Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  How often does the Toppy fail?

Page 1 of 1
tichtich
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
I'm still making my mind up whether to buy a Toppy. The one thing still putting me off is the number of serious failures--like lost recordings--which have been reported here. Of course, people don't post every time the Toppy doesn't fail, so it's difficult to judge how frequent such failures are. Would anyone care to hazard a guess about what proportion of recordings are lost, i.e. fail to record, end up as 0 byte files, have no sound (or the wrong sound!), etc? 1% of the time? 5%?

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
Sulli
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 250 Location: Manchester
I've filled by Toppys HDD many times over with recordings and have never had a missed recording or 0mb file. The 0mb file problem that some people suffered from I think has been fixed in new firmware. So 0% here

However I did suffer a lot with the blank screen recordings that happen a lot on timeshare channels. Fortunately the recordings can be viewed with a sequence of keystrokes. I got these all the time but none since the new firmware was released. I do not however recall seeing this as a fixed issued in the firmware release notes. 33% before new firmware, 0% now.
Darkmatter
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Only 1 failure ? it was prior to the update, and none since

[Edit : comment revised]

Last edited by Darkmatter on Sat May 21, 2005 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
IanP
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
Hi tichtich.

If you have good reception you will likely have very few if any problems with recordings (the major issues have probably been fixed by the new firmware). Generally a good PVR is more reliable at making recordings than manually programming a VCR.
waistcoat
Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Apr 2005 Posts: 109 Location: Welwyn Garden City [CP Transmitter]
I haven't had a failed recording since the upgrade (well actually since my factory reset after the upgrade - n'uff said), but I do have bad reception - doesn't mean it's perfect yet... I hope that when I get around to the planning permission for the external aerial then maybe that'll change...

My advice would be: If you get good digital reception, you'll be very well impressed - not that the toppy has bad reception itself - it's better than both my Phillips OnDigital & Pace ITVDigital boxes!!

-Steve
Aborigine
Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:53 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Apr 2005 Posts: 447 Location: Amersham
I've not had any sort of failed recording yet, after 3 weeks heavy use. By using JAGs EPG to automatically set timers you should not even lose recordings due to any bugs in the user!

My only problem now is finding time to watch all these recordings.
Traxmaster
Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
The worst fault of the Topfield is interrupted playback when a present recording finishes or a new one starts. This drives me up the wall that much I have changed back to using my inverto as the recorder for evening viewing. I now use the topfield as a second unit for making recordings that I may watch back at a later time.

When viewing tv in the evening we often want to watch programs that are on at the same time and also pause and sometimes rewind what we are watching, in my honest opinion the inverto handles this much better and also has 2 timeshift buffers when the topfield has only 1.

I am not sure this problem will ever will be addressed, it has been mentioned times on the german and australian forums but nothing has ever been done about it.

Can anyone confirm if Topfield will ever address the way this works.

If this issue is ever addressed then I would have no resitation in recommending the Topfield over every other PVR.
marctwo
Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 May 2005 Posts: 33
I haven't had a single fault in a month of Toppy ownership.
sebw
Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 293 Location: Southampton
Only recording losses I have had, have been due to the Standby during recording problem (Bug ID 32). Since using the new Sleep function and 11th May firmware, I have not lost any recordings.
tichtich
Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
Thanks for all the comments. It seems I needn't worry too much about failures to record.
Traxmaster wrote:
The worst fault of the Topfield is interrupted playback when a present recording finishes or a new one starts. This drives me up the wall that much I have changed back to using my inverto as the recorder for evening viewing.

This would really bug me too. I read about it before, but assumed it was something that would be fixed before too long. However, given what you say about it being a long-known problem in Australia and Germany, I'm beginning to wonder.

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009