Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Optical Sound

Page 1 of 1
Paul97
Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:21 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 07 May 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Washington, Tyne And Wear
Had my Toppy for a couple of days now and am really pleased with it Very Happy , I am using the analogue connections to my AV receiver for sound and was wondering if it was worth connecting the optical option, would I get a better quality sound?
Also in the Menu set up there is 5 different settings i.e. PAL 1,Pal G,PAL K, etc what are the differences?

Paul
nudel
Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 38 Location: London, England
You'll probably get slightly better sound from the digital (optical) output, assuming that your amp has a better digital-to-analogue converter than the Toppy. I haven't bothered yet myself (since it involves more input switching on the amp) but I'm thinking about it.

I think the different PAL settings are for different countries (which use slightly different versions of PAL). The box should work with the default and not need changing.
Brava_210
Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 328 Location: Bristol
Paul97 wrote:
Had my Toppy for a couple of days now and am really pleased with it Very Happy , I am using the analogue connections to my AV receiver for sound and was wondering if it was worth connecting the optical option, would I get a better quality sound?
Also in the Menu set up there is 5 different settings i.e. PAL 1,Pal G,PAL K, etc what are the differences?

Paul

yes it is worth it,i have mine connected on my yamaha 750se and it is very nice..

nwhitfield
Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:45 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
nudel wrote:
I think the different PAL settings are for different countries (which use slightly different versions of PAL). The box should work with the default and not need changing.

Actually, with the original UK firmware, the default is set to PAL G, which is incorrect for the UK. It should be PAL I.

I'm told this is addressed by the update, but I can't be certain - I don't suppose it's likely to change the settings on systems that are upgraded.

Nigel.

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 38 Location: London, England
Quote:
Actually, with the original UK firmware, the default is set to PAL G, which is incorrect for the UK. It should be PAL I.

Oh, weird! Does it only affect people connecting the Toppy via RF? I don't think I ever changed the setting but since I'm using SCART (and DVB reception is presumably independent of the PAL mode?) I guess I've never noticed that it's wrong.
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Yep; it won't make any difference unless you're using the RF output, which is why very few people have stumbled across the issue.

I've done away completely with an aerial connection to my TV and VCR now. I actually used the VCR briefly yesterday, but that was only to check that I'd wired up the new surround decoder ok for all the sources.

Nigel.

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 07 May 2005 Posts: 61 Location: Washington, Tyne And Wear
Thanks for all the help everyone, still no EPG on ITV & Ch 4, anyone else having this problem, it was OK when I installed it?
Paul
thesaint
Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Apr 2005 Posts: 366 Location: Darlington
I see the epg is now back on ITV & CH4 been off all weekend Im on billsdale tx but it seems its been universal over the country Cool