Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Mystuff & EPG's How to get them to work together

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Moko
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
The problem I & it seems loads of other people seem to be having is getting Mystuff to work with the various epg gatherers.

There does not seem to be a simple guide to getting everything together. The Mystuff manual does not have anything other than which ones work, and I can't find one for etmei ( I don't care really which epg I use as long as it works) but if someone could write a simple (non technical) guide they would make a lot of people happy.

I have looked at other replys to these type of questions, and the usual answer is to look at the relevant Taps forum, which is great if you can wade through 57 pages of techie's talking about minor bug issues but not if you have to do it for two different programs that neither side seems to want to work together.
bellandbottle
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 857 Location: Reading - Crystal Palace
I don't think you can expect the manual writers to be overly prescriptive of which TAP fits where, because peoples' tastes vary widely (eg) some folks prefer OTA EPG, but some others prefer the Radio Times.

I have found that eit2mei works very well with MyStuff, and the latest version Beta 7 is probably ahead of the game with regard to the upcoming firmware update.

Hope this helps Very Happy .

Others: HDDinfo V2.0, TAP Commander 1.0.1, UK Timers v1.2, Channel Organiser 2A.
chunkywizard
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Moko,

I don't put instructions on eit2mei setup in the MyStuff manual, as it's a totally seperate TAP. It is quite easy really. Download eit2mei and put the TAP in your Auto Start folder. There is a readme with it which explains what you need to do.

Basically as far as MyStuff is concerned you just need a wakeup timer to make sure the Toppy in on when the eit2mei morning scan happens. Instructions on setting this are in the manual. From an eit2mei perspective, the default settings are fine for most people, but it you press Menu then Recall you will see the eit2mei setup menu.

Hope That Helps,

CW

Moko
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I leave my toppy on virtually all the time, but the epg never seems to fill up.

Looking at the Menu, you get the various searches & options but I can't see any where to set up the time of the scan.

I know there are loads of tap options, but I think for a large number of users they don't care as long as it works ok. You don't get loads of Sky+ forums or people worrying about stuff...it just does the job.

It would certainly make the Toppy more popular if all of you guys just worked together a bit more to make it a more user friendly machine....rather than a techies toy.
Richard46
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
Moko wrote:

It would certainly make the Toppy more popular if all of you guys just worked together a bit more to make it a more user friendly machine....rather than a techies toy.

You seem to be under the impression that this forum is part of Topfields Technical Support department. The people who write taps and reply to posts here with advice are just users like yourself. They can work together or separately as they choose. They have not asked you for any money or anything else I think the tone of your demands is out of order.

Anyone just download eit2mei put it in your Auto Start folder dont touch the defaults. Go into the standard Toppy own menu timer section and set a non record timer for 3.30 for about 3 hours. NB before you set it as a no record timer name it EPG. Tomorrow you should have 7-8 days EPG on most channels.

TF5800 Silver;5.13.40 TF5800 Black; 5.12.88 TAPs: MYStuff /OneList v2; DeadBeefs TF5000 Display v1.42; Remote Extender 1.5; Description Extender 2.1; mcgCYRResume V1;MforR3NST; +on one Toppy DumbWidescreenTV2.31EPG info: eit2mei b7.7 beta Taps not auto:TAPCommander; RadioDelete Remotes: Harmony 655 & 885 TX: Crystal Palace
Moko
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Sorry but it gets a bit frustarting trying to get this stuff to work, especially when you try to look through 50 pages for the answers.

What I am trying to point out is for most people who just want to record some TV shows as easilly as possible some of this stuff is too deep. If the site had an area which has basic setup guides so the most commonly used TAps could be shown how to work together it would make life easier. It fdoes not matter if it is free if it does not work.

What is a non record timer, surely if I set the toppy to record at 3.00am it will just record some show not get the epg?
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
When I have time, a new user's area is something that's planned - but we wanted to get things like the new manual available, and the new firmware, so that it has the most common information.

And generally, I'm of the opinion that, good though MyStuff may be, for a brand new user, it's probably a bit over-complicated, especially with the need to sort out an EPG source, though of course others don't hold that view.

The Toppy will work and do most of what everyone needs out of the box, and it really is worth taking time to get to grips with it in that state, instead of thinking "I've bought something, I must install X, Y and Z on it before I can use it."

Nigel.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Moko,

there is a users manual for MyStuff here: http://chunkywizard.sitesled.com/Toppy/MyStuff415Manual.pdf

and the readme for eit2mei is included within the ZIP file.

That is all you should need. If you are having difficulties let us know why so we can improve the documentation.

Hope That Helps

Chunkywizard

bellandbottle
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 857 Location: Reading - Crystal Palace
@Moko, you clearly think there is need for some kind of guide to help new users get to grips with one or two things. Others have felt that way before about different subjects, and grasped the opportunity to add some value to the forum.

That kind of guide is best written by someone who is not entirely au fait with the box and the added software, because it is so easy to make assumptions.

Do you feel an opportunity coming on Wink ?

Others: HDDinfo V2.0, TAP Commander 1.0.1, UK Timers v1.2, Channel Organiser 2A.
Richard46
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
Moko wrote:
It fdoes not matter if it is free if it does not work.

What is a non record timer, surely if I set the toppy to record at 3.00am it will just record some show not get the epg?

MyStuff with eit2mei works very well indeed.

Make sure you have eit2mei tap in your Auto Start folder. When you turn on again you will get the eit2mei display - just accept the defaults by pressing OK.

eit2mei will then load data overnight at 3.30 so long as the Toppy is on. If you dont want to leave it on overnight set a non recording timer to wake up the Toppy.
I hope this is simple enough

Press menu
scroll down to Recording press OK
scroll down to timer setting (bottom of page) press OK
press red to insert new entry
Go to file name near bottom of entry information box - OK - use on screen keyboard to call the timer EPG. save the name - this will take you back to entry information box
Go to record at top and switch to OFF with right button
Go to Wakeup Service (which will now have appeared 3 down)
press OK and select BBC1
Change mode to everyday
Make wake up day the next day (or today if you do this between midnight and 3.30!)
Make wake up time 3.30 (you can scroll or punch the munbers in)
Make duration - well I have 3hours 30 mins I think
Go to OK at bottom and select
Press ESC to go back to TV
leave Toppy in standby
I get about 7 days EPG in MyStuff on most of the main channels using this non record timer.
I hope this works for you too

eit2mei also collects info in background while you are watching; this feature should become much more effective when new firmware comes out this month. (I wont go into why)

PS In the MyStuff menu (Press menu when in MYStuff EPG) I would suggest the following

H1 is never
H2 is never
H3 is Freeview.mei
H4 is 5m
H5 is no

TF5800 Silver;5.13.40 TF5800 Black; 5.12.88 TAPs: MYStuff /OneList v2; DeadBeefs TF5000 Display v1.42; Remote Extender 1.5; Description Extender 2.1; mcgCYRResume V1;MforR3NST; +on one Toppy DumbWidescreenTV2.31EPG info: eit2mei b7.7 beta Taps not auto:TAPCommander; RadioDelete Remotes: Harmony 655 & 885 TX: Crystal Palace
misterp
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2006 Posts: 402 Location: Hull
Richard46 wrote:
Moko wrote:

Anyone just download eit2mei put it in your Auto Start folder dont touch the defaults. Go into the standard Toppy own menu timer section and set a non record timer for 3.30 for about 3 hours. NB before you set it as a no record timer name it EPG. Tomorrow you should have 7-8 days EPG on most channels.

Does it really need three hours? Mine starts at 3:13 am and stops at 4:00am and has a pretty decent EPG apart from the usual suspects (Five etc) I cant believe "The Hits" has a 7 day EPG and Five only gets 2 days 7 hours.

Richard46
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
misterp wrote:
[Does it really need three hours?

Very Happy Very likely not; I was just playing on the safe side. R

Moko
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the instructions, very clear & easy to follow.

Tried it last night and the Mystuff EPG did not fill up though, will try again tonight just in case I messed it up before somewhere.

One thing I did notice when I look at the recordings set which I had named EPG, it does not say it in the list it just says BBC1 and someother stuff, is this correct or is there someway to set it so the file name is EPG?

Do you have the full set of the settings for MeiSeach just in case I have changed one the settings incorrectly?

Thanks again for the help so far.
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
then you have not sucessfully named your timer using the Toppy Menu > Recording > Timer Setting and the Red key.

You must name the timer at the File Name prompt before switching the timer from On to Off and after you've adjusted all the other timer settings.

So whatever TAP you are using to gather the epg data will have failed because no valid watch timer was set.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
Moko
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Went back & set the file name before turning the record button to Off and rechecked all the other settings

But still the file is not named when you go to save the recording, in fact can't get that option to highlight if you try to enter anything.

Any ideas how to get round this?