Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Basic Questions from a UK Newbie!

Page 1 of 1
ali_178
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I am very pleased with my new UK Toppy 5800, however I have some basic questions which I've tried to answer by searching through these Forums, but so far unsuccessfully!

Please could someone answer these questions:

1) I have my satellite connected to the toppy via a scart cable. I would like to record certain Sky programmes to the pvr rather than video or dvd as it's more convenient. I was expecting there to be an AV1 channel button which would take the recordable input from the scart lead (either Sky, video, or DVD), but I can't appear to do this. It would be great to transfer some videos to the PVR so I can get rid of a lot of VHS cassettes. Is it possible to record an external source? If so, please advise how.

2) I have created a folder for all my young son's programmes, and then I have set the Toppy to tape Noddy every day. I would then like to transfer all these programmes to my son's folder, but if there is already a programme called Noddy in the folder, it won't save it there without asking you to amend the programme name. Fair enough if you could simply append the name to be Noddy2, Noddy3 etc, but the right cursor key won't take you to the end of the name, so you have to key in N-O-D-D-Y-2 again. I'm sure there must be a quicker way to do these name changes. (Why doesn't it know that the dates of each Noddy programme are different, as are the EPG descriptions of the episodes)? Any tips to do this better?

3) Another one for my son! Once I have saved all the Noddy programmes in his folder, I would like to play all the programmes in the whole folder continously. The programmes are only 5 minutes long, and it irritates him when one programme stops, and you have to select the next episode manually. Is it possible to play multiple programmes continuously?

Thank you for any advice.

Regards
ali_178
matt
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
1) the Toppy cannot record from an external source.
2) There is a TAP called DirLister that will rename files for you.
3) From page 51 on the latest manual (issued today) you press red to number items in your file list and press OK to play them back sequentially. Cool

matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
DirLister is great; I've not tested it yet with the latest firmware, but essentially, it will rename all the files in a folder, appending either the date of the recording, or just a sequential number.

The base of the name is the name of the folder, so if you create a folder called Noddy, and put a load of files in there, with any names you like (Noddy, Noddy1, ABC, blah blah), then run DirLister, it will rename them all to Noddy-1, Noddy-2, Noddy-3 and so on.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Apr 2005 Posts: 721 Location: Ipswich, UK
ali_178 wrote:

2) I have created a folder for all my young son's programmes, and then I have set the Toppy to tape Noddy every day. I would then like to transfer all these programmes to my son's folder, but if there is already a programme called Noddy in the folder, it won't save it there without asking you to amend the programme name. Fair enough if you could simply append the name to be Noddy2, Noddy3 etc, but the right cursor key won't take you to the end of the name, so you have to key in N-O-D-D-Y-2 again. I'm sure there must be a quicker way to do these name changes. (Why doesn't it know that the dates of each Noddy programme are different, as are the EPG descriptions of the episodes)? Any tips to do this better?
ali_178

This one caught me out as well and I very nearly posted asking the same question - although it wasn't for Noddy Smile, but "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" which is a damn sight longer!

The cusor blinks at the start of the program name but you can't seem to move along to the end as the arrow keys on the remote move you arround the box with all the characters in to select from - but if you press the down arrow key again when on the bottom line line (Other/Space/Save) the line with the program name become active and the left/right arrow keys now move the cursor within the name so that you can get to the end and the go back the the seletion box to add a suffix

Although haven't tried the dirlist TAP yet so this may be a better way - another action to add to my Toppy task list!

Martyn