Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  SMSTimer v1.0

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
niemi23
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
dsw wrote:
I deleted it then re-installed it. The number that you quote is there when first started, however if I delete that number and enter a new number the new one only allows for 9 or 10 digits. Most strange!

The application is in phone memory.

This is very strange indeed. I've got to admit that I have absolutely no idea how to properly fix this problem, since I haven't run into this kind of behaviour with any other phone model. I assume that the phone won't even allow replacing the digits of the initial field value one by one? I mean, delete one, enter one, delete another, enter another, and so on starting from the last digit?

There is a bubble gum fix we can try, and that is making a special "UK version" of the Java application where the country code 44 is automatically set by the application. Then you would only need to enter the remaining 10 digits manually. Could you send me an e-mail to the address provided on the SMSTimer Web site, and I will send a hacked version of the application for you to try out.

- Petri
janilxx
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Aug 2005 Posts: 724
niemi23 wrote:

There is a bubble gum fix we can try, and that is making a special "UK version" of the Java application where the country code 44 is automatically set by the application. Then you would only need to enter the remaining 10 digits manually. Could you send me an e-mail to the address provided on the SMSTimer Web site, and I will send a hacked version of the application for you to try out.

Maybe you could make it more generic so that there would be 2 textfields. One for country code and one for rest of the numbers. This works if 9 or 10 characters is enough for rest of the numbers.
niemi23
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
janilxx wrote:
niemi23 wrote:

Maybe you could make it more generic so that there would be 2 textfields. One for country code and one for rest of the numbers. This works if 9 or 10 characters is enough for rest of the numbers.

Yup, that's the general idea. At first I'd just like to know whether the 10 digits actually fit in and if they do, I'll make more changes to the application. But if still only 9 digits fit in, even that solution won't fix the problem...

[Don't you just hate it when you have to bend over backwards to fix these things, when it's clearly a matter of one single (or a few at most) phone model not working like it should? "Use Java, it'll work the same way on each platform" they told me...yeah, right! Wink Just kidding, I'm actually happily surprised that more problems of this sort haven't come up yet!]

- Petri
dsw
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Oct 2005 Posts: 164 Location: Glasgow, UK
niemi23 wrote:
This is very strange indeed. I've got to admit that I have absolutely no idea how to properly fix this problem, since I haven't run into this kind of behaviour with any other phone model. I assume that the phone won't even allow replacing the digits of the initial field value one by one? I mean, delete one, enter one, delete another, enter another, and so on starting from the last digit?

Just tried the replacing the digits one-by-one from last to first and it lets me keep all 12 digits. A bit of a pain, but it looks like this is a workaround for the time being.

I just need to try the TAP out... but there's one thing stopping me... the WORLD CUP!!!
dsw
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
OK - just tried the TAP out, but I'm getting the "Device disconnected" message followed by the "Reconnect failed - shutting down..." message, suggesting that the serial connection isn't working.

I also got the "Echo off failed" message at one point.

I tried rebooting but still the same "Device disconnected" message.

Anything else I need to do to get the serial connection working?

(I've got a Sony Ericsson T610 connected via a DRS-11 cable into the RS232 port of the Toppy)
niemi23
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
dsw wrote:
OK - just tried the TAP out, but I'm getting the "Device disconnected" message followed by the "Reconnect failed - shutting down..." message, suggesting that the serial connection isn't working.

I also got the "Echo off failed" message at one point.

I tried rebooting but still the same "Device disconnected" message.

Anything else I need to do to get the serial connection working?

(I've got a Sony Ericsson T610 connected via a DRS-11 cable into the RS232 port of the Toppy)

First of all, sorry for the delayed reply. My new motorbike has kept me away from the computer for a few days Laughing

It really seems like the TAP is unable to connect to the device, i.e. it does not get any answer to the first message it sends to the phone via the serial cable. However, the "echo off failed" message would indicate that the TAP did actually get some sort of a response but it wasn't what it was expecting.

I'll have to look into this problem and the T610 specifications a bit more closely and perhaps I'll find out why this happens. Can't make any promises, though... Confused
dsw
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
niemi23 wrote:
First of all, sorry for the delayed reply. My new motorbike has kept me away from the computer for a few days Laughing

It really seems like the TAP is unable to connect to the device, i.e. it does not get any answer to the first message it sends to the phone via the serial cable. However, the "echo off failed" message would indicate that the TAP did actually get some sort of a response but it wasn't what it was expecting.

I'll have to look into this problem and the T610 specifications a bit more closely and perhaps I'll find out why this happens. Can't make any promises, though... Confused

Thanks for your reply. Note that I have exactly the same problem with a Sony Ericsson T68i.

I think the "echo off" message is what I get the first time the tap is run with the phone connected. The other error messages come afterwards.
niemi23
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
dsw wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Note that I have exactly the same problem with a Sony Ericsson T68i.

I think the "echo off" message is what I get the first time the tap is run with the phone connected. The other error messages come afterwards.

Ok, good to know. I'll starting hunting for a T610 or a T68i so that I can test this myself. This seems to be a problem I cannot solve otherwise, since I didn't find anything suspicious in any of the T610 specs/manuals I was able to dig up. The phone itself should have all the features the TAP needs in order to function properly.

I'll let you know as soon as I find a suitable phone, but it might take some time Confused
shinyford
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Dec 2005 Posts: 726 Location: London
Hi - this looks fantastic. Just three questions:

1) Any progress with getting it to work with a Nokia 6310i?

And my other two questions are related to the fact that I'd really like to integrate this with my own TAP, iGuide; however, I'd find that easier if it didn't directly create timers, so:

2) is there any chance of a version which doesn't create timers or show onscreen information, but rather just wrote the data it receives out to a text file?

or

3) any chance of releasing the source code? (I know, I know, that's an outrageous request. But I felt I had to ask.)

Seriously, this looks brilliant, and I can't wait to get it working. Thanks!

Cheers

Nic
niemi23
Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Hi Nic,

shinyford wrote:
Hi - this looks fantastic. Just three questions:

1) Any progress with getting it to work with a Nokia 6310i?

Unfortunately I haven't had time to continue with this for some days now. Finishing my Master's Thesis is more important at the moment (though not as interesting, I can tell ya!). Hopefully I can get back to work with this next week.

shinyford wrote:

2) is there any chance of a version which doesn't create timers or show onscreen information, but rather just wrote the data it receives out to a text file?

That should be fairly easy to do and is actually quite a nice idea. First I'll just need to dig up some example code to see how to write text files. I know it's easy, just haven't tried it yet Very Happy

Could you send me some information on e.g. what the contents of the text file should be to the e-mail address mentioned on the SMSTimer Web site (I'd rather not post it here to avoid spam)? I'll get back to you once I've checked how the integration could be done.

shinyford wrote:

3) any chance of releasing the source code? (I know, I know, that's an outrageous request. But I felt I had to ask.)

No harm in asking, but the answer is still no Very Happy

shinyford wrote:

Seriously, this looks brilliant, and I can't wait to get it working. Thanks!

Cheers, appreciate the compliments Smile I will try to get this working with Nokia's phones as soon as possible, I've got a few friends here anxiously waiting for this to happen as well!

Cheers,

- Petri
niemi23
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys, a little help wanted here Smile

I know it's been a while since the last update of SMSTimer - I've been trying to get this bloody thing to work with my Nokia 6310. And guess what? It just MIGHT come down to me having the wrong kind of a serial data cable!! Embarassed

Since I couldn't get things to work I did a little more research in the Web and found out that there actually is a major difference between the DLR-3 and DLR-3P cables. I've got the former and what I would probably need is the latter. Or alternatively another phone model with a DAU-9 cable.

I'll start looking for DLR-3P cable right away, but would any of you guys by any chance have this cable and a suitable Nokia phone (such as 6210 or 6310)? If you have these and some spare time, I'd appreciate it if you could test the latest SMSTimer version with your phone? I mean, simply hook the phone up with Toppy using the cable and start the TAP. Please let me know how it goes!

Cheers,

- Petri
niemi23
Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
Has anyone tried the SMSTimer TAP with a TF5800? Did the TAP at least start properly, i.e. did it print either "Device disconnected" or "Device xxx connected" on the TV screen upon start-up?

At least on one TF5800 the TAP won't even start for some reason, but it has been proven to work on TF5000 and TF5100, so I'd like to know if this is a device/firmware-specific problem or something else...
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
When i get a serial cable for my phone i will try it, which shouldn't be long.
We've just had a firmware update so this could affect it.

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote
niemi23
Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Ugly--Kid--Joe wrote:
When i get a serial cable for my phone i will try it, which shouldn't be long.
We've just had a firmware update so this could affect it.

If you have time, could you try it even though you don't have the cable yet? If the cable/phone is disconnected, the TAP should say so. The important thing is to verify, that it actually does start and print something on the screen on a TF5800 and if it doesn't, I need to start wondering why... Confused
Ugly--Kid--Joe
Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
Will try it tonight, and post my findings.

Transmitter: Caradon Hill
Popcorn Hour:
Runnig FTP Topfield: RT2MEI v1.1: Remote Timers
OTHER:Harmony 885 Remote