Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Mystuff and hard drive spin down

Page 1 of 1
The Doc
Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 12 Dec 2005 Posts: 39 Location: Somerset
Been running mystuff for a few days and noticed that the hard drive never spins downs when the Toppy is on. Thought this a bit strange since it did spin down before I installed Mystuff Confused . Anyway did a few tests with and without mystuff loaded and on my Toppy Mystuff is stopping the HD from spinning down. If I set HDDinfo to spin down in 1 min (normally set to 15-30 min) then the disk spins down but it spins up again a few mins later (no remote key presses etc) when mystuff is installed.

I'm on 5-12-09, time slip disabled and have Jag's EPG and HDDinfo running but these do allow the HD to spin down.

Is this cause for concern or do I just let it do what it wants too??
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:47 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
Do you have any other TAPs installed?

I believe, but could well be wrong, the the Toppy API polls TAPs at regular intervals. So it could be the Toppy causing the disk to spin because any TAP is loaded, not just MyStuff.

In any event these drives have a MTBF of over 50 years. That's not say that don't fail, but not likely from your normal usage. Indeed it shouldn't matter that much if it was running all the time either.

If you're using Jags with MyStuff then it could also be Jags polling the EPG stream to set word search timers etc.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
The Doc
Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 12 Dec 2005 Posts: 39 Location: Somerset
I have Jags, mystuff and HDDinfo. Jags is set to not write the EPG to the disk and not to scan for keywords every 10 min. If I remove mystuff and leave the other two Taps running all seems to work as expected i.e. the disk spins down due to the HDDinfo setting. If I reload mystuff the HD does not spin down using the 15 min setting in HDDinfo (presumably because the disk is being read/written to every few mins by Mystuff?).

I'll probably just ignore it Rolling Eyes