Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff 4.0

Page 145 of 145
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145
BigKev
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:33 am Reply with quote
How about having an option in the settings to display the expiration messages e.g. off, daily, weekly, etc?

I've had my Toppy 3 weeks and installed MyStuff straight away. Got to say it is excellent.

Upgraded as soon as I got the message, but I understand MeanTeam's issues.

New version is great though, looks a lot more 'polished'.
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi BigKev,

if we had an option everybody would turn it off Laughing

Bob wants to have some notice in MyStuff to make people think about upgrading to the latest version after a period of time, that's his preogative. Before, this was a tad agressive, hopefully in 4.51 it will be acceptable.

Cheers

CW

cookie365
Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 223
chunkywizard wrote:
Hi Meanteam,

just wait a bit. It is looking like that the next version of MyStuff (4.51) will *never* expire, just explain it is out of date once or twice a day (depending on how much you use it). We are currently finalising this after all the feedback we have had. You should only have to upgrade it once a year-ish (depending on the final dates that get used). This will be all explained properly when 4.51 is released. Then you should have the information to make a decision on whether or not you can install and support MyStuff on your parents Toppy.

CW

Once or twice a week would be better. After all, if the whole point is to remind people that there's an updated version, hopefully they won't have forgotten by the next day Wink

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
wireplay wrote:
MyStuff is amazing, but I also work in IT development and think the forced expiry is out of order.

Me too, I just got back from a 4 week trip aboard and guess what?
Many lost recordings because Mystuff expired without warning!
Yes a new version came out in time, but that was a fat lot of use to me.

Should have stuck with Jags, at least the expiry date was published..

chunkywizard
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi there,

sorry you lost recordings. We have taken the feedback on board and from 4.51 onwards the date when the old version messages start is available in the Archive screen. 4.51 will not expire either, so this should not happen again.

CW

juwlz
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
chunkywizard wrote:
sorry you lost recordings. We have taken the feedback on board and from 4.51 onwards the date when the old version messages start is available in the Archive screen. 4.51 will not expire either, so this should not happen again.
CW

I deliberately delayed (resisted) installing 4.5 until AFTER we came back from a week away (partly in case of any new showstopping bugs despite the team's thorough testing, and partly because of a shortage of time between the new release and our departure) ... although I fully intended to upgrade and have a play with the new features (esp. Automove and padding removal across channels) as soon as we got back anyway. Of course, this meant that we too came home to an extinct 4.03

Unlike others, none of our recordings failed (as far as I can tell). All were set using Control Timers, and all appeared to have been recorded just fine - presumably because these had all been translated to native Toppy timers before MyStuff's demise?

We DID have an issue with the MEI info not getting updated (but presumably that was an eit2mei problem), and anyway, we already had all the EPG info that we needed for a week ahead, so as it happens it didn't matter for that week.

Having read all the posts, I started off in support of BobD's original view - his perrogative to have the s/w expire ... although a bit more notice would certainly have changed my decision about whether or not to upgrade before going away Wink . I'm also considering recommending a Toppy + MyStuff solution to my parents. Luckily for me, they only live just over an hour away and are moderately computer literate, so keeping them up to date would be less of an issue for me than for others, but it IS a consideration.

I now find myself agreeing with the "no expiry" viewpoint, though, and am glad that BobD is now planning to take this approach with 4.51. I think that once or twice a week is enough "nagging" though - with a clear message that says nothing bad will happen, but newer versions are available; although this one will continue to work as it always did, if you have problems you need to install a newer version (the term "unsupported" won't mean anything to non-computer-literate older relatives).

Thank you to BobD for listening without getting too upset (I hope) at flamings by others after all your hard work. It was a real shame that the demise of 4.03 came so soon after the triumph of the wonderful new 4.5, and I feel for you. A Paypal donation will be coming your way shortly.

Keep up the good work guys!

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
willistine
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 07 Jun 2006 Posts: 54
Not sure if this has already been covered - I've checked the MyStuff site though I've only checked the last page of this forum.

I've found that in version 4.5, with the black&blue skin (I've not tested any others); the grid part of the EPG screen uses the default skin colours rather than those from the user selected skin.
juwlz
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
willistine wrote:
I've found that in version 4.5, with the black&blue skin (I've not tested any others); the grid part of the EPG screen uses the default skin colours rather than those from the user selected skin.
Hi

You'll be better off posting this question in the MyStuff 4.5 thread, which deals specifically with the lastest version, but if it's a skin designed for 4.03, it probably doesn't have the necessary entries for the new 4.5 features, so can only use the default for those features. (This was certainly true of my old 4.03 Midnight skin.)

For more info on 4.5, go to http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5185

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012