Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Topfield .rec conversion to mpg

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
andyb
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
Hi

Very interested in getting a Topfield but one of the main reasons would be the ability to transfer the recordings to my PC. I do have a few questions though which I hope someone can answer.

Once the files are transferred to the PC in the .rec format

a) How long does it take to produce the DVD compatible files using ProjectX?
b) Are the files the same size as the originals?

One of the mail reasons for the transfer of files is that my friend in the States downloads programmes from my machine using FTP so I need to get the file sizes down to about 300mb for 30 minutes of footage using mpg or divx and the like. Does anyone have any experience of doing this, obviously the stats will be machine dependent but roughly how long did it take to convert the files is and what software did you use.

I know my questions are quite specific but they are the only ones holding me back on buying what looks like a great piece of kit.

Many thanks in advance

Andy
Traxmaster
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 206
Vedeoredo can handle the .rec files directly allowing easy cut out of ads and save them to mpg in minutes.

Converting to mpg is very quick.

I suggest you experiment with conversion of mpeg files to divx as this is where the time will mount up.

If you post an email address, I can get in contact with you and send you a 5 minute recording to experiment with.
andyb
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
Traxmaster wrote:
Vedeoredo can handle the .rec files directly allowing easy cut out of ads and save them to mpg in minutes.

Converting to mpg is very quick.

I suggest you experiment with conversion of mpeg files to divx as this is where the time will mount up.

If you post an email address, I can get in contact with you and send you a 5 minute recording to experiment with.

I've just sent you a pm mate, thanks for your help

Andy
Normsthename
Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 118
I use Wombles Mpeg Wizard, this can open .rec files directly. To edit out commercials etc and save to Mpeg video only takes a couple of minutes.
The only other possibly slow process is the DVD authoring package you use, a lot of the programs insist on re-encoding the video even if it is Mpeg2 compliant, so find one that just outputs the file to disc.
My DVD recorder can read DVD data discs, so all I do is copy the mpeg file to disc and it plays without any authoring. At a later date, I can still author the DVD disc if I want.
Traxmaster
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know of any DVD author package that doesn't need to re-encode the mpeg file just convert it to vob files?
groovyf
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 433 Location: Halifax, Emley Moor transmitter
Adobe Encore takes the mpv and mp2 output of PVAStrumento/Project X and creates the DVD structure (VOBs, etc) without needing to re-encode (in Encore, select the file, and then "Do not transcode")

Works OK and plays a created DVD that plays just fine in my standalone DVD player.

Traxmaster
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:40 am Reply with quote
Can it use an already combined mpg file or does it have to be split into component parts?

TMPEGenc dvd author can also do this with component parts, I was wondering if any software can do it with an already complient mpg file.
groovyf
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 433 Location: Halifax, Emley Moor transmitter
I haven't tried that. I guess I could export the .rec file from PVAStrumento to .mpg format and then try it with Encore.
I'll let you know

Traxmaster
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Many thanks.
groovyf
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Using PVAStrumento, I exported the .rec of Doctor Who EP6 to a single .mpg file.
Created a project in Encore, imported the mpg as an asset. (it auto-detected that the file didn't need transcoding)
Then I created a new timeline and dropped the mpg onto it. All that worked OK.

Created a DVD via Encore, lo and behold it works fine in my standalone DVD player.

Success.

Traxmaster
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quote
Can you post back
1) how long it takes to create dvd compliant files from the mpg file
2) The size of the mpg file in time units or megabytes.

I would like to find the fastest method and would like to know if it beats tmpegenc when it uses single component files (this is very fast)
groovyf
Posted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
File size is: 1.54 GB (1,661,730,816 bytes)
Time to build files: 2min 8sec

(System spec: Athlon 64 cpu 3500+, 2GB RAM, Hitachi 250GB 7200rpm HDD)

Though I think it's mainly disk speed when it's building the DVD file system

Hope that's of some help

Traxmaster
Posted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:28 am Reply with quote
That is quick, thanks for the info.
malc
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1380
FYI

Nero Vison Express can handle toppy .rec files directly. NVE is a DVD authoring tool that comes with the full Nero CD/DVD writer software (www.ahead.de). You can combine sections, split into chapters, cut, make DVD menu systems, etc. Then burn the DVD.

Nero Showtime can also play .rec files too.
Traxmaster
Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I could never get this to work using nero , I got nero to play the .rec files directly if third party codecs were indstalled. Do you have any special codecs installed?

I have 'Moonlight-Elecard MPEG Player 3.0" installed as a shareware version and I can play the .re3c files with nero player and windows media player.
If I uninstall nero won't play the file.

I will try the latest version and post back.