Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  mystuff & eit2mei (Beta 7.5) Sky+ look alike problems

Page 1 of 1
m9sno
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Hi all, got my black (fed up with all the silver electrical goods these days!) 5800 pvr (250gig running 5.12.25) the other day and was going to leave it standard for a while to get used to it but curriosity got the better of me and i had to add a few TAPs to it!
What im after is a sky+ look alike epg.
I have put both files in the auto run folder (with a sky+ skin) and they both start however i seem to be getting problems with how my epg works. I have told mystuff to use the freeview epg loader mei thingy (as im using eit2mei) and they both seem to see eachother but im sure it needs some fine tuning somewhere..
when i click guide it comes up with most of the epg for many channels but not all of it. i did do a scan by pressing the menu button on the remote and then the recall key to get into the menu for the epg but now i cant seem to get it to work and do the scan.
Im willing to set a timer every night for my pvr to load new data and believe i have set a timer to do so-is it just a case of going into set timers and tell it to load the file rather than a channel by typing the complete (as it named-ie: "eit2mei Beta 7.5") ) file name into the box and setting it that way?
also while im here and asking questions i have found that when i press the channel +/- button the channels wont rapidly scan up or down with the program +/- buttons and to change a channel that way i have to wait until channel info display has gone from screen... its really annoying me!
I hope someone is able to assist me with some help as im really new to this!
thanks Smile
Michael
Richard46
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
Hi Michael and welcome; as for your second problem load Remote Extender TAP into Auto Start.

Richard

TF5800 Silver;5.13.40 TF5800 Black; 5.12.88 TAPs: MYStuff /OneList v2; DeadBeefs TF5000 Display v1.42; Remote Extender 1.5; Description Extender 2.1; mcgCYRResume V1;MforR3NST; +on one Toppy DumbWidescreenTV2.31EPG info: eit2mei b7.7 beta Taps not auto:TAPCommander; RadioDelete Remotes: Harmony 655 & 885 TX: Crystal Palace
Richard46
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
If I have any missing data I go to the Topfields own guide - press recall (the button below 7) that starts a scan on all channels. Wait til finished - Go to MyStuff menu and reload EPG Data - item next to bottom I think.

There are probably other ways but that got missing data for the new 5 US and 5 Life channels which I scanned for today and for which I had no EPG initially.

Richard

TF5800 Silver;5.13.40 TF5800 Black; 5.12.88 TAPs: MYStuff /OneList v2; DeadBeefs TF5000 Display v1.42; Remote Extender 1.5; Description Extender 2.1; mcgCYRResume V1;MforR3NST; +on one Toppy DumbWidescreenTV2.31EPG info: eit2mei b7.7 beta Taps not auto:TAPCommander; RadioDelete Remotes: Harmony 655 & 885 TX: Crystal Palace
m9sno
Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your help and ive tried installing all of the versions of the remote extender tap but it still does exactly the same thing as i mention (not changing up channel until the info box has gone off screen...). i have recently upgraded my firmware to the bastille day one seeing as everybody says get it...
any more ideas of how i can get this to work? all im wanting is a sky+ look alike (and an accurate) epg that doesnt have bits missing in itself when i use the mystuff tap, while if i press the guide button again (to show the toppy OE epg guide) it clearly has all the programs in it and to be able to change channels as the normal software allowed it to...
thankyou!
Michael
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
IIRC...

Pressing the channel +/- buttons on the remote wont actually change the channel viewed. It'll give you the "now" program info for the channel you've +/- too. If you want the Toppy to actually change the channel being viewed, then you need to press OK when you've reached a program description you consider you might want to watch.

In other words the N&N info isn't a method of changing channel, it's just telling you what is on now on other channels (surfing what's on). If you want to select a channel that you've seen a likely interesting program on, then press OK, this will then switch the Toppy to that channel.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
Richard46
Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
As you seem to have a couple of TAPs that are not working automatically perhaps you have not put them into Auto Start. They only work automatically from there.
Let us know if you have already done that.

Richard

Richard46
Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Hyde has understood your problem better than me. If so why not just press escape; info goes; and then change channel?

m9sno
Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Hi Richard and Hyde, thanks for your help Smile i have got these taps installed in auto start and cant see any use/benefit of the remote extender tap.
i have just given epg navigator a go and thats not bad and is alot more reliable (only been using it 10 mins!) as it has stored all my epg guide unlike the mystuff/eit2mei version.
id be reasonably happy with the epg navigator but as i have now seen what the mystuff version can look like (when it is doing what its meant to!) id like it back.
so, as hyde suggests, i need to press ok to view the channel before changing up again but how am i missing all this epg info as my toppy clearly has it in the original topfield guide but large chunks are missing on the mystuff version.
cheers Smile
Michael
Richard46
Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Go into MyStuff Menu and check H3 is set to Freeview.mei although dont think you would get anything if it was not so just checking.
Go to Toppy menu and press recall; button below 7. That brings up eit2mei setup. Set Scan to background with pause button although it should default to background anyway IIRC.
Press Esc.
Go to Toppy Guide (BBC1) and press recall; a quick scan will start.
When finished go to MyStuff menu press up twice to reload EPG item and press OK.
Fingers crossed that lot should work
Richard

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
OK.... Assuming you've got RemoteExtender installed in AutoStart and forcing channel changes with the OK key, having surfed to something you like the look off..........

Let's turn our attention to the missing epg data. This can be down to a number of things Sad

Firstly...

Have you got duplicate LCN's? Press OK (without any other MyStuff or Toppy UI on display) and you'll get the Toppy TV channel listing. Scroll down and see if you've got any channels that occupy the same Logical Channel Number (LCN).

If you have channels that occupy the same LCN number, do they also have the same "ch" number (Frequency)? If so, these are part time channels and you can safely delete either entry.

If they have the same LCN number, but a different "ch" number, then you're picking up channels from more than one transmitter. Check which transmitter your aerial is pointing at by looking at the following web sites:-

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

and:-

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/transmitters.html

Have you copied/created an ini file of your own making for the eit2mei TAP? Or have you simply copied the .TAP file across and then selected the way it should run from it's configuration screen activated by pressing Menu > Recall?

and then let it perform a full scan? That'll give you a full EPG, then you can change the basic configuration for eit2mei to perform background scans only. Providing of course that your general viewing habits are that you sit there watching something for more than 15 minutes without touching any buttons on the remote for a good deal of the time that the Toppy is on (not recording or playing back), or that your create a specific "Watch" timer (see the MyStuff Manual) that has a suitable duration to either encompass the 15 minutes elapsed remote button pressing window of the eit2mei TAP, or like me you edit the eit2mei ini to use an elapsed time of 5 minutes with a MyStuff Watch timer set to 15 minutes at 7AM, when I know I'm not using the Toppy to do anything else.

HTH Very Happy

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
m9sno
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote
Hi Hyde, it turns out that it was the duplicate channels causing the problem, i seem to be getting about 2-3 channels of the same! i know that my aerial is pointed at sudbury but i am getting channels from sandy heath (totaly the opposite way!) and tachelston which geographicly is in the same direction as sudbury from me.
my epg is now much improved and i thank you for your advice! Smile
can i ask a couple more questions on the subject? i cant seem to get into the eit2mei set up menu anymore (i press all the buttons that need to be pressed) but it wont come up with the options for it...
also what exactly will remote extender do for me as i had it installed and coundnt notice anything different Confused
Can you recomend any more taps for me that you think may be worth a try?
Thanks Smile
Michael
Richard46
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote
m9sno wrote:
i cant seem to get into the eit2mei set up menu anymore (i press all the buttons that need to be pressed) but it wont come up with the options for it...

Are you sure you are in the Toppy Menu when you press recall; not the MyStuff Menu. Actually come to think of it you used to just press recall with older versions now you need to be in Menu first. It can take a few seconds to appear

Richard

m9sno
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Hi Richard, yes ive been in all the toppy oe menus and tried it! Confused
Richard46
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
m9sno wrote:
Hi Richard, yes ive been in all the toppy oe menus and tried it! Confused

Well thats odd; you should just be able to press MENU -RECALL and it comes up.
Perhaps post problem in the main eit2mei thread.

Richard