Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  HDTV

Page 1 of 1
chunkywizard
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Folks,

excuse my ignorance, but is the Toppy HDTV compatible? Ie when HDTV broadcasts become the norm will you be able to record these with a Toppy? If not, what would it take to upgrade - is the a new Toppy or a software upgrade? I think it may be to do with connectors (ie hardware) but it would be good if someone could clarify this for me,

Thanks in advance,

Chunkywizard
Darkmatter
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Unfortunately the Toppy does not support HDTV. Topfield do have a model under development ? it?s the much-fabled TF7000, but don?t hold your breath waiting for a HDTV compatible PVR in the UK, they are all some way off.
chunkywizard
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Thanks for the quick reply. It wasn't what I wanted to hear, but at least I go into this with my eyes wide open. One more question if I may, this TF9000, it wouldn't have a built in DVD burner would it? Now this would be my ideal PVR. Not sure I can wait though, so it may be a case of buy now and upgrade in a couple of years. By the way, I know I can archive to the DVD burner on my PC but the main reason for an integrated DVD would be for playback so I can get rid of a box under my TV (burning would be a plus)

Cheers

CW.
s7uar7
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 196 Location: Chalfont St Giles
Is HDTV Freeview on the cards then?
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
HDTV on Freeview - if it happens - is going to be a long way off, most likely not until switch off. And I'd be quite surprised if I was still using my Toppy then; most probably it'll have been replaced by a newer model.

In Australia, where they do broadcast HDTV via digital terrestrial, the TF5000PVRt is capable of tuning into broadcasts, and saving them on the hard drive, though it can't decode them, so you have to transfer them to something else to play back.

That may be the case with ours, but since we don't know if we'll ever get HD on DTT, or how it will be broadcast, speculation won't get us very far.

Nigel.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:26 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
AFAIK the TF7000 does not have a DVD drive ? it?s one of these vapour products, it?s permanently ?available real soon now?. In that regards the HDTV products are no different to the computer market, sure you?ll get a better product if you wait until next year, by which time, there will be an even better product just around the corner.
IanP
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
The BBC are moving towards HD only production (by 2008 to 2010). Both they and the DTG demonstrated HD via DTT at Mediacast earlier this week (using MPEG2 and MPEG4 respectively). The BBC system trickle feeds shows to a PVR during off peak (close down) hours. The BBC know that having championed Freeview as a replacement for analogue, it would be unacceptable to only have an HD service on satellite and cable (they may use this as an arguement to get more bandwidth at switch off). They can't justify making all their programs in HD if the only licence fee payers with access to HD are "Sky" users and cable subscribers.
nudel
Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 38 Location: London, England
I've always assumed that Freeview would get the bandwidth that's currently wasted Smile on analogue TV when they finally switch off analogue. But I never really thought about it and that the government might have other plans for the bandwidth.

I hope Freeview does get given the bandwidth. Right now there isn't really enough even for standard definition TV (the MPEG artifacts are diabolical on many channels when there's a lot of movement) so HDTV couldn't possibly work without either a much better codec or the death of several channels. Sad

Not that I'd miss many of the channels... Do we really need three (any!) shopping channels and three news channels and two identical music channels? Smile
IanP
Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
It is quite likely that some or most of the bandwidth freed by analogue switchoff will be sold off for DVB-H (subscription TV for mobile phones).