Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Streaming with Pinnicle Showcenter

Page 1 of 1
papadelta
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Having studied the forum, I have purchased a Toppy and upgraded the firmware. Very pleased so far, though the disc does click while recording.

Previously, I used the excellent Nebula USB DigiTV to record Freeview programmes in *.mgp files on my media server. I could them stream them without conversion around my apartment, using a cable/wireless network to Showcenters in different rooms. I could also stream my audio collection. I also have Sony freeview receivers in each room.

My wife could not program the Nebula epg, it only has one tuner and I do not like keeping the media server on permenantly. Hence the purchase of the Toppy.

The Toppy is in the lounge and connected to the media server in my study by USB through the wall.

Does anyone use a Showcenter to stream Toppy recordings?

I presume that I shall need to move the recordings from the Toppy hard disc to the media server and then convert them.

Could someone please tell me the best way to do this?

Pinnicle MediaManager supports MPEG1, MPEG2 (including VOB), MPEG4 AVI, XviD AVI (simple profile), DV AVI and WMV.

It is a pity that I can't stream directly from the Toppy hard disc.

Thanks
Philip
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
One solution is outlined in this thread from the Australian forums:

http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/frm/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1835

Essentially, it uses the NSLU2 (Slug) which can be updated with custom firmware and used to link the Toppy to a network. In this case the Slug also has storage space of its own, and runs apps that convert the Toppy's files into an appropriate format for OpenShowCenter, which will work with the Pinnacle box.

Nigel.