Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  User Guide Glossary

Page 1 of 1
jumbo
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:53 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Would it be possible for a kind hearted person to
create a "glossary" of terms used in the User Guide (and on this site) which could be updated in order to point some of us novices in the right direction and simplify the use of the Toppy. If forum users could update such a "database" with the number of experts (clearly) contributing to this forum it would soon be of far greater use to beginners than the poorly written user guide.
Darkmatter
Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Nigel?s is working on a glossary ? the latest creation is http://www.toppy.tv/glossary.php

Having said that, if you?re not sure about anything, by all means post to this ?new users? area. We won?t bite.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
If you come across terms in the parts of this site outside the forum that you don't understand, try clicking on them, if they're highlighted in orange - look at the FAQs page for examples.

When you seen an entry like that, clicking on it provides a pop-up glossary entry. On the www.toppy.tv sister site, glossary entries are in a dark red colour.

When we manage to change the forums over to phpBB, I'll see if it's possible to hack the code so that posters can flag glossary items in their messages.

Would it help if there was a handy pop-up index to the glossary that you can keep open while you're reading the site?

And if there are any terms that you don't see on the link that Darkmatter posted (both sites use the same glossary database), let me know and I'll do my best to update it.

Nigel.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:35 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
That reminds me, I?ve seen another BB where the message posts are automatically scanned for glossary terms, and a list of links appended to the end of the post. For example, if I wrote ?timeshifting through the CAM?, a hyperlinked glossary is appended to timeshifting, and CAM.