Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Advice required please.

Page 1 of 1
jclaydon
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:44 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Posts: 96 Location: Guildford
Hi,

After reading through posts on this site and over at DigitalSpy, have taken the plunge and am (hopefully) accepting delivery of a toppy today.

Like a few people it seems, connecting to my computer will be possible, but as they are in different rooms, will not be doing it to often. Have been reading through the taps, and have a few questions. Is it worth installing the Program Manager v0.5 straight away? What advantages will these give me?

Thanks

J
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:09 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
I would suggest that, to start with, you just use the Toppy as it comes out of the box. It works fine (in most cases, anyway), though there are some quirks.

When you're confident you know how to do all the things you want, then it's time to start playing with TAPs.

If you know you'll want to install them and play at some stage, there's no problem with putting them in the Program Files folder on your machine - they won't start automatically. You can then load them when you want, without having to disconnect the Toppy from your TV.

Note that the first time you connect from your PC to the Toppy, there won't be an AutoStart folder, which is where you put TAPs you always want to run. That's created after you've run TAPs for the first time.

There will soon be a guide to installing TAPs on this site - I've just got to edit it, when I'm back up to date with real work.

Nigel.
jclaydon
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 26 Apr 2005 Posts: 96 Location: Guildford
Many thanks for the advice.

Might see how I go with it straight from the box, than make a decision.

I'm sure I'll be back with more queries!