Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Update is here!

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
ceejbee
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 145 Location: The Black Country
I have just downloaded the file from Topfields site.

Reading all the fixes listed, there are more than I expected. Can't install it until tonight, but kind of them to put it on the site during my lunch hour.

ceejbee.
tim
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 34
Cool, wasn't expecting 22 fixes! Fair play to the Koreans (and Nigel for a great site).
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
I was expecting that many; I just didn't want people to get too excited beforehand.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 1472 Location: Cornwall
Is there any way of archiving the existing firmware incase anything unexpected happens Embarassed . Do topfield have this on there website (can't see it)
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
No, there isn't. But I've been running a previous version of the update for a few days, without any problems.

For a guide to performing the update that's not translated from Korean, download the one from this site:

http://www.toppy.org.uk/documents/Upgrading%20Firmware%20%28May%202005%29.pdf

Nigel.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
When the Topfield was announced in the UK for the Tuesday after easter I am sure there were lots of sceptics that thought it wouldn't be delivered on time. I ordered one of the first Topfields to arrive in the Uk and it was delivered exactly on time unlike promises from lots of other PVR manufacturers.

This new update shows great support from the Koreans (22 fixes/improvments) and they also delivered exactly on time again. This sort of support is something I find invaluable in a cutting edge product where there are bound to be bugs etc.

This update shows how serious the Koreans are, they must be commended.

Nigel I am sure after testing this new software you would give the Topfield 4 out of 5?
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Yes; had this been available when I did the review for Computer Active, it would certainly have scored 4/5.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Nigel

Does the new update mean most foriegn TAPs will now work without modification or are there still issues due to differernt remote keys?

I take it the latest API in now fully functional?
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Briefly, yes, most TAPs will work without modification, or they certainly should. And you can compiled against API 1.21 (both points covered in my excellent (even if I do say so myself...)) guide to the update.

There are issues, of course; we don't have a UHF key, for example, so anything that relies on that, or other keys we don't have, will need changing, or options setting, But by and large, play away - just make sure you report back when you've tried things, so we can mark TAPs as ok for the UK firmware in the software library.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Posts: 96 Location: Guildford
I notice on the list of fixes for the update, that the clock now recognises BST. Does this mean we no longer have to offset the clock by 1hr?
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Damn good question; I've been running a sample version of the update, and when I removed the offset, it wasn't added again - but then again, that might be expected.

I have a feeling we're not going to know what happens until October! There's a possibility that it will check at 0200 (or is it 0100) each day, and adjust accordingly, but that's not strictly necessary.

I think this is one that I won't necessarily be able to tick off the list for a while.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Nigel for the Reply

I hadn't seen your may update FAQ.

Does the blue button do the 10 seconds back like the Australian version?
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
No, it doesn't. But skip back functionality does appear when you're using Progress Bar Keys, so I need to look some more at that. PBK, unfortunately, needs a tweak, since you can't set bookmarks or jump to them on the UK model unless the progress bar is on screen, presumably to allow for MHEG grabbing the keys the rest of the time.

Bear in mind, however, that the guide was written with an earlier version of the firmware update than the one that's appeared today. When I have time to update again, I'll see if I can spot any major differences.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
I've just had an email from TurboSat saying they they are willing to do the upgrade for me if I cannot do it myself. I'm betting it's a circular sent to every TurboSat buyer who came through the DigitalSpy route. What good service!

I've politely declined but thought I'd post here about it.

matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:27 pm Reply with quote
My understanding of this is that if you are able to take your Toppy into Turbosat, they can do it for you, free of charge.

If you're unable to take it to them yourself, I gather that you'll have to cover the carriage costs to their Kent office, which is where the technical department is based, and then they'll do the upgrade and cover the costs of shipping it back to you, which seems reasonably fair.

There can't be many people who don't have access to a PC somewhere, I'd have thought.

Nigel.