Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MeiSearch - Genre and Keyword Search TAP

Page 1 of 68
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
rwg
Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote
TAP author Joined: 29 Oct 2005 Posts: 604 Location: Oxfordshire
You can always download the latest version from http://rwg.sitesled.com/.

MeiSearch News

Version 1.00 released - This version is stable with only minor known issues. http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=74170#74170

Version 0.90 available - Adds archive support, recent searches list and more. http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43521#43521

Version 0.27 available - Adds support for extended info from internal EPG and a few other non-MEI tweaks.

Version 0.26 available - Supports reading EPG data from JAGs CSV files and the builtin EPG. MeiSearch no longer restricted to MEI file users (but no namechange Smile )
http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=40285#40285

Version 0.25 available - check out this post http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39702#39702

Original Post

A search TAP which uses MyStuff Extended Info (MEI) data for EPG information.

Please feel free to try it out and let me know what you think - although there are a lot more features to add, I'm already finding it useful myself.

Robin

Download from http://meisearch.go.dyndns.org/MeiSearch.tap

Release Notes : v0.01 ALPHA

* Currently provides Genre searching and episode exploring/scheduling.

Getting Started

* Start the TAP from ProgramFiles or ProgramFiles\AutoStart
* Press the Menu button to begin searching (will be configurable in a later version). You can get the Toppy menus by pressing menu from within the Toppy EPG.
* There is no effective error handling for missing/corrupt/out of date MEI data. Most likely you will end up with an empty Genre list.
* Use the up, down, rewind and forward buttons to navigate all pages, OK to select an item

IMPORTANT: This is Alpha software - it works for me, but that's all the testing it's had. Don't put it in AutoStart until you've tried it out and don't try it out while you're recording something you care about - it may crash your Toppy.

KNOWN ISSUES:

If you run RemoteExtender ensure you have at least version 0.4, or your toppy may stop responding to remote key presses if MeiSearch shows a message box.

The 'Exit' option on the options screen is disabled as it currently crashes the toppy while attempting to clean up. You must reboot your toppy to exit this TAP.

The Genre List Page

Choose one of the Genres listed to search for programs of that genre.
Exit button will close the current page and take you back to TV. On other pages it will drop you back to the previous page.
Menu button in the first search page will bring up the options (currently very limited).
The Genre list is pulled directly from the MEI data file, so all possible Genres will show.

The Programs List Page

Lists all programs of a particular genre. Different episodes of the same program are detected and grouped together. The number of episodes shown is the number of distinct episodes - i.e. doesn't include repeats of the same episode.
Select a program that you're interested in to bring up the Episodes page for that program.
Prefixed program names are dealt with - i.e. 'T4: Friends' and 'Friends' will be grouped together.

The Episodes List Page

Shows each episode of a program found in the EPG data.
The footer of the page shows the subtitle and part of the description for the episode.
Press the 'Record' button to schedule a recording of an episode. This TAP will not pad the recording, but MyStuff will.
The '<+>' symbol indicates that there are multiple showings of the episode scheduled - use the left and right buttons to move between them.
The 'R' symbol indicates that a showing is scheduled to record.
The 'X' indicates that it cannot be recorded due to conflicting timers or that the program has already started.
A broken filmstrip indicates that a program is split into two parts (around the news maybe). Currently the recording of split programs does not work properly yet.
The default showing is chosen based on:
* Pick a showing that is scheduled to record if any are.
* If no recordings pick a showing that clashes with the least timers.
* Give preference to showings in the early hours of the morning.
* In case of tie pick the soonest showing.

Note that in the case of the Genre 'Film' the Programs and Episodes pages are not shown - instead you get a page showing all films in a manner similar to the Episodes page.

To come in Future Versions:

Configure activation key.
Search by keyword against title/subtitle/description.
Info page to show full info available on program episodes.
Record all episodes from the Programs page.
Split programs to be scheduled correctly.
Better messaging if program cannot be recorded due to conflicting timers.
Extend existing timers on same channel to cover scheduled items.
Ability to change sort order on Programs page.
Match programs in archive against upcoming episodes to avoid re-recording.
Favourite searches.
Data loaded from JAG or internal EPG (less functionality).
Look/Feel improvements.
Better use of display space on Episodes page - avoid displaying duplicated information

Thanks To:

SimonC - for lots of help and some great ideas getting c++ into a working state and building a basic Application Framework
BobD & Bawbagg - for MyStuff & MEI. Need I say more?

Last edited by rwg on Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:05 am; edited 9 times in total

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Nov 2005 Posts: 569 Location: North Lincs, UK
Thanks for a great TAP

Looks like this will be an essential add on to Mystuff/MEI to enhance the capabilities of the Toppy.

First impressions look good. I will give your Tap a better test over the weekend.

...RogDog

charley
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2005 Posts: 1563 Location: Belfast
Hi Robin,
Good start for MEI search Smile
Do you need to load the MEI data even if MyStuff is running, just thinking about how much memory is used?

Toppy: TF5800PVR250GB &300GB;Firmware: ; Remote: Harmony 655; Tx:Divis; Autostart TAPs: MEISearch 1.35, MyStuff 6, AutoReboot V2.2, epg2mei, Power Manager v2.0, TAP Commander 1.2, TF5000 Display v1.50, MHEG_State; Other:
maverick
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jun 2005 Posts: 602 Location: Tunbridge Wells
Thanks rwg,

First impressions are very good indeed. Though this functionality has been talked about a lot, I hadn't realised how useful it is. Seems pretty stable for an alpha. Look forward to this TAPs development with anticipation. Great work.

Mav.

Mark_B
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 254
Hi Robin,

Well this came out of the blue - and a really useful add-on as a version 0 its pretty robust and hanging together well.

In the first version I see you have focused on a very useful mei viewer by genre and common programmes - and I especially like the way you have grouped repeat viewings together.

I'll keep playing....yet first impressions are great - and it would
be especially useful to add to your feature list:

- in the film view to add the rating stars from mei

- in series view, to show the episode numbers (ie 5 of 12) on the episode page

- a new view that brought up all new series starting in mei -
ie all new series across all genres with episode=1, so you can spot new topics of interest and decide if you want to watch the series or record them using jag's or otherwise....

Looking forwards to seeing where you take this....

Great alpha release - looking more like a beta to me

Well done and thanks.
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Great Add-on to MEI & MyStuff

Just to report a reboot of the Toppy when exiting the TAP.

I'd cycled a number of Genre's setting the odd timer, then decided to press Menu, selected Exit MeiSearch, pressed OK and boom, a reboot.

It's repeatable too, without having to select any Genre first.

Any thoughts?

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
Mark_B
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 254
Hi Robin,

Set up tap in program files along side mystuff.mei data stored in program files...

All was working fine and I was pretty happy with tap so decided to move it to auto start and test out over next few days....but when in autostart after and after rebooting toppy I find that the genre screen comes up empty and the tap doesnt seem to do the reload bit on entry...

Maybe this is because mystuff.mei is not in same folder? - yet I want to keep one version of this in the program files.....as used by Mystuff. On occasions I use multiple versions of mystuff and this allows me to switchh between the two (stopping and starting) and still picking up same mei file...

Any advice/change of a fix for this sometime?

For now moved it back to Program files and its back to working fine....only a minor issue.

This is really minor - and nothing to put anyone off using the tap...

Thanks,
Mark
ah5150
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 13 Oct 2005 Posts: 44 Location: Telford / Birmingham
Fantastic tap and with search words coming soon this is brilliant. Genre searching is a guranteed way of finding more programs to record and watch later. It's great to see the mei being put to such a good use!
Bawbagg
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 1122
Another user of the MEI format!!

When I created MEI I was excited at the prospect of it being the only solution on offer to complete the problem of a gappy, truncated EPG with a short horizon. This TAP is a great example of taking advantage of the information provided by MEI, and providing a better Toppy experience for us all!

Great work,

BB

rwg
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
charley wrote:
Hi Robin,
Good start for MEI search Smile
Do you need to load the MEI data even if MyStuff is running, just thinking about how much memory is used?

Charley,

at the moment I load my own copy of the MEI data - for a full 14 day EPG this is in the 2-3Mb range, maybe up to 4Mb if you have all the channels (I have several deleted). Topfield quotes a free memory available of ~30Mb for taps, so 2 copies shouldn't kill things. I'll keep my eyes out for problems related to this though.

Robin

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
Mark_B wrote:
Hi Robin,

Well this came out of the blue - and a really useful add-on as a version 0 its pretty robust and hanging together well.

glad you like it!

Quote:
- in the film view to add the rating stars from mei

In v0.03 - I'll pop the link in another post. I thought I had this, but I then noticed that I'd set up XMLTV to add them to the title in my EPG data.

Quote:
- in series view, to show the episode numbers (ie 5 of 12) on the episode page

Again, in 0.03

Quote:
- a new view that brought up all new series starting in mei -
ie all new series across all genres with episode=1

Great idea - will probably add this when I do other types of search beyond genre searching.

Robin

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
Great Add-on to MEI & MyStuff

Just to report a reboot of the Toppy when exiting the TAP.

I'd cycled a number of Genre's setting the odd timer, then decided to press Menu, selected Exit MeiSearch, pressed OK and boom, a reboot.

It's repeatable too, without having to select any Genre first.

Any thoughts?

I knew about this one and thought I'd disabled the action on that item in 0.01. Obviously not. There's some sort of problem with closing down the TAP when pages are active on the Toppy itself, but it all runs fine under emulation Sad. It'll take me a while to debug through this, so I've made sure it really is disabled for now...

Robin

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
Mark_B wrote:
Hi Robin,

All was working fine and I was pretty happy with tap so decided to move it to auto start and test out over next few days....but when in autostart after and after rebooting toppy I find that the genre screen comes up empty and the tap doesnt seem to do the reload bit on entry...

Fixed in 0.02 - see below. The TAP_HDD functions are even less able than I originally thought Sad

Robin

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
MeiSearch 0.02 alpha

now available for download from http://meisearch.go.dyndns.org/MeiSearch_002.tap

Changes from v0.01

* Exit from the options page now disabled to avoid toppy crash when attempting to use it

* Will now load the EPG data correctly when started from the AutoStart folder

* TAP information (title, author etc) now properly inserted into the TAP

Robin

Last edited by rwg on Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3632 Location: Maldon Essex
Sounds to be just what is needed to allow us the avoid all the problems of the current EPG system and take advantage of the additional information available from the RT website. Well done, Robin.

It seems to me that there is now one gap the what might call an "MEI Suite", namely an ability to update the MEI data with last minute changes from the broadcast data. Clearly one would not get the genre and full descriptions, but it would remove the only remaining reason for using JAG's EPG etc. Wish I was up to attacking this!