Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  What's the point of Meisearch?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
shappers
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
OK I should stress from the start that this is not meant as a criticism. More of a question/request for information.

Had the Toppy now for a week and have upgraded to Mystuff which works well. then I ran meisearch which is a great TAP, BUT, although it only records episodes you havn't already got, it doesn't keep on doing this on a regular basis. As i understand it you have to keep running it every week to search for the episodes you want and havn't got. And if you delete the episodes after you've watched them, then it picks them up again. Surely the best way to get only new episodes is to set up a careful control timer!

As far as I can see the only use for it is to see if there are movies comming up you don't know about or to find good 'middle of the night' repeats of favourite shows to record at the best time (with a control timer).
As for catching things like the odd horizon programme the best thing is a control timer as it won't be repeated 5 times in a week.

If anybody finds any other uses for it i'd be glad to hear it.

Great forum and site. You guys are the best!!
maverick
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jun 2005 Posts: 602 Location: Tunbridge Wells
shappers wrote:
As far as I can see the only use for it is to see if there are movies comming up you don't know about

That's pretty much it. If you use radio times data, about 30 genres are listed and I use it to check for upcoming documentaries and movies as I miss trailers courtesy of ad skipping. It is designed to compliment MS, not replace it. I use it once a week to set timers outside my CTs for one off events and find it a great tool.

Mav.

shappers
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
Cheers. Thats what I figured. Might try that radio times thingy!
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
Meisearch is based on genre search. As said if you get external data you have loads of genres to search.
It not for recording episodes every week MyStuff already does that.
Its purley based on genre and keyword searches.

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote
rbools
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 448
One of the strengths of MEISearch is its ability to search for keywords within the programme description rather then simply in the title (like MyStuff). Hence if you use comprehensive data (Radio Times etc.) then you may be more likely to pick up programmes that you otherwise may miss if your keyword doesn't happen to be in the title.

TAPs: NoExit 1.0; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.2; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MeiSearch 1.35; Power Manager v2.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Surfer v0.14; TAP Commander 1.34; TF5000 Display v1.53; TSSaver v0.5; UK Subtitle 1.9; MyInfo B5.4;
Sig generated by MyInfo TAP on 26/11/10
jindod
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Dec 2005 Posts: 285
also, if you press the slomo button it will set up a mystuff control timer.
cdmackay
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Nov 2005 Posts: 223 Location: Cambridge, Tx Sandy Heath
One feature I discovered by accident: if you press OK (to search) without having entered anything in the search field, it will churn for a while and then present you with every programme in the guide, in alphabetical.

If you've some minutes free, it's a great way to browse for stuff you didn't even realise was on Smile

Other OneForAll 12 Universal Remote URC-7781.
rwg
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote
TAP author Joined: 29 Oct 2005 Posts: 604 Location: Oxfordshire
Auto scheduling searches in MeiSearch is still somewhere on the to-do list... it's actually not too much work once I get around to doing saved searches (which would also save the filters you have applied too).

MeiSearch really came about because I used to have a Humax PVR before the toppy and I really missed the ability to search for upcoming films - the Humax had genre search but there was nothing on the toppy to do it at the time. Since then it's grown a lot, with the real goal being powerful searches but remaining fairly easy to use.

If anyone likes coding, the sourcecode to MeiSearch is available for tinkering/modification/re-use. Given that all the code to read the EPG, search, schedule timers, etc is written it wouldn't take long to write (for instance) a grid EPG TAP.

Robin

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
rwg wrote:
Auto scheduling searches in MeiSearch is still somewhere on the to-do list... it's actually not too much work once I get around to doing saved searches (which would also save the filters you have applied too).

I hope you can make such a version that manages consecutive timers even there is padding in use.

At least these two issues should be solved:
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=67784#67784
(in quote part)

MyStuff is currently the only TAP that handles second issue --> other search TAPs are totally useless in our family because some programs are not timered at all.
shappers
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Since posting my origional question I have begun to use Meisearch to regular look for upcomming films and have found it most useful.
would have completely missed 'battle royale' had it not been for this TAP.
I can safely say that I have now found the point of mysearch and consider myself well and truly told. Very Happy Very Happy
MillmoorRon
Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Aug 2006 Posts: 133
Out of interest, HOW did you use it to find that Battle Royale was on?
shappers
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
Did a genre search for films. Scroll down all films, see the awsome battle royale, set record, wait till Mrs is out, press play, light cigar, watch.
In that order.
MillmoorRon
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Aug 2006 Posts: 133
Ah!

It doesn't have a filter for Japanese violence then?
shappers
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Now THAT would be a good TAP.

Search - death by mace in the mace
Result - Battle royal

Sweet!!!
ichilton
Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Aug 2006 Posts: 506
Hi,

I tried out meisearch last night, but for some reason I couldn't type - I could move backwards and forwards with the cursor but pressing the number buttons did nothing - any ideas?

Thanks

Ian