Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  New feature/existing feature requests

Page 1 of 1
Traxmaster
Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
Nigel, do you know if Topfield will be working on new feature requests or existing feature requests?

I have several friends who would like to purchase a PVR but I can't reccomend the Topfield unless I know the interrupted play issues will be fixed.

These have been highlighted in the German and Australian forums for over a year but have never been addressed.

Topfield were quick to make bug fixes but will they be quick to modify existing features?
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
I really don't know at the moment. I hope I'll be able to find out a bit more later this week.

Nigel.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply.
DB1
Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
Nigel

We *may* get a better response from Topfield if we ask for a selectable action at the end of a recording rather than having it hard coded to work a different way - After all they must have had a reason to do it that way and keep it that way.
Richard46
Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
DB1 wrote:
(,,,) After all they must have had a reason to do it that way and keep it that way.

,, and it would be fasinating to know what that reason was. (likewise why it takes you to the end of a recording if it still being recorded. Both these 'features' beat me). The interuption issue however is the reasons why my Toppy has not actually replaced my old Twin on our main AV system. It has had to stay in my den where I dont often record and watch at the same time. It would drive my girl friend mad; she likes TV not interuptions.
Actually everything else about the Toppy is so good I would have got two one for each of my systems but this isssue probably means my Twin replacement will be something else.
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Yes, it is irksome, and I'd love to see it tweaked, but it doesn't happen all the time, does it? I must admit to mild irritation when it does happen, but I've not really paid enough attention to work out when it does happen and when it doesn't - it's certainly not every recording that makes this happen

Nigel.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 May 2005 Posts: 162
I've not actually had this happen to me yet.

It's not when both tuners have been in use for recordings is it? Something similar happens when when a 2nd recording starts. When your watching live tv if a recording starts up you just get the record icon flash up. If a second recording starts you then get live tv switched to that channel with a message about checking timers. It does this to ensure that a tuner is available - presumably at one time it didn't support watching another channel on the same mux whilst recording 2 channels and so doesn't check in advance to see if the tuner is on the same mux.
Darkmatter
Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
It largely depends on how you use your Toppy: If you don?t use the dual record feature, nor timeshift a programme whilst it?s being record, then you are unlikely to be interrupted often.

I know of at least 4 scenarios where the Toppy interrupts viewing:
* Timer starts on the channel you are viewing: timeshift buffer is purged.
* Timer stops on the channel you are viewing: jumps to live TV, but leaves a bookmark in the recording.
* 2nd timer starting: warns main service is about to change.
* 2nd timer starting whilst in playback mode: warns main service is about to change, and leaves a bookmark in the playback file.
richie
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:57 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 156 Location: Ash Vale (Hannington)
If a Toppy is archiving to VCR or DVD recorder via playback at the time when this happens, the archive will be ruined and if done overnight the only way to find out will be by playng back the archive.

As far as Topfield should be concerned, is this not a bug then rather than a feature?
Darkmatter
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:35 am Reply with quote
Over on the Oz forums opinion is divided ? some are in favour of the jump to live TV. Personally, I find it incredibly annoying ? it has me scrambling for the remote.

Never the less, the argument in favour of the jump is to do with programmes that overrun their schedule. The jump to live TV gives you the opportunity to check whether the whole programme has been recorded, or if it?s still running (and you will miss the end).

Whilst I don?t like the feature, it has proved useful on a number of occasions ? I would have missed the end of the programme had it not been for the jump to live TV altering me of the schedule overrun.

It is incredibly annoying! I would much prefer it showed the live TV in a small PIP window ? I could live with that! In deed, if the PIP window automatically disappeared after a few seconds, this feature would be useful.

Most of all, it?s inconsistent ? look at cases 1,3 & 4 above, they just don?t make sense ? they all refer to timers starting.

The comment I left in the bug section says Topfield need to rethink how they implement this feature. If it was done properly, it would be a very useful feature, as it stands now ? it?s just plain annoying, and lets the TF5800 down greatly.
Traxmaster
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote
Ever had a chase play football match jump to live tv this is very very annoying.
I always use padding on the Topfield so never missed the end of anything.

If it does jump to live tv and you then realise you have missed the end what actions can you now take?

Is there an option to increase the recording or do you need to quickly start a new manual recording to catch the end?
Darkmatter
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
Yep, you just press record. Obviously that will start a new file, but at least you will get to see the end of the programme.

Re: the football match. I presume you mean when the Toppy jumped to live TV, the football match was still being broadcast, and you caught sight of the final score. Looking at the conditions where the Toppy does jump to live TV ? it appears as if your football match overran its schedule. If I have understood the conditions correctly, you were recording the match, and watching it back timeshifted ? the jump to live TV occurred when the timer finished.
Traxmaster
Posted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes thats correct,

Since getting a pvr we tend to record what we want, then start watching back when ready using timeshift or playback. Therefore we can cut out ads etc.

Because of the way we want to watch tv we get this jumping a lot of the time when new recordings start. After a jump to new recording we then have to playback from the library and the playback starts at current position which we then have to rewind to the beginning.

At present we now use the inverto for our main TV as its timeshifting/rewind/chase play capabilities are better.

To get around the twin buffer issue on the Topfield you just need to make sure you record anything that you may want to watch.

We do miss the Zap TV function when recording 2 channels at a time.

To compensate this we use the aerial loop through to the TV which allows us to switch the TV to analogue mode if there is something different on Channels 1 - 5 we want to watch.
Traxmaster
Posted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:59 pm Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
I really don't know at the moment. I hope I'll be able to find out a bit more later this week.

Nigel.

Have you had a chance to speak to Turbosat?
Any updates appreciated.