Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  Site updates

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Admin
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 16 Apr 2005 Posts: 67 Location: London, UK
I'm slowly adding new bits to the site, but obviously not linking them to the main home page.

I have, however, updated the Home button at the top of these forums, so that it takes you to what will become the home page - http://www.toppy.org.uk/index2.php

Take a look around, and let me know what you think. I'll be adding sections slowly over the next few days. So far, you'll see that the Home button on the Services page takes you to the new home page, and the Help and Shops links are active there, with more to come during the evening.

Nigel.

Admin
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to whoever posted the link on the DS forum...

I'm taking this section of the site offline, because I don't want loads of users clicking around trying to run scripts while I'm still building the database.

Sorry.

Nigel.

nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
The document library section of the site is now online. You access it from the front page by clicking on the Guides button, and the documents are divided into three sections - Official Topfield Guides, User contributed documents (like Darkmatter's quick start guide), and Sales literature.

Feedback is welcome; would it be better, for example, to have the page work like the Links page on toppy.tv, where there's a selector to choose the type of document? I'm wondering if it may become a bit too unwieldy if there are lots of documents.

Obviously the list of docs is pretty skimpy at the moment; I've populated the database with just enough stuff to test things for now.

Nigel

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Nige, just a minor point ? there are two ?home? links up there, one in the Yabb bar, and another in your top right section.

On a related thought ? I wasn?t sure where to post that comment - would a seperate forum for comments be useful at this stage ? people could leave feedback on the site, and it would keep things separate.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:13 am Reply with quote
Yep; I spotted that. I'll tinker with the forum code to make the Yabb home link say something like Forum Home instead.

I'm ok with comments appearing here; I can always delete the thread or close it later, before the masses descend on us.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Nigel, can I make a suggestion ? the default icons for ?no-post? & ?new post? are very similar. Can you make them obviously different. Perhaps using the standard folder icon (without a star) for ?no post?, and something that stands out for ?new post? ? like

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Just tried that icon ? it?s vile. Try these instead:

No post

New post

[edit]

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quote
That's done; thanks for sorting out the icons. You may need to hit refresh to persuade your browser to update and display the new ones.

Also, you'll see the link at the top of the forums now say 'Forum top' instead of Home, which should be less  confusing.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Aaargh! You've changed them again!

I'll try to do some more tinkering later; I'm up to my eyes today with an article that I'm supposed to have done last week, and I've still got to try and memorise most of a 40 page presentation for a meeting with Microsoft tomorrow afternoon!

My brain hurts!

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Yep?.I?m board, and there?s not much going on here??I do requests as well?? Smile

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Tonight's updates are the links page, which is now active from the index2 page. You'll also notice I've tweaked the colour scheme for glossary highlights.

There's also some behind the scenes stuff, to allow other people to help with creating entries for the various databases that drive the links, guides, glossary and so forth.

I someone would like to help with those - I'm particularly going to need help with entering details of TAPs, for example, please let me know, and I'll set up an admin account that you can play with.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:45 pm Reply with quote
drop me an email

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 452 Location: Cheshire
There's a line in the YABB css portion of the main page ("a.nav:hover") that is adding an underline to hyperlinked text.  It isn't problem in "Services" or "Home" but  the a.nav:hover underlining of "toppyOrgUK.png" is causing the whole page below it to move down by the width of the underline.  Hover over "Toppy.org.uk" and you'll see what I mean.

The td class where toppyOrgUK.png sits is "windowbg2", so I really don't see why it gets the class attributes of "a.nav:hover" applied, but then maybe I am missing something.   Wink

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:34 am Reply with quote
Tonight's set of updates has added the FAQ section, which contains a more easily updateable version of the FAQ from www.toppy.tv.

I'd like feedback, please, and suggestions of extra entries.

Also, how do people feel about the new front page?

The site now allows other people to update certain areas, including adding FAQs and Links. Who wants to volunteer to hunt out a few extra entries for those sections for me?

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
[quote author=rhubarbe link=board=news;num=1111436347;start=0#12 date=03/22/05 at 23:25:19]  the a.nav:hover underlining of "toppyOrgUK.png" is causing the whole page below it to move down by the width of the underline.  Hover over "Toppy.org.uk" and you'll see what I mean.
[/quote]

I've fixed this, by the simple method of removing the link from the site logo, so you have to click on the Home button to get back to the home page. I don't think that's too complicated for users.

Note also that the Services button may give you an page not found error at the moment; I'm in the middle of updating that section of the site, and will be uploading most of it later today.

Nigel.