Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff + Japs EPG which should I load first?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Brownie
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jan 2006 Posts: 108 Location: Devon
Hi,

I am just about to try my first TAPS, but wondered whether you could give me a little advice first?
I'm thinking about MyStuff and Jags EPG-- they seem to be the most common/useful big guns!
I've downloaded both the manuals, but don't know which TAP to load first -- I've read that it does make a difference....

I appreciate that I haven't given you much information with regard to which features I particularly want from which TAPs, but it's all very confusing! I will get back to you if you know the right questions to ask!

I have more questions to ask, but will ask them individually, to make it easier for other people to find the answers if they need to the future!

Thanks in advance...
jindod
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Dec 2005 Posts: 285
If i were you I would hold your guns for another week or so before experimenting.

Sounds like Rob and the boys @ mystuff are about to kill JAGS off so that you will not need to learn how to use it.

They are both excellent taps, I would order mystuff first then jags, but it really might be a case of learning something complex and new and then upgrading and realising that you did not need to learn JAGS at all.

Look out for mystuff 3.2 being posted on here or tapworld.

All the best
Jindod
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Brownie,

at the moment, MyStuff relies of getting programme data from an external source. This can be via an MEI file (provided by the likes of Bawbagg's MEI or Wooders rt2mei) or from Jag's EPG in the form of a CSV file. If you have networked your Toppy or connect it to your PC every week then you could probably live with just an MEI file. If not, you need Jag's. If you read the MyStuff manual (wot I wrote - available from users contributed guides on this site) it explains this a bit more.

In terms of loading, it's probably best to load Mystuff first and then Jag's. This means that Jag's is hidden and you just see the MyStuff front end. A good way of determining load order is the TAP Commander TAP. If you don't have the taps loading in this order you will find that when you press GUIDE is will bring up Jag's instead of MyStuff for example.

With regards to what jindod said, he's partially right. With the new release you will still need to get programme data from somewhere, but this doesn't have to be Jag's, you will also be able to use the eit2mei TAP. So you can chose which suits you best.

HTH

Chunkywizard

Bawbagg
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 1122
I'll put my money where my mouth is. You'll be connecting to the Toppy a few times over the next few weeks as you find things out anyway. Don't install Jags. Here's what to do:

1. Install current version of MyStuff on your Toppy
2. Install RemoteExtender and eit2mei on Toppy at the same time.
2. Install MEI/XMLTV (instructions at me website below) on your PC

Use MEI to create an MEI file, and upload it to your Toppy.

You can now use MyStuff, and you'll have enough EPG data to get you by until the new release of MyStuff that will be able to use the data from eit2mei.

Read the eit2mei thread, and pay particular attention to Wildoat's posts - he's testing eit2mei with the new version of MyStuff Very Happy.

If you like the extra info you get with a PC generated MEI file (over an eit2mei generated one), then you'll want to think about a weekly connection to your Toppy to be able to refresh your MEI file. Of course, you'll be spoiled to begin with, 'cos your PC generated file has *much* more info than the eit2mei generated file will have.

HTH - I appreciate it's probably a bit confusing to begin with.

BB

jindod
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Dec 2005 Posts: 285
am i right in thinking that using epg_extender would also give genre info and full program descriptions if used instead of eit2mei ?

or does eit2mei do that too?

obviously he will not be able to view the mei created by either yet until the mystuff update comes out.

Cheers
Jindod
chunkywizard
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi jindod,

epg_extender is a bit experimental at the mo. Hyde is currently trying to get it working with MyStuff, but it doesn't yet. I am sure it will at some point though!

eit2mei will do Genres in a limited way. If you look at the thread and at Wildoat's .ini file you can see the mapping of keywords to genres.

Cheers

CW

DigiHammer
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Jan 2006 Posts: 389 Location: Bicester, Oxford.
I'm running JAG's at the moment (although it doesn't appear to be working properly with regard to collecting full EPG data?), and tried loading MyStuff at the weekend. No matter what I tried to do, I couldn't get MyStuff to load first (tried moving JAG's out, making a 20 second recording, restarting, etc.), but JAG's kept coming up first.

I know MyStuff was running, as kept getting it for info presses (with no data though!). Do I have to remove JAG's completely and load them on via Altaire in the right order?

My Toppy's not connected to the PC very often, so no good thinking about the MEI route just yet.

Thanks.

Bawbagg
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
@DigiHammer

You could try eit2mei combined with the new release of MyStuff.

BB

DigiHammer
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
I'm not networked, so how would mei2eit work for me?

maverick
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jun 2005 Posts: 602 Location: Tunbridge Wells
Hi DH,

Not mei2eit. You need to check out eit2mei. This harvests the freeview epg and converts it into an mei file for MyStuff to use.

Mav

Bawbagg
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:33 am Reply with quote
maverick wrote:
Not mei2eit. You need to check out eit2mei. This harvests the freeview epg and converts it into an mei file for MyStuff to use.
Precisely.

It's effectively the "scan channels" and cache EPG data aspect of Jags.

BB

DigiHammer
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
Just spotted my initial mistake (you can see how easy it would be though Very Happy ). Have downloaded eit2mei, and already have latest version of MyStuff. Will try loading these, and ditching JAG's.

Good as it is [Jag's], we don't like not being able to hot info on an EPG entry. We often miss out on crucial programme data (is this a repeat?). So feel JAG's is weak in this department.

danb77
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Nov 2005 Posts: 763
DigiHammer wrote:
Just spotted my initial mistake (you can see how easy it would be though Very Happy ). Have downloaded eit2mei, and already have latest version of MyStuff. Will try loading these, and ditching JAG's.

Digi, eit2mei will only load data for the NEXT version of MyStuff (due in a few days). For now, you will have to use rt2mei or Bawbagg's MEI convertor. Those are worth setting up though!
Bawbagg
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
DigiHammer wrote:
already have latest version of MyStuff. Will try loading these, and ditching JAG's.
WOAHHHHH......

By new version of MyStuff, I mean the BRAND new (ie imminent, and not yet released) version. Existing versions of MyStuff won't load the file produced by eit2mei.

You won't have long to wait though - keep an eye on the MyStuff thread Very Happy.

BB

Bawbagg
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
@danb77

SNAP!!