Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  Forum software

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
A forum software upgrade is planned for tomorrow, so the forum will be offline for at least part of the day.

This will also affect the Services section of the site, which will need some changes to integrate it with the new forum system.

Nigel.

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Due to some unexpected database problems, this update has been put back a little, until I have more time to thoroughly debug the change.

Sorry for the downtime today.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Would be great if you could use something that has RSS support.  It greatly speeds up monitoring site updates.
nwhitfield
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
If you know of something that does, let me know - but I won't necessarily turn on RSS support right away, even if we do install software that's capable of it. I want to keep an eye on the loading on the server, and the bandwidth, since there are a couple of sites for some of my commercial clients on the box as well.

Nigel.

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:43 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 38 Location: London, England
I help look after a forum (http://resource.dopus.com) which uses Xoops (http://www.xoops.org) which provides RSS support.

The RSS support is still reasonably new and I think there are still some issues with it, e.g. replies to subjects have the same subject lines as the original posts which confuses some RSS/mail clients, causing them to only show the original post. It's possible the newer versions have addressed the issues, though; I think the Xoops people are aware of them and will look at them eventually if they haven't already.

I didn't set the site up myself, but I'm on IRC every day with the person who did so if you have any questions about it that will make it easier to decide whether it's a good idea or not, just let me know and I'll pass them on (or provide IRC details if you want to chat with them on Quakenet).
matt
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
My main gripes with the existing forum:

1) you can't skip to the first new post in a thread. even from the notification email link.

2) multiple notification emails are sent out, which can be a pain with popular threads. i'd expect it to send one, then no more until I have revisited the thread.

3) only ten most recent posts are shown, which makes it even more difficult to keep track of the latest posts.

phpBB sorts all of these.

There is also an RSS add-on for it.

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I've been hacking the conversion code, and it looks ok on a dummy run, so I'm going to sort out the styling and a few other things, then I shall try the conversion tomorrow morning.

Nigel.

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Forum software will be changed overnight; the existing forum will be shut down at midnight, and the new one will be online by tomorrow morning.

(In fact, it'll likely be online by 1am).

Please remember to check your bookmarks, or access the forum via the button on the site home page.

The Site Services section will be inoperational for a little while, until I link it to the new forum software.

Nigel.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:39 am Reply with quote
The software has been upgraded, and it should be possible for all previous users to sign in with their existing name and password.

As far as I can tell, everything is working fine; please let me know if you experience any peculiar behaviour.

Nigel.
DB1
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
There does not seem to be a "catchup" function" anymore.

There *still* is not a "last unread" function.

I can't read the damn thing anyway because the font size is about a quater of the old one. Crying or Very sad
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote
I've tweaked the code for the new style to add a Mark all read option to the top menu; it was already at the bottom of the page.

If you find the font sizes too small, then you can now use your Profile page to change the style to the phpBB default of SubSilver.

I will amend the SubSilver style later to add the links to site services, and try to find time to create a slightly larger font version of the default style. This might happen later today, but I do have my volunteering to do this afternoon as well.

With regard to last unread message, the email that you'll be sent on threads that you're watching includes a link to take you directly to the new posts in that thread. You can also use the link at the bottom right of the main page to see all new threads since your last visit.

Nigel.

Last edited by nwhitfield on Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard46
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
For some unknown reason I could not stay on the site as a member until this morning. Could log in but as soon as I switched to a forum reverted to guest.
I presume the changes to the site software have something to do with it.

PS Nigel thanks for the PM on Digital Spy.

Richard
DB1
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
I've tweaked the code for the new style to add a Mark all read option to the top menu; it was already at the bottom of the page.

If you find the font sizes too small, then you can now use your Profile page to change the style to the phpBB default of SubSilver.

I will amend the SubSilver style later to add the links to site services, and try to find time to create a slightly larger font version of the default style. This might happen later today, but I do have my volunteering to do this afternoon as well.

With regard to last unread message, the email that you'll be sent on threads that you're watching includes a link to take you directly to the new posts in that thread. You can also use the link at the bottom right of the main page to see all new threads since your last visit.

Nigel.

Thanks for the quick reply/update Nigel. Now I can read it without my nose on my 19 inch CRT Smile But would still like it larger - Or user selectable.
DB1
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
Since the update the site is *extremely* slow - minutes to download almost anything.
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:19 am Reply with quote
There's now an additional style, called ToppyLarge, which you can select from your profile page, and I've made it the default for new users.

I'm aware of the speed issue; it was one of the concerns I had when I started the site, which was why we went for a different forum system initially.

I shall be addressing this as a matter of urgency this week; the best solution is likely more memory. I may be able to make a short-term fix before then, however.

Nigel.