Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Idiot's Guide to writing TAPs??

Page 1 of 1
tellyaddict
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Glossop, Derbyshire
Hello, everyone.

Please be nice to me - I debated long and hard on whether or not I should wear my crash helmet before posting this!

I'm not a programmer; I've only toyed around a (very) little bit with Visual Basic 6, and I've managed to compile a (very) few Linux Programs from source. That's all.

But, I'm keen to learn, and it occurs to me that trying to author a simple TAP or two might teach me something about the mysteries of programming, and would, no doubt, bring a certain sense of pride as well.

I believe that one way to learn about almost any computer-related subject is simply to jump in with both feet and experiment. So, I've downloaded Cygwin, gcc_for_tap.zip, and Tap API_ver_1.21. I now have a nice new directory named C:\cygwin complete with all its bits and bobs.

Stumbling already!

Not exactly sure where to unzip gcc_for_tap. The zip file contains the directory tree "gcc_for_tap\local, followed by four sub-directories:bin, include, lib, and mips. Where exactly in the C:\Cygwin directory tree should these go?

The next challenge is that one has to "set the path and parameter for compiler" by placing entries in Autoexec.bat. Fine, but I'm using WinXP - NO autoexec.bat!

After that - er, well - what?

If some generous soul would feel kindly enough to offer a little basic guidance, I guarantee to produce the TAP of everyone's dreams within one or two days/weeks/months/years/millenia (delete as appropriate!).

TIA

Ron, a.k.a. tellyaddict.
Darkmatter
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Take a look at this thread. By all means add a post to that thread if it doesn?t explain well any particular step.

One thing to note when reading that thread? the latest firmware upgrade has added support for API 1.21.
IanP
Posted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
see this thread for instructions on setting up the developement environment on XP.

If you don't have any experience of C it's going to be a steep learning curve to jump into programming TAPs but there are probably loads of tutorials on the net to get you started with C (you may be better off writing simple console programs for your PC to begin with). Later take a look at the source code for the Topfield example TAPs to get an idea of how the TAP API is used.

Beat me to the punch Darkmatter. Very Happy
tellyaddict
Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:13 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Glossop, Derbyshire
Darkmatter, IanP - many thanks for the reply, and for pointing me in the right direction.

Sorry, I did peruse the forum, but somehow managed to miss the "WinXP" thread.

Cheers.
JamesWSx
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'm going to have to dust off my programming skills for this and give it a go - why not, I'll pass the time when I have an evening spare Smile (And a lot of days at the moment).

I'm an old COBOL and Pascal programmer myself, self taught PHP and MySQL web developer .. I did attempt a C course but didn't have the time as I was still studying for my other qualifications.

Why not give it a go Smile

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 May 2005 Posts: 31
Hi,

I fancy a go at this as well. However I cannot find the gcc for tap file on the site. Does anyone have a direct link to it, or could it be hosted here?

Also what API should I be using. The guides section says use 1.20 although 1.21 is available.

Where as on the official site there is a 1.22 available. Confused

Any thoughts?