Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Automatic renaming in Archive, but not in subfolders

Page 1 of 1
radarman
Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 May 2005 Posts: 69 Location: Horton Heath
I have created several folders in my archive in order to find programs easily eg Sport, Documentary, Soaps etc.

If the Toppy records more than one program with the same title then it renames it with a number suffix so you get for example Eastenders, Eastenders1, Eastenders2 etc, if these are left in the archive and not moved into subfolders.

If, however, I record a program and then move that to my designated folder it will not automatically rename it if the same program name already exists in that folder. In this instance you get an error message and have to rename manually to be able to move it into a folder.

Is there a way to enable automatic renaming of programs when moving them into a folder where the same program name already exists as is the case with programs stored in the archive ?
nwhitfield
Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Unfortuantely not. But it's worth looking at the DirLister TAP, which will do some renaming for you.

If you create a folder called,for example "Dr Who" and have a load of files in it, then run DirLister, it will rename them, in chronological order, Dr Who-1, Dr Who-2 and so on - taking the name as the name of the folder. You can have the date of the recording appended instead.

You can then just stick any letterd on the start or end of a programme name before moving it into the folder, and then running DirLister to tidy everything up.

One quick word of caution - I've not run DirLister since upgrading (in fact, I don't have the newest firmware on my machine yet). It should behave ok, but I've not had a chance to verify it yet.

You'll find it in the TAPs section of the site, under File Management. Don't download the versqion there (which is for the old firmware), but click the Homepage link in the info box, and get the standard version from there.

I'll add the new version to the library (or pester someone else to do it) when I have time.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 May 2005 Posts: 69 Location: Horton Heath
Thanks for the advice.

I've just installed my first TAP (Jag's EPG for T5800) and this has given me the option to work around the problem.

One option on Jag's EPG adds the date to the name of every program that you record, therefore virtually eliminating the problem of duplicate program names.

Very Happy