Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Recording radio

Page 1 of 1
marctwo
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 May 2005 Posts: 33
Should be taking delivery of my Toppy today. Read somewhere that it can record radio to mp3. Is that true? If so, how does it work? Is it a case of using the EPG the same way as TV?

Thanks in advance,

Marc
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
I'm not sure what format the radio is recorded as, since I've not yet transferred any recordings to the Mac, but yes, you can certainly set recordings from the EPG just like you do for TV programmes.

NIgel.
marctwo
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
I'm not sure what format the radio is recorded as, since I've not yet transferred any recordings to the Mac, but yes, you can certainly set recordings from the EPG just like you do for TV programmes.

NIgel.

Thanks. I shall do some tests when I get it and let you know. Really happy that there is such good Mac support for this product Smile
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. Glad to see another Mac user around the forums. Check the Guides section of the site, and you'll find that there's a 4 page PDF explaining how to create DVDs from the Toppy.

I would suspect that one of the simplest things to do on a Mac might be to simply find the file with MPEG Streamclip and then choose Demux to AIFF, which you can then process with all manner of Mac apps.

Nigel.

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice. More interested in creating DivXs from the toppy than DVDs though. Are there any guides to doing this? Any idea how long it all takes? I have made a few DVDs with iDVD and I had to leave my poor 1.25GHz Powerbook running overnight!
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I've not tried creating DiVX stuff yet, but I see that there are some features in the latest version of MPEG Streamclip, which you can grab from the Mac section of the download library: http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/mac.php

Check the Computer Connections forum, where youll find a thread about making DVDs, which gives a rough idea of the time involved using the alternative solution in our guide.

I'll have a bash at DiVX when I've treated myself to a new DVD player than understands them. My present one won't play some commercial disks, or any recordable ones.

Nigel.

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Just got a Yamada 6700 from ebuyer and it plays everything I put in it. It looks a little cheap and the interface isn't the best ever but it plays stuff and that's the most important thing!
marctwo
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Nigel,

I read your guide to making a DVD on the Mac. Its really great, thanks so much. You mention at the start that Toast does much of the work for you. How would this process differ using Toast? Also, can you use iDVD?

Thanks,

Marc
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm afraid I don't have Toast, so I can't tell you the answer to that one. And I've not yet had the patience to do a guide for iDVD. I find that terribly annoying if you're not trying to do things in the way that it expects, especially with my current 867MHz Powerbook.

New one should arrive soon, so perhaps I'll have another bash with iDVD then, and knock up a guide.

Nigel.