Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  A quick Hello

Page 1 of 1
radarman
Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 May 2005 Posts: 69 Location: Horton Heath
I've been lurking on this board for around a week and having read through a lot of the information have taken the plunge and ordered a Toppy.

Just thought I'd say hello and comment on what a great source of information this site is.

Very Happy
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Welcome; I hope you enjoy your Toppy when it arrives - and if you do find any problems, we'll be happy to help.

If you're happy with it this week, you should be even happier with it next week after the software update.

Nigel.
marctwo
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 May 2005 Posts: 33
When is the update supposed to be available? Do I need to connect it to my Mac to install or will there be an over-the-air update?
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
The update is likely to be available around the 10th of this month.

Iniitially it will be a downloadable update, rather than an over the air one. OTA updates will likely happpen, but not for a little while yet.

As for how you apply an update, at the moment, the three solutions are via Serial oprt from a PC, via a USB port from a PC, or via a serial port from another Toppy.

I'm not sure if it will work via VirtualPC - I'll have a check when my new Powerbook arrives later this week, and I've had a chance to install my new copy of Office. I think some people have reported problems with the Australian model, but I guess a lot may depend on how much performance you can screw out of VPC on your Mac.

Nigel.

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I've just done a little more homework on this, and some people have definitely reported success with upgrading using VPC.

I shall have to experiment as soon as I get my hands on the update, and then I'll report back.

Fortunately, I do have PCs here as well (I write about the wretched things for a living!). So, if all else fails, I can do things that way. I'll have to see if I can find a suitable cable to link two Toppys as well, so that if necessary, I can get people to deliver me bottles of a good single malt in return for a donation of the firmware from my machine.