Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Interrupted playback on the TOPFIELD

Page 1 of 1
Traxmaster
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
Over the past few months I have been tested out the INVERTO and the TOPFIELD.

The past few weeks I have been using the INVERTO as my main unit as I was waiting for the May 10 th 2005 update.

One thing I have found I use loads is timeshifting or chase play, the INVERTO handles this really well with 2 tuners having a time shift buffer on each. A nice feature is a swap key to change betweem tuners and playback.

Press once - Tuner 1
Press twice - Tuner 2
Press again - What ever is being played back

I normally leave the inverto with Tuner1 BBC1, Tuner 2 ITV 1.
Therefore I always have the last hour of bbc1 and itv1.

The inverto nevers interupts you during playback although it will interupt a timeshift if it needs to use the channel for a recording where you then have various options.

The TOPFIELD only has one buffer which I now see as a major drawback, this buffer is easily deleted just by moving around in the EPG, hopefully JAG's EPG sorts this out.

When the TOPFIELD starts a recording it is automatically added to your playback library in a different colour and may be played back while still recording, when it comes to the end it jumps out this is really really annoying.

Are there any TAPS to stop this happenning?

The inverto doesn't add its recording to the library until its finished recording the whole program, It appears to extend the time shifting buffer over an hour then adds the recording to the library when it has all the data.
A recording can be watched in timeshift mode while still recording without ever being interrupted.

I was watching grand design last night in timeshift mode on the TOPFIELD.
The playback was interrupted once when a new recording started and twice when the recording ended.

The first instance didn't create a bookmark but the second did.

I believe that the single time shift buffer and interrupted play are the biggest things that let down the Topfield over its competition.

Will these ever be addressed or are they fundementals of how the Topfield operates.

Any insite into what could be done with TAPS would be appreciated.
Noodles
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
The interupted playblack issue is the only thing keeping me from buying a Toppy now the bookmarks are back...
Traxmaster
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Now we have had a bug fix update isn't it time we had a wish list of improvements, the only new feature I can see in the latest update is the Bookmark feature (I know we have the latest API which also makes a huge difference).

Maybe we could create a new list of requested improvements and have a poll where you rate your top 3.

I am sure this Interrupt Annoyanace could be handled in a diferent way without stopping playback and would be near the top of the poll.

Nigel, has the point above been discuss with Topfield?

Here are some more example below taken from the present wish list.
a) Unused tuner to collect EPG data in background
b) Quick access to the timer screen
c) Decent EPG ? smaller font/more channels/time per page ? loads all the channels.
d) Ability to browse EPG without it changing the current channel.
e) Why can't it just record in standby?

Ok I know some TAPS offer solutions but it would be nice to see some implemented into the standard software.
Stormin
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 155 Location: Newbury
point a) should really be changed to processing the other mux epg data that is broadcast on every mux, but the toppy ignores.

and I'm rather confused why lots of folks bring up the record in standby issue as surely standby is just that, standby for an event either from the remote or timer. It should work as is to reduce power as much as possible, but came in and out of standby reliably as needed.
Traxmaster
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I see your point but these are just a handfull of examples from the first page of the wish list thread.

It would need someone to trundle through the whole list and summarise.
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
You'll also find that if you go into the Bugs system, and select either Feature change requests, or new feature requests, those items are listed, so you can add comments and ratings.

And Yes, Topfield/Turbosat have direct access to the information there, via the management section of the site.

I don't think we need to add yet more polls to the site, when there's already a way for people to give feedback on these issues.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:43 am Reply with quote
Thanks Nigel I hadn't seen this section before as I have never signed up to services. This was exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of, but you have gone about it in a more comprehensive way.

I see this is listed as bug id 12.
nwhitfield
Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:23 am Reply with quote
Yep; anyone who wants to responsd directly can go to
http://www.toppy.org.uk/services/bug_info.php?bid=12

We did stuff this way because it means we can provide a more structured reporting system for Topfield/Turbosat; English is not the first language of the engineers, and after a while, when forum threads diverge, they can be tricky to follow for the best of us.

Sometitme you'll have to nag a moderator to create a report in the system, but I think it should work better overall.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:05 am Reply with quote
I can now see this has already had a very high response, I suggest any users who havn't logged into services, do so and express their views on the various Critical Bugs,Major Bugs, Minor Bugs, New Features or Existing Features.

It appears most of the Major and Critical Bugs have now been fixed.

The more response that these get, the better chance we have of seeing them resolved.
nwhitfield
Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:37 am Reply with quote
Yep; I'm pretty sure most of those other ones have been fixed, but I want some confirmation from users who were regularly experiencing the issues beforehand, then I'll mark them as resolved. I don't want to just accept what's in the release notes for the firmware.

Nigel.

Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:13 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 163
I have noticed that my Toppy is interupting the viewing of recordings before a new recording starts. This happened twice last night. A message about the main service changing briefly flashed on screen , then the channel changed to the service it was going to record to.
Darkmatter
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
The Toppy will do that if the tuner it wants to use to record is currently in use. You shouldn?t see it with a single record. However, there are a number of TAPs available that create timers using something other than tuner 4 (= use which ever tuner is free at the time the recording starts). Timer Extend, and JAG EPG are two that spring to mind. With these you must manually configure the default tuner to be number 4.
Beancounter
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 163
Darkmatter wrote:
other than tuner 4 (= use which ever tuner is free at the time the recording starts). Timer Extend, and JAG EPG are two that spring to mind. With these you must manually configure the default tuner to be number 4.

I am using Jags EPG at the moment and I have the default tuner at 4.
CD3660
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Apr 2005 Posts: 344 Location: Cheshire, UK
Beancounter - Me too, and I get the same problem (which happens to be my only remaining complaint on an otherwise excellent piece of kit).
Roger
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Traxmaster wrote:
One thing I have found I use loads is timeshifting or chase play, the INVERTO handles this really well with 2 tuners having a time shift buffer on each. A nice feature is a swap key to change betweem tuners and playback.

Could this be added as a feature request/change to the bug tracking system please?