Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Firmware Upgrade Testing Status

Page 1 of 1
nashi
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:29 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 37
Given the problems reported by a number of users after upgrading the firmware can someone who has good communications with TurboSat/Topfield find out what level of testing was performed on this release?
Whilst I joined in with other members in congratulating Topfield for provided this upgrade so quickly and on time, I am concerned that it is more of a beta release and that we are performing much of the testing for them.
If this is the case then we should have been informed in advance so that only those prepared to have their Toppy become less stable would apply the new firmware. Also the old firmware should be available so that those that want to can revert back to a more stable machine.
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:53 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Well, we already know that they had two engineers over here for a week, testing things, and trying to resolve the issues that we had on our list, which is pretty dedicated.

The issues that have cropped up - of which the Radio one seems the most notable - aren't in areas where we'd reported problems beforehand, and are probably an unintended side-effect of other changes.

It's pretty hard to check everything all the time. If anyone's unsure and happy with what they have, hold off for a few days and see how many reports we have of issues.

There appear, really, to have been relatively few people reporting things other than the Mux A radio issue so far.

Nigel.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 37
I do underestand how complex it is to test everything in a product like this. For example the crash I had yesterday when renaming a file (which has happened to one other member) could occur when there are no programmes recording, one programme or two programmes recording. There could be a lot of other variables in the state of the Toppy when this specific action occurs and this could be true of other problems.
I am sure many members are happy to beta test firmware releases for Topfield but I think that they should be clear if this is what is going to happen.
I have had two crashes since upgrading the firmware, none with the old firmware and therefore am feeling less than happy with the current position.
Topfield should know the types of operations and status of the Toppy that is likely to stress it and lead to crashes and these should be tested as much as possible before releasing new firmware.
rodneyfoy
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 66
I, for one, prefer the approach that Topfield have taken to provide a speedy update that, hopefully, makes the Toppy even better. I'm one of those who I doesn't mind testing the software and reporting any problems rather than waiting for Topfield to complete even more stringent testing.

I think most people realise that there is a possibility of problems with any software update, and there's no need to label it "beta". After reading recent posts, I'm not yet sure that the update has caused any serious difficulties - but perhaps your crashes are the first.

I agree, however, that Topfield should provide the original version. Perhaps they will if it becomes clear that some people have unresolved difficulties

It is upsetting if you have crashes after updating, and can't roll back a version to determine if the update caused the problem (and thus provide useful data to Topfield).

I experienced no problems last night, but time will tell.
tommyboyuk
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 21 Apr 2005 Posts: 134 Location: London; Crystal Palace TM
Having a PVR that is fully customizable, we must all realise that at times the box will crash.

Determining how these faults occur will always be difficult as is is never known what the user was doing at the time, what taps were running etc.

One thing can be sure is that Topfield would not make your box inoperable on purpose!

You just have to look at other forums where boxes are faulty that never get updates. The manufacturers just expect you to buy their next model!

It bugs me also where someone will say 'i tried changing channels 50 times and the box crashed- i am sending back this rubbish'.

I for one am happy with the Toppy; yes it can be quirky and problems can occur. However I am sticking with it, looking forward to future enhancements and home-made taps. This is the best box out there!

Cheers all

TB
jumbo
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Please, please, please request that Topfield provide a copy of the "old" firmware for people who might want to test the "new" and "old" so as to come to an objective conclusion about potential problems.

The upgrade process was so simple and painless that a few minutes (for those prepared to spend the time and effort to compare the before and after) would be well spent and appreciated and in the interest of all users AND Topfield!