Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  "this version of mystuff has deceased!!"

Page 1 of 1
martin_999
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
hi,
my mother-in-law's toppy has this morning a "this verion of mystuff has deceased" error, ending in mystuff shutting down because it is an "exversion"??

does mystuff have an expiary in it? any way i can fix this??

I know i could upgrade mystuff, but i could do without spending the weekend at the mother-in-law's fixing and upgrading her toppy. Is there something i can do to keep running the old version (3.14)?
chunkywizard
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Martin,

I am unaware of expiry on MyStuff. Do you have any more details of what happened? Also what is displayed in the Toppy is rebooted? I guess it might be quite hard to get good info out of your Mother-in-law (unless she is tech-savvy) but any more info would help.

Cheers

CW

chunkywizard
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Martin,

well I have just checked with Bob and yep, 3.14 expires today. Bob said he put it in there a while back and has never taken it out. You need to upgrade to v. 4.0 to get rid of the message. I guess this raises the question of when v4.0 will expire. I will check what his thoughts are on whether other versions will expire.

Cheers

CW

DX
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
Deleted - please ignore
martin_999
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
sigh :( I dont suppose there is a hotkey/setting change i can quickly do to disable the expiry? Otherwise it looks like a weekend at the mother-in-law's !
chunkywizard
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Hi Folks,

just checked with Bob and V4 has expiry in it, in that the message is there, but he has no plans to actually let it expire, i.e. he will release new versions before the expiry that either have a later expiry in them, or that have had the message removed.

The main reason for doing this is it serves as a way of making sure people update to latest versions so support is easier.

BTW, Bob has no plans to start charging for MyStuff at the moment but donations are always welcome (hint hint)

HTH

Chunkywizard

simonc
Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:05 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5640 Location: Cheltenham
Oh dear. Amusing expiry messages are all very well, but they do have a tendency to lose the amusement factor when it causes the user some inconvenience. Hat's off to Bob though for stating which TAP it is that expired Wink
chunkywizard
Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Hi Folks,

I definitely think that a feature request for the new version of MyStuff will be to handle this better. Suggestions are welcome. Martin, AFAIK there is no override for this, looks like you will have to go and see the Mother-in-law, sorry. If it's any concellation, my parents have a Toppy with MyStuff on and i'm IT support for them!

Cheers

Chunkywizard

simonc
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5640 Location: Cheltenham
I see from the MyStuff thread that Bob has this covered.
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
yep, sure does... roll on the next release. In fact the flagging of expired versions is using the same method of displaying (by using the N&N box or Grid EPG) as tuning to a channel that is not in your favourites list and also epxired MEI files. It looks much nicer IMHO and gets rid of those pops ups!

Cheers

Chunkywizard