Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MeiSearch - Genre and Keyword Search TAP

Page 2 of 68
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 66, 67, 68  Next
dustjunky
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 26 Oct 2005 Posts: 65
Any chance of some screenshots of the tap in action? My girlfriend has taken the laptop away with her so i can't load this onto my Toppy to have a look:(

It sounds great though Very Happy
CD3660
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Apr 2005 Posts: 344 Location: Cheshire, UK
Just loaded version 0.02a - excellent add on Tap.

Many thanks - I look forward to the promised developments! Smile
Mark_B
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 254
Thanks for quick mods - will try again tonight. Excellent response - top notch Very Happy Very Happy

Wondering if the new version adds it's version number for the usual TAP toppy archive screen (first version didnt) - just said tap name...... this will help me know if I'm up to date with you development...just a thought, and when version come out quite quickly it will certainly help.....

Thanks again......

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Reboot when trying to exit the TAP via the Menu button option now blocked. So that feature block now works until you're ready to implement it again.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
rwg
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
TAP author Joined: 29 Oct 2005 Posts: 604 Location: Oxfordshire
dustjunky wrote:
Any chance of some screenshots of the tap in action? My girlfriend has taken the laptop away with her so i can't load this onto my Toppy to have a look:(

Here you go, (screenshots taken from an emulated version)

The initial genre page:
http://meisearch.go.dyndns.org/genre_page.JPG

The programs page (for one genre)
http://meisearch.go.dyndns.org/programs_page.JPG

The episodes page
http://meisearch.go.dyndns.org/episodes_page.JPG

note that these are from v0.03 so differ slightly from what you get in the currently released version.

Robin

Last edited by rwg on Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
EMJB wrote:
It seems to me that there is now one gap the what might call an "MEI Suite", namely an ability to update the MEI data with last minute changes from the broadcast data. Clearly one would not get the genre and full descriptions, but it would remove the only remaining reason for using JAG's EPG etc. Wish I was up to attacking this!

This is something of a non-trivial task.

You could do this - and more, with things like the BBC's TV AnyTime data, which provides information about repeats - using a variety of data sources, tweaking the EPG info based on the more recent source.

But, you run into a confidence problem when comparing data from different sources, because they may not label things in exactly the same way. One example, for instance, is that one EPG source might say "Dr Who" and another might say "Doctor Who"

If the broadcast information changes on Freeview for Dr Who, how confident can you be that it refers to the programme called Doctor Who in your MEI or TGD data?

In that case, the answer is likely "fairly." But when you start to need clever things - like episodes - things get even more complicated. One source might describe an episode by name, one by number, and one might not even have any additional information.

With the recent run of new Taggart's, for example, two episodes were swapped round, due to the release of a report about bullying in the army. Do you automatically assume when that happens that the broadcast data is the latest version? In that case, the answer was yes, but what happens if, as with E4, a programme appears from the broadcast information to be extra-long, like Wife Swap?

Do you then assume that it really is two hours long and there's no Desperate Housewives? Or do you assume the downloaded source is correct?

Reconciling all these things is possible - but it's certain not trivial. You really need a globally unique identifier for each programme, that's the same across your EPG sources, so that you can compare them. And even then, you still need additional logic to take account of things like the EPG failures on some channels.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Aug 2005 Posts: 310
Hi there robin,

This looks like it's going to be a great addition to the tap library.

I've been playing with your tap a little the (.02 version) and can't seem to get the film genre to work, It just sticks and won't accept any key presses.

other genre's seem to work ok and as described.

This was after looking at the menu options for the exit of the tap screen. Not sure what else may be different.

will investigate further but it's a bit of a pain as I have to keep re-booting.

dedics
mikatt
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 102 Location: Hampshire UK
Hi I have just installed the MEI search tap and every time I try a Genre search on Film it crashes the Toppy, all the other titles seem OK any ideas?

Version 0.02 installed

Mike
dustjunky
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 26 Oct 2005 Posts: 65
rwg wrote:
dustjunky wrote:

Here you go, (screenshots taken from an emulated version)

The initial genre page:
http://www.aoox21.dsl.pipex.com/genre_page.JPG

Robin

Excellent - thanks Very Happy This looks damn good
rwg
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
mikatt wrote:
Hi I have just installed the MEI search tap and every time I try a Genre search on Film it crashes the Toppy, all the other titles seem OK any ideas?

Version 0.02 installed

Mike

Mike, I expect it's something in the MEI file that is a bit different or unexpected. I'll PM you my email address, if you can send the MEI file from your toppy I will try using that and see if it breaks for me.

Robin

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Apr 2005 Posts: 344 Location: Cheshire, UK
Robin - Just a quick query:

I set a number of timers using the latest version of your Tap and noticed that longer names are truncated when viewed on a timer list such as UK Timers.

Is there any solution to this or is it unavoidable? Question
rwg
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
CD3660 wrote:
Robin - Just a quick query:

I set a number of timers using the latest version of your Tap and noticed that longer names are truncated when viewed on a timer list such as UK Timers.

Is there any solution to this or is it unavoidable? Question

I've never used UK Timers, so I don't know offhand. The API allows you to specify up to 100 characters for the filename to be used for a recording, so I just use the title up to a max of 100 chars. How do the reservations show up in the timer list in MyStuff? Do they show the same problem there.

One interesting point - I just noticed that I'm not appending -1,-2,-3 etc to filenames for recording to make them unique. I wonder if I need to or if the toppy will automatically change the name if the file already exists when the recording starts. Anyone know the answer to this offhand?

Robin

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote
MeiSearch v0.03 beta now available for download

This version for the terminally brave only at the moment! Tested only on emulation not on a real toppy yet...

download from http://meisearch.go.dyndns.org/MeiSearch_003.tap

Changes from v0.02

* now beta not alpha Smile

* Episodes page now shows Subtitle/Description/Episode number info rather than the title (which is in the header anyway)

* Won't allow you to record the same program twice and use both tuners up Smile

* Shows film star ratings with titles if data available

* will show total duration for split programs in the search results and schedule a timer for that total duration (that means you'll get the second half of split films, but also the news in the middle)

Robin

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5640 Location: Cheltenham
Looks like the MEI file could be becoming the defacto standard for extended information. I wonder if a MEI server TAP might become necessary to reduce memory usage? I'm already low on memory when running Improbox+Jag's EPG beta 3.
maverick
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jun 2005 Posts: 602 Location: Tunbridge Wells
rwg wrote:
MeiSearch v0.03 beta now available for download

This version for the terminally brave only at the moment! Tested only on emulation not on a real toppy yet...

download from http://meisearch.go.dyndns.org/MeiSearch_003.tap

Can't get this to download (using Mac Ctrl click "save linked file to desktop). Previously this downloaded with .tap.txt extension, I deleted .txt and this was fine. Now downloading with .tap.html extension and deleting .html does not correct this.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Mav