<  TAPs  ~  Signal Monitor TAP V0.54

Page 2 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
EMJB
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3639 Location: Maldon Essex
janilxx wrote:
Can I use this image in TAPWorld?

EDIT: I decided to use it. Let me know if this is not ok.

No problem Edit: but perhaps you would be wise to let a few people try the TAP before including it on your site, especially as it is currently UK-specific

EMJB

Last edited by EMJB on Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paladin
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2006 Posts: 99 Location: Lichfield
EMJB wrote:
mr-b wrote:
Actually I have left feedback before on the TAP descriptions http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=68561#68561 Razz but no one seemed to be listening. Will remember to post in the TAPs forum now. Smile

Sorry to be pedantic, but that post refers to the layout/structure of the site rather than the descriptions of TAPs themselves. The former is something that only Nigel can tackle, whereas I can change the content (and unlike Nigel don't have a living to earn!). Please appreciate that there may be restrictions imposed by the software being used (which I imagine would be a horrific task to change), and that the advantages of a better way of doing things have to be weighed against the problems of locating and changing the existing instructions plus the confusion among those used to the present set-up.

When you make suggestions you must also appreciate that they are your personal opinion, and those who run the site may not agree with them or may simply feel they are not worth the effort for the reasons above. By all means make suggestions, but please don't expect them all to be taken up. I'm afraid there is only one way to get a site that is entirely to your liking, and that is to set up one of your own!

Sorry to drift off topic again, but perhaps there should be something in your description other than 'frequent contributor' to remind people that you are one of Nigel's Little Helpers? Similar to the way the MyStuff team are identified? I guess Nigel would need to change that...?
janilxx
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
EMJB wrote:
Edit: but perhaps you would be wise to let a few people try the TAP before including it on your site, especially as it is currently UK-specific

True, but it has been proved to be impossible or at least very irritating to maintain TAPWorld if we have big "add these later" list. And it is especially irritating to keep asking "can I now add this?" in forums. And special irritating if you do this in germany forum and no-one answers to you in english :-/

So we have decided to add almost everything right away as we find them.
EMJB
Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Version 0.11 now available from http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/SigMon0_11.zip. No major changes, but RF channel numbers are available as an alternative to programme names thus:

Andy K
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
can you put the download link to the latest version on the first page please. thanks
malc
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1380
Interest tap. Might be a suggestion to dump the measurments to a text file that way users could copy and paste to these forums when asked signal questions.

I've found out that my quality is all 100, my signal strength is 70+. On mux D it was 100 which a bit worrying given that too much signal can be problematic. Interestingly T2 mux C was in the 100's. The 2 tuners are fed separately from an aerial power supply splitter. This powers the masthead amp. The aerial cable comes in one end, 2 come out the other. Swapping cables most moved the mux C 100 but perhaps made it a bit more balanced but not by much so I think that mostly it's due to one output being a touch higher.

EMJB
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
malc wrote:
Interest tap. Might be a suggestion to dump the measurments to a text file that way users could copy and paste to these forums when asked signal questions.

Good idea, but involves a new battlefield for me in terms of dealing with the hard disc! Nothing ever seems to work quite as expected, and I am having to learn C as well as fight the various peculiarities (and plain bugs) in the API. However will definitely add it to my to-do list.

Glad you found it works OK, so I will now add it to the library - wanted to make sure it worked for someone else first!
bellissimo
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 May 2005 Posts: 1997 Location: Reading
Hi EMJB,

I get an error when trying to get the signal for MUX 1, saying 'Warning - both channels apparently using Tuner 2', and I get no results for this Mux. Is there a certain channel I should be on when starting this TAP?

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
EMJB
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
bellissimo wrote:
Hi EMJB,

I get an error when trying to get the signal for MUX 1, saying 'Warning - both channels apparently using Tuner 2', and I get no results for this Mux. Is there a certain channel I should be on when starting this TAP?

No, it shouldn't matter. I have only had that message when there was a recording in progress - are you sure one hadn't started while you were running the TAP? However IIRC you get one measurement on the recording tuner for the recorded Mux, so it sounds as if that is not your problem.

The most likely reason for that message & those symptoms is that it is not managing to switch between tuners for some reason. The switch is done by issuing a "PiP Switch" pseudo keypress which could have been intercepted by another TAP. Were you running any other TAPs at the time (notably one intercepting the PiP Switch key)?

Did you have the PiP window open when you started? I don't see how it could affect the issue, but is something I have never tried.

EMJB
bellissimo
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
I rebooted and had no other TAPs running, but will try and investigate further. The only other factor is that I have deleted LCN 11, so I actually saw the results of BBC1 on whatever the mux for Sky Three is. Not sure if this would make a difference.

Are you planning to add any config options? Obviously, amending the default LCN would be top of my list Smile

Media Manager, Font Manager, Super PiP link: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~bellissimo
EMJB
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
bellissimo wrote:
I rebooted and had no other TAPs running, but will try and investigate further. The only other factor is that I have deleted LCN 11, so I actually saw the results of BBC1 on whatever the mux for Sky Three is. Not sure if this would make a difference.

I think I have an idea what is going wrong - the PiP channel is supposed to be 2 Muxes different from the main channel, so if two Muxes two apart are actually the same the Toppy will use the same tuner for both channels, and thus PipSwitch will not give the required tuner change. If you can let me know what channel you have on Mux C (UKTV History 12, E4+1 30, SmileTV 37,Sky News 82 or Sky Sports News 83) I will e-mail you a tailored version.

bellissimo wrote:
Are you planning to add any config options? Obviously, amending the default LCN would be top of my list Smile

Yes, if the TAP is generally found to work and be useful.
malc
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1380
The other thing I get when using this tap is that it looks like it tries one of the mheg channels or something (301?). I think I get a flash of the loading banner in the middle of the screen. That erases part of the results and they stay erased until next done in the loop. It would be nice ot stop that.

EMJB
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:56 pm Reply with quote
malc wrote:
The other thing I get when using this tap is that it looks like it tries one of the mheg channels or something (301?). I think I get a flash of the loading banner in the middle of the screen. That erases part of the results and they stay erased until next done in the loop. It would be nice ot stop that.

I think it is a "part-time" channels showing a message when it is not on-air. The only way I know of stopping this is to turn off the MHEG altogther, which (IIRC) I advised in the "readme". Please let me know if you still have the problem with MHEG off - I certainly don't.The alternative is to use full time channels, but on some muxes the only full time channels look as if they may be missing on many Toppies. The "ini" file may eventually help some people, but not all.

Unfortunately I have not found any way of finding out whether MHEG is on or off when the TAP starts, so if I turned it off in the TAP I would not know whether to turn it back on again at the end in the same way that I do for sound. However if anyone out there knows better, please advise!
EMJB
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Version 0.12 now available from http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/SigMon0_12.zip aims to address Bellissimo's problems in two ways:

(1) There are now a list of alternative LCN's for each Mux, in the the hope that at least one is on your Toppy.

(2) If it can't find a channel on a Mux, it doesn't try to measure on that Mux. However there is a lower limit of 4 Muxes, below which it will exit.

Unfortunately playing with my Toppy channels would risk serious upsets with SWMBO, so can't test the new logic, but it seems to work in the default case.

If I could find a way of finding whether a channel is "alive" I could address malc's problem in the same sort of way, but can't see how to do that from the Toppy API. Any clever person out there who knows how??
bellissimo
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Cheers for that EMJB, will give it a whirl later.

bdb's exTap library has routines to detect whether MHEG is turned on or not. It also has routines to turn it on and off.