Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  SMSTimer v1.0

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
dsw
Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Oct 2005 Posts: 164 Location: Glasgow, UK
niemi23 wrote:
Has anyone tried the SMSTimer TAP with a TF5800? Did the TAP at least start properly, i.e. did it print either "Device disconnected" or "Device xxx connected" on the TV screen upon start-up?

At least on one TF5800 the TAP won't even start for some reason, but it has been proven to work on TF5000 and TF5100, so I'd like to know if this is a device/firmware-specific problem or something else...

It was on a TF5800 that I tried it, as described earlier in this thread. It did appear to start OK, but came back with the "echo off failed" and "device disconnected" error messages. This was with a Sony Ericsson T68i and a T610.

I haven't tried it with the newest firmware, but I don't expect that to make any difference.

Did you manage to try it with a Sony Ericsson phone?
niemi23
Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
dsw wrote:

It was on a TF5800 that I tried it, as described earlier in this thread. It did appear to start OK, but came back with the "echo off failed" and "device disconnected" error messages. This was with a Sony Ericsson T68i and a T610.

I haven't tried it with the newest firmware, but I don't expect that to make any difference.

Did you manage to try it with a Sony Ericsson phone?

Ok, thanks for this information!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get my hands on a T68i or a T610, but I am still trying to find one. Here in Finland everyone seems to have an old Nokia phone, but there are not too many SonyEricssons out there...
tommywidenflycht
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I could lend you a T630 to debug this problem if you like.

However I have done extensive work with mobile phones Wink

The older Nokias does indeed work fine using raw AT commands if you have the correct cable.

On some phones the AT command parser doesn't start up immidiately after the port is opened, so the following algorithm is highly recommended:

Open port

loop:
Send "AT"
Wait 100 ms
if ( there is "OK" in the inbuffer ) {
done!
} else {
wait 250ms
goto loop
}

repeat this for a maximum of 10 seconds.

niemi23 wrote:

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get my hands on a T68i or a T610, but I am still trying to find one. Here in Finland everyone seems to have an old Nokia phone, but there are not too many SonyEricssons out there...

Last edited by tommywidenflycht on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
niemi23
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Cheers, Tommy(?) for the info! I'll have to give that a go this week. So far I haven't been successful in connecting to the Nokia phones, no matter what I've tried... Sad

Do you happen to have any information on which of the serial port lines (or pins or whatever they are) should be up and which down? RTS, CTS etc? Or should the default setup in the Toppy work just fine? It seems it is not possible to control these lines in the Toppy without some serious firmware hacking and I wouldn't want to go there.

And finally, thanks for offering your T630 for debugging. I'll figure this Nokia business out first, I'll let you know later if I'll still need the Ericsson.

Cheers,

- Petri

tommywidenflycht wrote:
I could borrow you a T630 to debug this problem if you like.

However I have done extensive work with mobile phones Wink

The older Nokias does indeed work fine using raw AT commands if you have the correct cable.

On some phones the AT command parser doesn't start up immidiately ofter the port is opened, so the following algorithm is highly recommended:

Open port

loop:
Send "AT"
Wait 100 ms
if ( there is "OK" in the inbuffer ) {
done!
} else {
wait 250ms
goto loop
}

repeat this for a maximum of 10 seconds.
tommywidenflycht
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Have you tried connecting a Nokia to a PC and just using HyperTerminal? As far as I remember the older Nokias are using a fixed baud rate, try connecting to it using 19200, 57600 or 115200. All SE phones are baud rate autosensing so 115200 is the best choice.

Use hardware handshaking if available on the Toppy.

Modified algorithm:

Open port in 115200
Run first algorithm
If no OK received open port in 57600
Run first algorithm
If no OK received open port in 19200
Run first algorithm

If you have anything you would like me to beta-test just PM me.

/Tommy

niemi23 wrote:
Cheers, Tommy(?) for the info! I'll have to give that a go this week. So far I haven't been successful in connecting to the Nokia phones, no matter what I've tried... Sad

Do you happen to have any information on which of the serial port lines (or pins or whatever they are) should be up and which down? RTS, CTS etc? Or should the default setup in the Toppy work just fine? It seems it is not possible to control these lines in the Toppy without some serious firmware hacking and I wouldn't want to go there.

And finally, thanks for offering your T630 for debugging. I'll figure this Nokia business out first, I'll let you know later if I'll still need the Ericsson.

Cheers,

- Petri

tommywidenflycht
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
And while I am at it, read/send SMS AT commands is a black art... Nokia especially doesn't follow the ETSI standard 100% (it even differs between models) so on several previous projects I had to build up a database of handsets and in what way they differed from the standard.
niemi23
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Nokia strikes again Smile

I'll try these things you suggested and let you know how it goes. I've actually tried Hyperterminal, and managed to get some sort of reply from the phone. But transferring all this to the Toppy is not trivial, since the Toppy serial port API is not very flexible - just read/write functions and that's it.

I've also managed to talk to my 6310 from the Toppy using the Nokia fbus protocol, but this protocol seems also to be a bit of a mystery to everyone. Even the gnokii project isn't very exact and so far I haven't found out a way to check the unread messages from the phone using fbus (I'd need to know the exact indeces of the message slots in question, but there is no way of getting this information unless the TAP is constantly listening to the serial port and trying keep in sync with the phone -> might jam the Toppy in the long run.)

- Petri

tommywidenflycht wrote:
And while I am at it, read/send SMS AT commands is a black art... Nokia especially doesn't follow the ETSI standard 100% (it even differs between models) so on several previous projects I had to build up a database of handsets and in what way they differed from the standard.
tommywidenflycht
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Have you had some time to look at this? I don't want to buy a Siemens phone + cable when I have a perfectly fine SE T630 in my drawer Wink
niemi23
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote
tommywidenflycht wrote:
Have you had some time to look at this? I don't want to buy a Siemens phone + cable when I have a perfectly fine SE T630 in my drawer Wink

I'm sorry, Tommy, haven't had time yet. I'm just finalising my MSc thesis and I need to hand it in this week, so I've been fairly busy lately.

I have asked around for an Ericsson phone I could test this with, but so far no luck there. None of the people I know seem to have one to spare. Would your phone still be available for a test device to me? Please send me an email to the smstimer (at) hotmail dot com address, if you think this is possible, and we could perhaps work something out.
niemi23
Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,

The old SMSTimer web site expired lately since I finally managed to graduate, and thus the Uni server I previously used is no longer available.

So here's an update:

http://www.smstimer.tk

(or directly without ads:
http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/niemi23/smstimer/smstimer.html)

With all the Uni work now out of the way I hopefully will have more time in the future for SMSTimer updates...

Cheers,

- Petri
bootsbradford
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Nov 2005 Posts: 100
Does anyone have a copy of this TAP? The website seems to be down at the moment and I've tried to email the author but without reply...

nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
No, but you know you can set timers via this web site, if you like? We have an SMS option, though it's not free. http://www.toppy.org.uk/timers/

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Dec 2005 Posts: 726 Location: London
nwhitfield wrote:
No, but you know you can set timers via this web site, if you like? We have an SMS option, though it's not free. http://www.toppy.org.uk/timers/

Am I right in thinking that this relies on having the Toppy permanently connected to a switched-on PC/Mac?

Cheers

Nic

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Nov 2005 Posts: 100
shinyford wrote:
Am I right in thinking that this relies on having the Toppy permanently connected to a switched-on PC/Mac?

Cheers

Nic

That was certainly my understanding. I have no way of connecting a PC permanently to my toppy. I don't really want to go down the ASUS/Slug route either. So this would be the best option for me. The 2 options I am aware of are:
    - iGuide
    - SMSTimer
The advantage of SMSTimer would be the chance to trial it with all the other taps I am currently using, though not sure how to get hold of it at the moment...

nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Well, the service on here requires that the Toppy is connected to something that can access the web. That could be a PC, Mac or Linux system.

If you could schedule that to wake up from time to time to check for messages, then it doesn't have to be running around the clock. But essentially, if you want to be able to text at any time, then yes, you need the scripts to be checking regularly.

Nigel.