Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Jags EPG or eit2mei with MyStuff 4.02? -- for TAPS newbie

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Brownie
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jan 2006 Posts: 108 Location: Devon
Hi,
I am a complete TAPS novice, and I'm just about to take the plunge (again! I was just about ready to go with the old version of MyStuff, when it was relaunched with a new identity). Anyway, I know that I need an EPG harvester to work with the new MyStuff 4.02, and can see that there has been much written about both Jags EPG and eit2mei. To a novice like me, the threads on these two subjects are a little overwhelming... I have a very simple question:
considering that I have no experience of, or loyalty to anything other than the TAP-free Toppy -- which EPG harvester would people recommend? I know its subjective, but I'm just looking for something simple to get me started whilst I learn about MyStuff.
I'd be grateful for any ideas. Also, is it a good idea to load more than two taps at once -- I think I've just read something about their being a bug associated with just having two TAPS on the Toppy.
Thanks Again,
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
MyStuff 4.02, eit2mei and Remote Extender should get you over the two TAP issue, (which by the way, I've only seen raised today, so not sure where that came from, yet. Have to do some more digging around).

That way you get MyStuff functionality, with full use of all the remote buttons whilst in any TAP, and a method of populating the epg Very Happy

PS There is an issue where using more than two TAPs and activating an MHEG service that requires a tuner to be free does cause a crash. That's all I can think off at the mo' Confused

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
EMJB
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3637 Location: Maldon Essex
Have you read this:

http://www.toppy.org.uk/documents/1-EPG3.pdf?
Brownie
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
MyStuff 4.02, eit2mei and Remote Extender should get you over the two TAP issue, [i](which by the way, I've only seen raised today, so not sure where that came from, yet. Have to do some more digging around)

Thanks -- that's the kind of simple advice I'm looking for

sorry -- what does this mean
Quote:
activating an MHEG service that requires a tuner to be free
danb77
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Nov 2005 Posts: 763
Brownie wrote:

sorry -- what does this mean
Quote:
activating an MHEG service that requires a tuner to be free

Choosing a teletext service which switches to another video stream - like BBC News24 interactive.

If you do this while both tuners are already recording it can crash the Toppy and ruin both recordings!

TAPs: SDS V1.3d; Extend v1.7; TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.69; MyStuff 6.0; Tap Launcher 3.10; Font Manager 1.0d; TAP Commander 1.34; WSSkiller V2.12d; Power Manager v1.2; UK Subtitle 1.8; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub v0.6; MyInfo B4.0; EPG2MEI v0.93e;
Sig generated by MyInfo TAP on 21/9/09
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
You're conducting two recordings and you press Red for a digital interactive service, popular with the Olympics at the mo' and elect to watch an alternative view of that event, or a minority event that the BBC don't want to show on the main channels, or BBC Parliament, or News Multi-Screen. All of these need a tuner to be able to display the results. If you've got both tuners conducting recordings, there's no tuner free, and with two or more TAPs the Toppy will crash, rather than display its usual warning when running TAPless.

Brownie
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't sound good -- would you suggest going with the three TAPS you mentioned above instead?
danb77
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Nov 2005 Posts: 763
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
You're conducting two recordings and you press Red for a digital interactive service, popular with the Olympics at the mo' and elect to watch an alternative view of that event, or a minority event that the BBC don't want to show on the main channels, or BBC Parliament, or News Multi-Screen. All of these need a tuner to be able to display the results. If you've got both tuners conducting recordings, there's no tuner free, and with two or more TAPs the Toppy will crash, rather than display its usual warning when running TAPless.

Have we reported this bug to Topfield by the way?....

TAPs: SDS V1.3d; Extend v1.7; TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.69; MyStuff 6.0; Tap Launcher 3.10; Font Manager 1.0d; TAP Commander 1.34; WSSkiller V2.12d; Power Manager v1.2; UK Subtitle 1.8; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub v0.6; MyInfo B4.0; EPG2MEI v0.93e;
Sig generated by MyInfo TAP on 21/9/09
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Brownie wrote:
That doesn't sound good -- would you suggest going with the three TAPS you mentioned above instead?
A combination of two or more TAPs of any description will do it I'm afraid. Personally, I have MHEG services turned off Cool

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
danb77 wrote:
Have we reported this bug to Topfield by the way?....
Well, it's in the bugs database...

http://www.toppy.org.uk/services/bug_info.php?bid=79

Brownie
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
But Sad I'm enjoying the Olympics at the moment Very Happy
shall I just try MyStuff 4.02 and eit2mei -- and hope that the problem with just two TAPS isn't very serious?
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
It's only serious if you're recording two simultaneous programs and use the MHEG services as I've described.

Just ensure you've got a tuner free if you want to access these additional interactive services.

Brownie
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your advice.
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:

is there anywhere where I can get a list of which channels are going to cause problems? Also, if I watch News 24, without going interactive is that okay? And... How do you turn the MHEG services off?
Quote:
CD3660
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Apr 2005 Posts: 344 Location: Cheshire, UK
Brownie wrote:
How do you turn the MHEG services off?

Bring up the Toppy menu and go to System Setting - it is the last option (Interactive Service).Select "disable". Smile

Autostart TAPs (in load order): MyStuff 5.62a, Quickjump 1.71, eit2mei beta 7.8m3, ImproBox 2.1 RC8a, MeiSearch 1.35, UK Timers 1.2a, and Tap Commander 1.32
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
You can turn MHEG off by pressing Menu then choosing System Setting. When it's turned on the Interactive Service option at the bottom of the screen says Enable (it should be Enabled); change to Disable.

(just going to add this to the FAQs).

Nigel.