Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Upgrade using USB 1 failed

Page 1 of 1
woodp
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 May 2005 Posts: 71
I am a Mac user, but I do have an old IBM Thinkpad PC with a USB 1 port. I tried to upgrade but the download does not start. It just continues to display "Wait Download". This has not caused any errors on the Toppy.

Has anyone managed to successfully upgrade with a USB 1 port?

Additional comment - I never touch the Thinkpad normally, and I have never used the USB port before, so the first time I tried to do the upgrade Windows installed its USB drivers.

One of the documents I have states "If you should encounter conflicts with your operating system and the USB port, we strongly recommend to download the Windows USB patch, which can be downloaded on Microsoft?s website (http://www.microsoft.com)".

There are hundreds of USB patches, which one does the document mean? Any help gratefully accepted.

[Chesterfield relay of Emily Moor; TF5800PVR; Firmware 5.12.25; Archive 0.07a; DescriptionExtender 1.3; EPGnavigator 2.0a; EPG Uploader 3.5; QuickJump 1.42; RemoteExtenderMHEG 1.0; TAPCommander 1.0 beta 5; UkOzSurfer 0.11d; ToppyEPG 2.0 Beta 5]
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
What version of Windows are you running on the Thinkpad?

Did you manage to establish a connection using Altair beforehand? Unless you can even do that, you're not likely to get far with the firmware upgrade.

Nigel.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
Thanks for your rapid response.

I am running Windows 98 - as I say, its an old machine, perhaps 7 years old - I don't think USB 2 was invented then.

I have just tried Altair - I get nothing in the left hand side of the window, so it looks like it is my USB interface.

Do you know if it is the fact that it is USB 1, or is it something else?

BTW: Today is the first time I have tried the USB interface. I havn't even tried to connect my Mac to the toppy yet

[Chesterfield relay of Emily Moor; TF5800PVR; Firmware 5.12.25; Archive 0.07a; DescriptionExtender 1.3; EPGnavigator 2.0a; EPG Uploader 3.5; QuickJump 1.42; RemoteExtenderMHEG 1.0; TAPCommander 1.0 beta 5; UkOzSurfer 0.11d; ToppyEPG 2.0 Beta 5]
tim
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 34
The update will work through USB 1 (it did it for the 11th may update).

Do you have any other USB devices? Perhaps you could try plugging a mouse/scanner/memory key in to see if they work. Alternatively if you use device manager (start --> control panel --> system) can you see any hardware devices with a yellow exclamation mark (or red cross) next to them?
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
It should work fine with USB1. The most likely culprit is the USB support in such an early version of Windows; do you know which version of Windows 98 it is?

Connecting to the Mac is very easy - use MPEG Streamclip, But of course that doesn't solve your immediate problem of doing the firmware update.

This MS link for USB in Windows 98 may be a good place to start:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263218

It's certainly a good way to remind yourself why you use a Mac now.

Nigel

Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 May 2005 Posts: 69 Location: Horton Heath
tim wrote:
Alternatively if you use device manager (start --> control panel --> system) can you see any hardware devices with a yellow exclamation mark (or red cross) next to them?

I had to use this option as I could not get Altair to work at first using my USB 1 connection.

Im using XP and you get a yellow question mark indicating an unknown usb. You have to right click and select option 'update driver'.

Hope that helps.
malc
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1380
I too can't get my win98se laptop to work with Topfield's driver. The laptop could be USB 1. The manual just says USB so I guess that probably means USB 1. Details of my problem I posted here.

That thread also has a link to the MS USB patch, not that it made any difference to my laptop. And BTW the USB ports on it worked ok with a flash disk.
woodp
Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all your responses.

It seems that the combination of my hardware [an IBM Thinkpad], operating system [Windows 98 v 2] and the Topfield USB driver software could not be made to work. I don't know why.

A good friend of mine was able to download the upgrade using a different Thinkpad model running Windows 2000. Even so, installing the device drivers was more good luck than anything else. Nigel's comment "It's certainly a good way to remind yourself why you use a Mac now" strikes a resonant chord.

Then I upgraded my Thinkpad to Windows ME, and again was able to download the software. Now, when the next upgrade arrives, I should be OK using the Thinkpad. For all other, communications with my Toppy, I will be using my Mac -Smile.

Thanks again, Paul

matt
Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
I upgraded using my old Sony Vaio laptop, running Windows 2000 and USB 1.0

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D