Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  Recorded BBC1 programme switching to itv4 and back!

Page 1 of 7
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
humphrey1
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Feb 2006 Posts: 205 Location: Hannington
Curious (and annoying) behaviour. Last night I got round to watching the first episode of BBC One's Waterloo Road from last Thursday. A few minutes in to the programme the picture (and sound) broke up and I got a brief burst of some football before Waterloo Road returned. Then a few moments later the picture (and sound) broke up again and I found myself watching (and listening to) some football match from ITV4. After several minutes of football it broke up and I was returned to Waterloo Road having missed a good chunk of the programme.

The file shows no indication of having been corrupted, and I presume the football was showing on ITV4 on Thursday evening and for some reason the Topfield retuned itself while continuing to record and then retuned back again. What surprised me particularly was that the 'rogue' channel is not even on the same multiplex as BBC One which might have been slightly more understandable.

Unfortunately, as this was several days ago I cannot now recall whether the Toppy was performing any other functions while recording Waterloo Road or whether I might have pressed any particular buttons at the time to trigger this behaviour. My firmware is 5.12.25.

Now that this has occurred I have a vague recollection of something similar occurring once previously. Except that I haven't seen any previous reference to anyone else experiencing this kind of problem I would regard this as potentially a Major Bug. Unfortunately the very nature of the problem makes it difficult to replicate (and therefore verify) as it would usually only become apparent upon playback after the event and may even be triggered by an external cause.

Has anyone else experienced similar, or have any theories?
MikeyP
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2006 Posts: 4818
it could also be, just as easily - just a failing/faulty toppy (in some area)?
Chris R
Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Mar 2006 Posts: 176
I have seen a similar problem on my Toppy. On 3 separate occasions I have tried to record BBC 1 while watching ITV 3, but the Toppy recorded ITV 4. The first time I checked the whole recording - it was ITV 4 all the way through. The second time I noticed that the info with the programme was from BBC3. The third time was last night. On all three occasions the title of the recording was for the BBC 1 programme I wanted.

I am using JAGs EPG with 1 minute before and 5 minutes after set. Each time it went wrong was at 7.30 in the evening (perhaps it just doesn't like EastEnders!).
humphrey1
Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I also use JAGs: at the moment v2.7 Radio and v3 (beta) TV. My default setting for padding is 1 min before and 5 after. At the moment I'm inclined to think this simply coincidence but you never know.
humphrey1
Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Brief recurrence of this issue last night. Just thought I would post to try and capture the circumstances that might be causing it. I'm still running Jags (v3 beta), UK/OZ Surfer, Quickjump and PowerManager.
I had a timer recording set for BBC1 for New Street Law followed by Sport Relief which began as expected and recorded right through till just after ten.
While New Street Law was recording I was playing back a recording from the previous week and I believe the second (or other) tuner was on the itv multiplex (because I had been watching E4. When my playback finished it was a little after nine and I thought I would watch the Sport Relief programme from the beginning on chase play. However, when I 'rewound' a couple of minutes I found that the recording had switched itself from BBC1 to ITV4 for a minute or so (thankfully after New Street Law had finished) before correcting itself and correctly recording the rest of the Sport Relief programme.

Odd.

P.S. Not that I think it relevant but for the record I now receive Freeview from a different transmitter from the last time I noted this phenomenon.
mlavende
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 340
humphrey1 wrote:
Brief recurrence of this issue last night. Just thought I would post to try and capture the circumstances that might be causing it. I'm still running Jags (v3 beta), UK/OZ Surfer, Quickjump and PowerManager.
I had a timer recording set for BBC1 for New Street Law followed by Sport Relief which began as expected and recorded right through till just after ten.
While New Street Law was recording I was playing back a recording from the previous week and I believe the second (or other) tuner was on the itv multiplex (because I had been watching E4. When my playback finished it was a little after nine and I thought I would watch the Sport Relief programme from the beginning on chase play. However, when I 'rewound' a couple of minutes I found that the recording had switched itself from BBC1 to ITV4 for a minute or so (thankfully after New Street Law had finished) before correcting itself and correctly recording the rest of the Sport Relief programme.

Odd.

P.S. Not that I think it relevant but for the record I now receive Freeview from a different transmitter from the last time I noted this phenomenon.

For what it's worth I've seen this bug a few times. Haven't had it for some time now though. The last time was for a recording of Medium. Some time into it the recording it switched to ITV4 briefly and then back again.

As you say, "Odd"

-Mat

mlavende
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 340
I had this again earlier this week during a recording of Eastenders on BBC1. Whilst watching it, the recording suddenly switched to another channel, not sure it was ITV4, but after a couple of minutes it switched back to BBC1.

For what it's worth I can remember playing with the channels in PIP whilst the recording was happening, so maybe that gives a clue ?

-Mat

humphrey1
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for posting, mlavende. I think it's becoming clearer that this may not simply be a case of a couple of faulty machines. I tend to use PIP or at least UK/OzSurfer quite a bit so I'm inclined to think there must be some sort of connection between that and the symptons reported. Since the bug involves switching channels it would make sense to me.

It'll be interesting to see whether the new firmware seems to make any difference, although to be honest I haven't noticed this behaviour lately. (Probably because I've not been in much to watch - and therefore fiddle with PIP - at the same time as recordings.)
humphrey1
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:22 pm Reply with quote
For the record, this bug has manifested itself again. This time on a recording of Comedy Connections (BBC1) the Friday before last. Towards the end of the programme, the recording pixellated slightly and switched to ITV4, meaning I missed the end of the programme.

Again I may have operated the PiP function (perhaps via SuperPiP) at the time the recording was being made.

I don't expect anyone to have a solution, but if more cases are documented it may become easier to track down the cause.

TAPs: Control Lock V1.1; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.4; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Surfer v0.14; TF5000 Display v1.43; TSSaver v0.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/13
?
tichtich
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
I remember seeing a similar phenomenon on two occasions about a year ago. (I think I posted about it at the time, but no one else recognised it.) It hasn't happened to me again since, so I haven't worried about it. Of course, I was using a much older firmware at that time.

FWIW I've never used UK/OZsurfer and I virtually never use PiP, though I can't completely rule out the possibility that I was using PiP at that time.

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
A year or so ago, it may have been though it was possibly the bug related to playback stopping while dual recording.

If people can try and reproduce this, it would be very helpful - try using PiP, since that's been hinted at in a few posts.

And - as ever - remember to say which firmware you're using.

Nigel.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
A year or so ago, it may have been though it was possibly the bug related to playback stopping while dual recording.

Actually, I think it was rather more than a year. And it didn't resemble the symptoms of the dual recording bug at all.

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
Well, the end result - recordings which change channel in the middle - was something that the dual record/playback bug could also cause...

Nigel.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
Well, the end result - recordings which change channel in the middle - was something that the dual record/playback bug could also cause...

OK, I didn't know that.

nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
I can't remember which firmware it was that had that bug; but it would be interesting to know if the two tend to be found together. It looks like something in the logic of not checking what one of the tuners is being used for before grabbing it for live viewing, either after the end of playback, or perhaps via PiP.

Nigel.