Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Fan Installed in Toppy

Page 13 of 15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
alan_m
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3523
digital wrote:
I've installed a fan to get the temperature inside my Toppy down but there's a little too much noise from it. I've seen a lot of references to reducing the noise by reducing the voltage to the fan to either 7v or 5v by 'connecting the fan across 7v [5v]' but I can't see any detailed instructions on what exactly needs to be done to the cables or connectors to do this.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

TIA

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html

You can also get some series resistors to reduce the voltage.
http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/casefanaccessories/resistors
(probably cheaper from other sources - ebay etc.)

The resitors are only a few pence from places like Maplin if you want to install the resistors yourself in the existing cable. Go for 1Watt or 2Watt resistors as they will run warm.

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
MikeyP wrote:
12 - 5 = 7

connect one side of the fan to 12v and the other to 5V, the motor gets the (potential Smile ) difference of 7 volts.

So in english that means you connect:

The fan red wire to the toppy yellow wire (already like this I expect)
and
The fan black wire to the toppy red wire

clear as anything Shocked
digital
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Jun 2005 Posts: 360
MikeyP wrote:
clear as anything Shocked

Between your nice easy words and the pictures from alan_m it is now!

Thanks all.

Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/4/11
Andy K
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3520
you will of course need to disconnect the fan black wire to where it is presently connected,
to be able to connect it to the red wire.
Wallace
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Mar 2008 Posts: 911
Andy K wrote:
you will of course need to disconnect the fan black wire to where it is presently connected,
to be able to connect it to the red wire.

and the leg bone is connected to the ankle bone.....

?
db44
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
Trying to install Zalman fan THIS. Using Maplin adapter THIS and in-line resistor supplied with fan.

At what point should fan fire up? On Toppy power up, at certain temp, sometime else?

Tried it without in-line resistor also and still no activity from fan. Any thoughts anyone?

TX: Blackhill | Darvel
Remote: Harmony 525
Connectivity: Slingbox
MikeyP
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
you've either got a stalled fan or a connection missing

go over all the connections again double checking

that sort of fan/connection should fire up constantly (whilst on) pretty much as soon as you boot it

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
jumbo
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
db44 wrote:
At what point should fan fire up? On Toppy power up, at certain temp, sometime else?
Have you connected things up the right way round; Sometimes plastic bits shouldn't fit both ways but they do! Presumably you have inserted the Maplin part in between the Toppy PSU and the Hard Drive and that part is not faulty otherwise your hard drive wouldn't fire up. So next you want to check the little connector which comes off the Maplin part as well as the fan itself. You can try out the fan in a PC or (if there's a little adventurous kid in you) find some batteries and make your supply and connect it direct to see if turns! Your fan is like mine and these things are so simple and well made that it's unlikely to be the fan. If you suspect the connections just cut them off (both the fan and the supply end) and twist the (correct) bare wires together and insulate them well (not with sellotape) as the Toppy innard gets warm even with a fan!

Bythe way make sure you get your fan (when it starts to spin) to do what you want - blow or extract. Most people extract as blowing gets dust in there and is generally not as efficient in lowering internal ambient temperatures. Blowing can be more effective in cooling a (targeted) specific part.
MikeyP
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
I was thinking stalled fan if the fan has been squashed in transit perhaps pushing the fan blades down on the spindle - just check it spins freely manually to check

Parts or Repair service for your poorly toppy/PSU - 'talk to me' Smile my name's Mike though, not Terry Tibbs Very Happy
rayd
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Jun 2005 Posts: 377 Location: West London
db44 wrote:
Trying to install Zalman fan THIS. Using Maplin adapter THIS and in-line resistor supplied with fan.

Tried it without in-line resistor also and still no activity from fan. Any thoughts anyone?

Make sure you have the correct connections. This is a three wire fan with one of them (the white wire) a sensor wire.

The black (negative) should go to the black on the Toppy 4 pin connector. The red central wire (positive) should go to the yellow wire on the Toppy 4 pin connector. The third white wire isn't connected.

Make sure the Maplin connector is wired so that the middle connection of the small plug goes to the Toppy yellow and not the Toppy red. The black of the Maplin small plug should go to Toppy black.

There is sometimes confusion because the fan red is 12 V and the Toppy 4 pin red is 5 V. The 12 V Toppy connection is yellow.

Cheers,

Ray D

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 102 Location: Hampshire UK
I have recently fitted a Nexus 8cm Silent Internal Case Fan 17.6dB, this fan runs at 1500 rpm and is mounted on silicon supports piggy back with hard drive 12 volt supply very quiet I got it from Novatech. seems to do the job.
db44
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Finally got round to following up on this.

Maplins part was faulty, not sure if it came that way or I broke it in the tampering, but different part fitted and fan working now

Intend to monitor noise and temp over next few days.

Thanks to all who posted.

TX: Blackhill | Darvel
Remote: Harmony 525
Connectivity: Slingbox
Doct0r
Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Posts: 353 Location: Birmingham
Does anyone know the model number of the Zalman fan, the very thin one that's probably 80mm or less? I think someone had fitted one to a Toppy satellite box and it had Zalman printed in large letters on it. I need as thin a fan as possible to go over the left hand side (I estimate 8mm or less if someone has information of another that would work).

*edit*

Looked further on the Zalman site and I believe it may be the ZM-OP1. Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to meet my needs, it's 15mm, twice as high as I need it. Any suggestion on very thin fan would be gratefully received.

?
Doct0r
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Posts: 353 Location: Birmingham
Anybody know if there's a fan thinner than 10mm?

I'm thinking I'll have to fit an external fan to make sure there's enough clearance for the air flow.

?
andyfras
Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
CPC do some 6mm fans. Here's some examples:

http://cpc.farnell.com/sunon/gm0504pev2-8-gn/dc-axial-flow-fan-40x40x6/dp/MF67700?Ntt=mf67700

http://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/gm0504pev2-8-gn/40mm-micro-low-noise/dp/MF67628?Ntt=mf67628

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ