Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  EPG Question

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
bogit
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Just got my toppy yesterday & am very pleased so far: picture and sound not quite so good as Pace Twin, but it hasn't locked up or lost a recording yet, either!

One question about the EPG: I can't get it to populate the EPG for ITV channels (1,2,3 & Channel 4) even when tuned to one of them. Strange, because I think that they are not all on the same MUX.  My transmitter is Pontop Pike if that makes any difference.

Does anyone know of anything I can do (Or are these channels just not providing the info at the moment?)

TIA,

Dave
glesgaguy
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
You could have aerial problems.

Although you say your Pace is OK, the loopthrough on the Toppy seems to degrade the signal, try splitting the incoming aerial and supply two separate feeds to the Toppy or you could try a signal booster, check elswhere on this forum for tips.
bogit
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:40 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Glesgaguy: I'm getting about 75% signal strength and pretty near 100% quality (Don't know how to see which tuner this is from, though).

Having read the various posts here, I already have a passive splitter.

Interestingly the Pace just has an internal loopthrough between the tuners, and both always reported similar signal strengths (BTW, it's now in the cupboard awaiting disposal, not in the aerial circuit)
IanP
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
Those channels are all on mux 1. It could be a problem with the broadcasters/mux operators in your region or for that particular transmitter, or it could be a glitch (bug) in the toppy that it can't see the epg data for some reason. It doesn't sound like a reception problem if you have 100% signal quality.
IanP
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
You should also note that the epg data may take quite some time to come around particularly if you a few days ahead into the guide. Try staying on a channel for a few minutes before opening the EPG as I don't know how good the toppy is at updating the EPG on the fly when it is open.
bogit
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Still no EPG info for those channels, so I dug out the Pace Twin and connected it up. It's displaying everything correctly, so it looks like the problem is with the Toppy.
sl8
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Apr 2005 Posts: 209 Location: UK
Just lost the EPG and 'Now and Next' info for ITV 1,2,3 and Channel 4.

Not sure what I've done different tonight but I have been playing with the PIP. I've had my toppy for over a week now and not had any EPG problems. Tried a factory reset, stiil no EPG.

I have noticed that the tuner 1 signal is stronger than tuner 2 signal so I will try an active splitter hopefully tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on.

sl8
tubbyj
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:44 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 29 Location: wimbledon
bogit wrote:
Still no EPG info for those channels, so I dug out the Pace Twin and connected it up. It's displaying everything correctly, so it looks like the problem is with the Toppy.

All mux's broadcast thier own EPG and other EPG data for the other mux's, the toppy doesn't process other data, only the main EPG data. So your twin could be getting the EPG data from another mux.

I along with others on the Crystal Palace transmitter was having the same problem last night.
sl8
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Apr 2005 Posts: 209 Location: UK
Tried again this morning and the EPG and 'Now and Next' data is back.
Gornall_Bell
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
bogit wrote:
Just got my toppy yesterday & am very pleased so far: picture and sound not quite so good as Pace Twin, but it hasn't locked up or lost a recording yet, either!<br><br>One question about the EPG: I can't get it to populate the EPG for ITV channels (1,2,3 & Channel 4) even when tuned to one of them. Strange, because I think that they are not all on the same MUX. My transmitter is Pontop Pike if that makes any difference.<br><br>Does anyone know of anything I can do (Or are these channels just not providing the info at the moment?)<br><br>TIA,<br><br>Dave

I'm having the same problem. Also off the pontop Pike transmitter. For a while I thought that I was the only one having the problem. My Thompson DTI2300 had no problems either picking up the epg, I guess it's a problem with the toppy. How to fix it is another matter!
Wildoat
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 18 Apr 2005 Posts: 532 Location: Diss / Tacolneston Transmitter
Have a look at this thread - it would appear to be the same problem. I think it is a transmitter issue.

http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210

W

Edit: Link fixed to remove sid --Nigel
Gornall_Bell
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the link, but I've not had the epg for those channels the whole time that I've had my toppy. So thats been a couple of weeks now. It's all the channels on the one mux that are effected, I think it's mux2 (well the one with all the ITV/channel4 channels on).

[Edit] Darkmatter: Removed full quote of preceding post
Gornall_Bell
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:16 am Reply with quote
Well it seems to have been sorted now. Last night at about 11.30 the epg just came on!!
Wildoat
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:29 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 18 Apr 2005 Posts: 532 Location: Diss / Tacolneston Transmitter
Yes same here back working again.
IanP
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
A post on digital spy says that the mux 2 EPG problems were caused by the engineering work being done to restore the ITV News channel to the regions (according to someone at ITV). This would make sense as the multiplexer config/data stream inputs etc. could easily get mangled by such work.