands
EMJB wrote:

Very useful TAP, saves lots of fiddling in menus and scribbling down ...

There's a minor bug in the "record results" new feature though -- the numbers on screen look fine, but in the dumped file, it gives

T1 Level, T1 Quality, T1 Level Again, T2 Quality

(The 1st and 3rd columns of figures are always the same)

Cut and paste coding error? Been there, done that Smile

Mike.
EMJB
Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote
MikB wrote:
There's a minor bug in the "record results" new feature though -- the numbers on screen look fine, but in the dumped file, it gives

T1 Level, T1 Quality, T1 Level Again, T2 Quality

(The 1st and 3rd columns of figures are always the same)

Cut and paste coding error? Been there, done that Smile

Mike.

Oops! Quite right - hopefully corrected in V0.20a at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/SigMon0_20a.zip. Apologies for that.
alan_m
Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3511
[quote="EMJB"]

[color=red] Edit2[/color] Download link for latest version is [url]http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/SigMon0_20a.zip[/url][/quote]

A suggestion for a possible upgrade to the functionality

A useful feature would be to ensure that all the results from the 6 MUXs displayed were coming from the same transmitter assuming this information is available from the Toppy – I believe it is part of the transmitted information.

This type of information was one of the better things on my Daewoo Setpal box where all the signal strength and quality values from all the MUXs from the same transmitter were shown on the same screen. It allowed for DIY aerial installation using the set-top box display to check the optimum aerial position.

I have no problem with this TAP because I manually tune my Toppy into the MUXs from a single transmitter. However, if I run an auto scan I will receive information from at least 3 transmitters (multipath from many tall buildings close by). In the circumstance where someone has multiple copies of, say, BBC1 it would be beneficial to know that what was being displayed was from the same source and not a stray reflection (of variable quality) from another transmitter.
charley
Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
.20a is working well thanks.

I notice two anomalies in the saved text file.

The channel name for MUX1 should be BBC ONE NI for my region. It seems to be picking up some additional characters for ITV1 which is UTV in my region.

Mux 1: BBC ONE NIUTV on RF Ch 29:

At the the end of the text file there are a large number, typically more than 300, nul characters 00h. These do not show in Notepad but do in other editors eg Wordpad. Not a big issue, easily deleted, just wondered if you were aware.

Toppy: TF5800PVR250GB &300GB;Firmware: ; Remote: Harmony 655; Tx:Divis; Autostart TAPs: MEISearch 1.35, MyStuff 6, AutoReboot V2.2, epg2mei, Power Manager v2.0, TAP Commander 1.2, TF5000 Display v1.50, MHEG_State; Other:
EMJB
Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
EMJB wrote:

Edit2 Download link for latest version is http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/SigMon0_20a.zip

A suggestion for a possible upgrade to the functionality

A useful feature would be to ensure that all the results from the 6 MUXs displayed were coming from the same transmitter assuming this information is available from the Toppy ? I believe it is part of the transmitted information.

This type of information was one of the better things on my Daewoo Setpal box where all the signal strength and quality values from all the MUXs from the same transmitter were shown on the same screen. It allowed for DIY aerial installation using the set-top box display to check the optimum aerial position.

I have no problem with this TAP because I manually tune my Toppy into the MUXs from a single transmitter. However, if I run an auto scan I will receive information from at least 3 transmitters (multipath from many tall buildings close by). In the circumstance where someone has multiple copies of, say, BBC1 it would be beneficial to know that what was being displayed was from the same source and not a stray reflection (of variable quality) from another transmitter.

This overlaps the subject of my next project, which is to automatically delete unwanted duplicates, but to renumber/rename duplicates where they come from different regions - see http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6935. That thread also addresses the question of access to the TS stream to locate transmitter information.

The sources used will be those which you normally use, not the results of a scan done by this TAP. Assuming you have no duplicates, there will be no problems. Using the option to display RF channel numbers rather than channel names you can of course check those numbers against transmitter info at sites such as http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html to make sure you are picking up the right ones. There are so many problems of duplicated channels that I assumed no-one actually has them, and my new TAP project is aimed at helping people reach that happy state!

If my other project comes fully to fruition, leaving this TAP as it is will allow you define pseudo muxes for the regional variations in the .ini file (or I might even make that the default, which would fall back to the standard 6 when no regional ones are present), so you would have 8 muxes displayed A, B,C, D 2 versions of Mux 1 & 2 versions of Mux 2.

If what you want is to be able to monitor channels that are not in your Toppy channel list as your Daewoo does, that is a much bigger task which I am not prepared to contemplate at present
EMJB
Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
charley wrote:

The channel name for MUX1 should be BBC ONE NI for my region. It seems to be picking up some additional characters for ITV1 which is UTV in my region.

At the the end of the text file there are a large number, typically more than 300, nul characters 00h. These do not show in Notepad but do in other editors eg Wordpad. Not a big issue, easily deleted, just wondered if you were aware.

Thanks for the feedback.

Will look at the former - probably a problem with the handling of strings - something I find to be a problem in C after more friendly languages such as Delphi.

The null characters arise from the fact that the Toppy always makes the files 512 bytes long, so you have to pad it with something or you just get rubbish, so not much I can do other than change to some other character.
janilxx
Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
EMJB wrote:

TAP users, you can also rate TAPs in TAPWorld.
Open TAP
(e.g. http://www.tapworld.net/content/view/318/47/ )
and rate it.

This rate should even show some kind of overal satisfaction level for TAP.
EMJB
Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
charley wrote:

Hi charley,

Hope I have found the text file problem and fixed it in http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/SigMon0_20b.zip. Otherwise should be unchanged.

EMJB
charley
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quote
I'm afraid not, it is still there. It shows in the text file:

Signal Monitor V0.20b Results

Measured on 1/12/2006 at 0:26
Data format: T1 Levels, T1 Quality, T2 Levels, T2 Quality, all as Min:Average:Max %

Mux 1: BBC ONE NIUTV on RF Ch 29: 100:100:100 100:100:100 100:100:100 100:100:100

....snip....

Settle time:500 msecs - Sample time: 5 secs.

It is also there on screen if channel name is displayed but because the column width is restricted only the left side of the letter U is visible .

EMJB
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:38 am Reply with quote
charley wrote:
I'm afraid not, it is still there.

Oops - sorry - will have to have another lookat what s going on, but my problem has been unable to reproduce the problem. However had an idea, but am tied up for the next few days. Not exactly a major disaster, but it of course it offends me and in any case I want to learn how to avoid the problem next time when it might be important.

EMJB
janilxx
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
Hi EMJB,

It would be nice if you would create even a small homepage for this TAP. Then new versions could be found from that page also (not only from this thread).