Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Remote Control

Page 1 of 1
jumbo
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Can the Tofield remote control be programmed to perform simple TV operations? e.g. switch on/off and volume.
Sulli
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 250 Location: Manchester
No, as far as I know.

Startup TAPs: JAGs EPG, Bookmark2UK
Other TAPs: UK Timers, IP Guide
nudel
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:19 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 38 Location: London, England
The remote does control volume output from the Topfield, so if you only watch it through your TV then you can effectively control the TV's volume.

I think some TVs can automatically turn on if they receive input, although this would probably not be a good idea with a PVR as your TV would always turn on when it starts recording. (Though the External AV mode may stop that happening... I can't quite work out what it does in terms of the SCART switching pin.)

A universal remote is, of course, the best solution.
jumbo
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
I wanted to buy a One 4 All remote control unit to use with Toppy/TV/DVD player in Dixons and was told that currently none of these models work with Freeview and people have been returning them! I was rather puzzled as to why this should be? Any comments ...
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Comments? The people in Dixons don't have a clue.

In one thread here, someone's posted information about the One4All, though the mappings for the european Topfield will of course be slightly different.

You can certainly make the Philips Pronto work with the Toppy.

Perhaps the problem some people have with Freeview is a) no codes for their box and b) it may be hard with some units to control TV volume and digibox channels easily, without switching mode or anything like that.

There's certainly nothing about Freeview itself that would stop it from working with multi-function remotes.

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Mar 2005 Posts: 243 Location: Sydney, Australia. Toppy 5K owner.
nudel wrote:
Though the External AV mode may stop that happening... I can't quite work out what it does in terms of the SCART switching pin.

External AV mode is for the VCR-SCART passthrough.   If your passthrough device doesn't assert the AV pin (such as using a SCART-svideo+L+R adapter or something to hookup a DVD player to the VCR-SCART), then putting the Toppy into externalAV will let you toggle to the passthrough with the TV/SAT (or TV/VCR) button.   The other mode lets anything with AV (such as fully wired SCART device) to automatically put the Toppy into passthrough.
Regards

[Edit] Darkmatter: fixed broken quotes