Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff 4 (.03) and very slow response to 'Archive' button .

Page 1 of 1
ramagel
Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Feb 2006 Posts: 92
Could this be due to a large number (about a hundred) of files in (sub)folders? They are all radio shows that I haven't yet managed to transfer to PC and convert to .mp3 (or whatever).

The delay is many seconds and getting longer and longer - so much so that using the MyStuff archive is almost impossible ? one doesn?t know whether the received has ?got? the button press or not, and so after pressing it again (and again .....) the MySfuff archive loads, flicks to the Toppy archive and exits ......!

I think MyStuff is a fabulous TAP ? the best EPG/Archive combination I?ve yet found, so I'm not slagging it off in any way .... I just:

a) wonder if this IS the problem (I'm slowly copying all files off the Toppy onto PC in preparation for a risky deletion of them all to test this hypothesis*)

and

b) wonder if a future version could be changed so it does NOT scan (sub)folders until they are accessed?

*I?d have loved to have moved the files out of the DataFiles folder to somewhere else, but I couldn?t find out how to do that ... it doesn?t seem possible.

?
chunkywizard
Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi there,

we have seen this before. I found that large number of folders caused this (I have 25+). The reason for it is MyStuff has a lot of scanning to do due to not knowing if other TAPs have moved files etc. In the next release we have a way around this, its called exclusive mode. If you do not use other TAPs which change the programmes (eg Automove) you can run in this mode and it speeds up things...alot...

For me it makes the world of difference. Hopefully it will solve your problem as well.

BTW, in the future, can you post to the MyStuff thread with MyStuff queries? Its a housekeeping type thing,

Cheers

CW

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
ramagel wrote:
Could this be due to a large number (about a hundred) of files in (sub)folders? They are all radio shows that I haven't yet managed to transfer to PC and convert to .mp3 (or whatever).
Yes.

ramagel wrote:
...a) wonder if this IS the problem (I'm slowly copying all files off the Toppy onto PC in preparation for a risky deletion of them all to test this hypothesis*)
See above answer.

ramagel wrote:
...b) wonder if a future version could be changed so it does NOT scan (sub)folders until they are accessed?
Don't know, need Bob to answer that one. It would have been better IMHO for Topfield to have given radio recordings a different file extension, and associated Archive view.

ramagel wrote:
*I?d have loved to have moved the files out of the DataFiles folder to somewhere else, but I couldn?t find out how to do that ... it doesn?t seem possible.
Easy using Altair. Not possible to move them above the ProgramFiles folder using the Toppy UI, so they'd still be listed, even if you did move them to another folder. I guess you could have just removed the file extensions using Altair, and left them in the same folder. You wouldn't then be able to "see" them with either MyStuff or the Toppy UI, but they'd still be there ready to copy off to a PC.

I'm going to lock this thread and request that any future MyStuff related postings are made in the MyStuff thread please.

Reasons given here:-

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4287

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13