Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  New TAP suggestion: Power Down

Page 1 of 21
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
tichtich
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:44 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
I'd like to suggest a small TAP for safely and easily powering down (going to standby) regardless of whether the Toppy is currently recording.

At present we have a choice about how to make the Toppy power down at the end of the current recording:

1. Press the Standby (On/Off) button and leave the resulting dialogue on the screen. This has a couple of problems associated with it:
- The Toppy powers down as soon as recording finishes, without waiting for any TAPs to finish running. This means that TAPs like Automove (and probably mei2archive), which act on a rec file when the recording finishes, don't have a chance to run. It's also been suggested that this behaviour could cause a TAP to be aborted in the middle of a critical operation, with serious adverse consequences, though I'm not aware of this having happened to me.
- Some TAPs can cause the Toppy to crash if the Standby button is pressed during a recording. See this thread: http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5581

2. Select the Sleep option via the Option button. This is safe, but inconvenient. It requires several key strokes, and requires different action depending on whether the Toppy is recording or not. Sometimes I'm not aware whether the Toppy is recording, and I just want to push a single button which will safely power down regardless. I may not even have my TV switched on--or may be watching a DVD--in which case I don't see the dialogue to let me know that I've tried to power down while recording.

This isn't a very big deal but it is an annoyance, and if a TAP can easily overcome it, that would be an improvement. There seems to be no sign that Topfield are going to sort it out--it's not even on the bug list.

So, after that long preamble, here's my suggestion. Could we have a TAP that would intercept a press of the Standby button and check whether a recording is currently in progress? If no recording is in progress, it would power down immediately. If a recording is in progress, it would generate the button sequence needed to activate Sleep mode.

Is this possible?

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
jimbo
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 Sep 2005 Posts: 82 Location: North Yorkshire, Bilsdale Transmitter.
This would be very useful.
I think BDB might be the man to ask as he has hacked the firmware and can let TAPS know when the off button has been pressed.

simonc
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5640 Location: Cheltenham
I was thinking of doing a pseudo standby TAP myself. The shutdown dialog is a completely unnecessary complication IMO. I don't want an option to cancel recordings, if I did want to cancel them I'd do it properly using the stop button! So, what I'd hope to be able to do is turn off the display of both channels if a recording is in progress (hopefully this won't stop the recordings). Pressing standby again would reinstate whatever channels were previously displayed. When all recordings finish, if the Toppy is in still in pseudo standby mode, the TAP would do a real power down. The TAP could perhaps also incorporate PowerManager features.
rogdog
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Nov 2005 Posts: 569 Location: North Lincs, UK
Sounds like a great idea. I get really pi*Łed off with the current method for putting the box into standby

Question - If you incorporate power manager features could I put in a request for multple shutdown timers. I would like to automatically shutdown as follows

Mon-Fri @ 9am and midnight
Sat/Sun @ 1am

A shutdown warning timeout message with an option to delay the shutdown would also be a a nice bit of icing on the cake

Ooh, I do get excited when the possibility of a new TAP comes along

[edited]

Last edited by rogdog on Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

simonc
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll have a word with Rowan and see if he's up for incorporating the 2. I've got some improvements for PowerManager that get rid of the keypress thing it does to get to the sleep menu.
Nimbus
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Jan 2006 Posts: 581 Location: Leicestershire. 7 miles from the Waltham transmitter...
rogdog wrote:

Question - If you incorporate power manager features could I put in a request for multple shutdown timers. I would like to automatically shutdown as follows

Mon-Fri @ 9am and midnight
Sat/Sun @ 1am

A shutdown warning timeout message with an option to delay the shutdown would also be a a nice bit of icing on the cake

I like the sound of this. I use PowerManager as well and would find options for multiple shutdowns usefull.

Actually, I only recently watch PowerManager in action the other day when I upgraded to .25. From what I could see it actually invoked the sleep function for 10 mins. You can see it flash on the screen breifly. So may be the delay option could just bump the sleep timer for ten mins?
simonc
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
OK, here's a prototype of PowerDown if anyone want to try it. Use TV/Sat to go to standby. If a recording is in progress then the Toppy will enter a soft standby mode until TV/Sat is pressed again. Place it first in the load order with TAP Commander to prevent any other loaded TAPs getting keypresses when in soft standby mode.
metus
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
I encountered the power down while recording issue for the first time last night, leaving my Toppy on all night, and what luck, you guys have just solved it! Hopefully I'll be able to try this TAP tonight and let you know how I get on Very Happy
rogdog
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:33 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Nov 2005 Posts: 569 Location: North Lincs, UK
Hi simonc,

Will try your new Tap when I return from my hols in 2 weeks time.

cheers

ROWANMOOR
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 741 Location: Redhill, Surrey
I had thought of putting those features into PowerManager (having a definable key to start a powerdown, and having it turn striaght off if no recording is in progress).

Like all the things I have on the list, I have never got round to adding them to the code.

Does Simons TAP do what you all need, or should I try to find some time of an evening to dust off the code? (no promises - but I may manage to find some time if I try)

Toppy: TF5800pvrt Remote: Harmony 885
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -EpVr+CbCfCtDDsEgEmEvEzFpFsHsIMPePfPsScUUaUuUyVbVcVdWfZ
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; TAP Commander 1.34; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG Control B2.1; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.4; TF5000 Display v1.53; MyInfo B5.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 8/7/11
simonc
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote
My intention is to trap the power off key itself using a firmware hack. There's already a hack in there to put the Toppy into standby without needing to send keypresses to the UI.

If you want to merge the 2 TAPs Rowan, we could share code, however it does require linking with libutils and my firmware hack library.
ROWANMOOR
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 741 Location: Redhill, Surrey
Moy original thinking on it was before the PowerKey trapping hack have been done. It would make sense just to trap that. I will see if people feel your TAP does eveything they need.

One day I may put a scheduled power on into PowerManager. One day I may have time to read one of the 20 odd books I have waiting to be read too... Laughing

Toppy: TF5800pvrt Remote: Harmony 885
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -EpVr+CbCfCtDDsEgEmEvEzFpFsHsIMPePfPsScUUaUuUyVbVcVdWfZ
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; TAP Commander 1.34; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG Control B2.1; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.4; TF5000 Display v1.53; MyInfo B5.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 8/7/11
moley6knipe
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Aug 2005 Posts: 863 Location: Spalding, Lincs, UK
Rowan, noticed your sig says you use PM 1.2, however the one on this site's download list is 1.1. Do tell??

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Jan 2006 Posts: 581 Location: Leicestershire. 7 miles from the Waltham transmitter...
Rowan, Simonc,

If you could combine your expertise and include the multiple shutdown day/time option and the soft shutown into a single TAP, I for one would be very happy Smile

Just so I understand the PowerDown TAP. If it's recording does it switch off the display, then wait for whatever TAPs are running to finish before going to standby? If the screen does not blank or there's no message I'm concerned that wifey will keep pressing the standby button wondering why it's not switching off.

Thanks
simonc
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Being a prototype, it doesn't do anything to inform you what's going on. Pressing the button twice will go to soft standby and back to on again so no harm will be done. It should remember your original channel and PIP.

Some ideas for enhancements. No guarantees any of this will get implemented beyond the first 2.
  • Use the Power key instead of TV/Sat. This should also trap the power key on the box itself.
  • Some kind of intelligence so that the unit doesn't switch off when there's another recording due to start in 5 minutes.
  • Optional brief onscreen message saying that the unit will return to standby when recordings have finished.
  • Option to change to a predefined channel on shutdown. I'm thinking 300 or 303 specifically so that I'm not subjected to ear bleeding blasts dudes saying Yo! and Word! on the Hits/TMF after my wife has been watching telly!
  • Rules to describe when and on which channels timeshift is enabled. See previous item!
  • Rules to describe when and on which channels to return to standby after a period of inactivity. See the previous 2 items Rolling Eyes
  • Signal the scart WSS pin to pretend that the Toppy is switched off. Not sure if this is feasible. It's also not entirely desirable on my TV due to the volume difference between Toppy and analogue.

Any other suggestions?