Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  New user questions.

Page 1 of 1
BigAl
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 May 2005 Posts: 27
Just getting to grips with my new toy: I hope you experts can help with a few questions.

1. Switching on from standby takes approx 10-15 seconds - around 10 secs with the display showing 'C4.56', a couple of secs showing 'run', then the picture finally appears.
Is this normal?

2. Switching subtitles on/off involves at least 6 key presses - 'opt', select 'subtitle track', then select 'dvb' or 'disable'.
Is there a quicker method, preferably a single key press?

3. I can't see any way of setting up a 'favourites' list for the radio stations.

4. Switching off the PIP seems to involve sending it around the 4 screen positions before it finally disappears. Again, is there a faster method of doing this?

5. Are there Linux versions of 'Altair' and 'TFD-down.exe'? Alternatively, has anyone tried running these programs under 'wine' (the Windows emulator for Linux)?

6. Can anybody confirm the following bug?

Watching channel A;
The other tuner is set to channel B;
A timer recording for channel C starts;
The picture for channel A switches briefly to channel C, then back to channel A, resulting in the timeshift buffer being purged.
This doesn't happen, however, if B is the same as C.

As I use the timeshift function a lot, this is a major bug for me. The only workaround seems to be either to ensure that the second tuner is set to the one about to be recorded, or to clear the second tuner by switching off/on.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
sgtwilko
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 117
BigAl wrote:

5. Are there Linux versions of 'Altair' and 'TFD-down.exe'? Alternatively, has anyone tried running these programs under 'wine' (the Windows emulator for Linux)?

On this particular question, puppy (also dev blog), can be compiled for Linux x86. I've not got that far yet, but I e-mailed the author who confirmed many people have compiled and used it.

See this Topfield Aus forum, for (a little) bit more info.
BigAl
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, sgtwilko.

Yes, I had come across 'puppy' before, but didn't know quite what to make of it. The 'peteru' link you gave does help.
odvdveer
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 121 Location: Netherlands
You can also check this (long) thread on the australian forum:

http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/frm/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=790

Puppy has been compiled for the nslu2, but also on linux machines.

Olga

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
1. That is the normal strtup sequence.

2. The subtitle button was a casualty of the remote control layout redesign for the UK Toppy. This is a candidate for a TAP to accelerate access to subtitles.

3. Make sure you are not running any TAPs (the remapping code interfeers with the TV/Radio button). Create a Fav List entry by selecting the ---NEW-- item and pressing OK. Rename it as required. move to the TV Services List by pressing the red button. Now press the TV/Radio button (the one below stand by with the picture of a TV and a pair musical notes on it). The List should change to Radio Services. Select your favourites.

N.B. there is a known bug with the Toppy forgetting you had a Favs list selected when switching between TV and Radio. Use the Opt key to reselect it.

4. I think there may have been a PiP on/off (red?) button on other models they had move anti-clockwise aswell clockwise buttons (one of which has become our TEXT button).
Magpie
Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:29 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 Apr 2005 Posts: 52
Sad

Item 3 points out the problem with this odd (in my view) system of having radio services and TV services. It'd be better if they were all just the same. Eg. I'd like to have a favourites list that had both TV and radio in it.
BigAl
Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
odvdveer wrote:
You can also check this (long) thread on the australian forum:

http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/frm/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=790

Puppy has been compiled for the nslu2, but also on linux machines.

Olga

Thanks, Olga.
Am I correct in thinking that you need to register even if only to view the Australian forum?
Darkmatter
Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Yes you do, but it?s no big deal. I haven?t had any junk mail from either that site, or the German Topfield forum (both run by Topfield)
BigAl
Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
IanP wrote:
1. That is the normal strtup sequence.

Thanks IanP.
I am a bit surprised that coming out of standby takes as long as powering up from scratch.

IanP wrote:
3. Make sure you are not running any TAPs (the remapping code interfeers with the TV/Radio button). Create a Fav List entry by selecting the ---NEW-- item and pressing OK. Rename it as required. move to the TV Services List by pressing the red button. Now press the TV/Radio button (the one below stand by with the picture of a TV and a pair musical notes on it). The List should change to Radio Services. Select your favourites.

Yes, works fine. The manual isn't too clear on the procedure.
glesgaguy
Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
In my opinion the startup time is par for the course.
I have an DVD/HD recorder and it takes slightly longer to fire up.
It must be remembered that when put into standby the Toppy switches off the HD and when switched on, I would imagine,has to go through a process of checking the HD.
odvdveer
Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 121 Location: Netherlands
When coming out of standby mode the Toppy will have to turn the HD on, load Taps, check for a broadcast and unencrypt it (when applicable).

Olga