Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  RF Ouput and Record OFF

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
peeky
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:33 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 Apr 2005 Posts: 41 Location: Wokingham
Purchased my Toppy on Monday 25th April from Heathrow Systems and have a few niggles BUT this box is far superior to the Panasonic TU-CTH100. I was on my third TU-CTH100 and finally gave up after countless failures to record, the box freezing (Powercycle required) and some recordings not lasting their duration. I.e. an hour program would have 3 seconds lopped of the end and sometimes it would be ten minutes or as much of 50 minutes in a recording of 90 minutes. I have sent a letter to Panasonic and I am awaiting their reply. That is enough of the TU-CTH100 now for some questions on the TF5800PVR.

1. The RF channel number is not being recognised by my television when tuning in. I have tried several settings, default is 36, but I can not tune it in. This would be handy as this would enable my second TV to receive the Toppy signal.
I have set up my Antenna as recommended by Heathrow Systems thus:
Aerial antenna cable connected to Antenna1 and the RF Loop1 OUT is connected to Antenna2 with the small loop through cable supplied to connect both the tuners.
RF Loop2 OUT goes to my SKY + box.
Are there any other combinations to overcome this problem? Why can?t I just plug the Aerial antenna cable straight into RF IN and a cable out from RF OUT to my Sky+ Box?

2. Setting up a recording as RECORD OFF, which is reserved to record to a VCR has a strange effect as when it is invoked as it will change channels, if different from the one your are watching, Changing back to the other channel, to the one you were originally watching, forms part of the recording, which is most annoying! I am right in assuming that this operation is best done as an unattended operation I.e. Not use the box and simply leave in standby mode?

That is ALL for now and NO doubt I will have other issues to share.
twelfthmonkey
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 63
You need to use 'RF out (13)' see page 8 of the user manual, as 'RF Loop 1' and 'RF Loop 2' do not carry the modulated signal from the Toppy, only 'RF out' does. Bear in mind that you will still need to make an aerial connection to antenna1 and loop thru to antenna2.
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:56 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Check in the setup menu that the RF output type has been changed to PAL I, which is required for the UK; the firmware unfortunately defaults to PAL G at the moment, which is a little daft.

The reason some other boxes like Sky+ don't have the array of RF connections found on the Toppy is that they just hide it all internally. In theory, the Toppy could be connected to two different aerials, though that would be a little pointless (on the first versions, in other countries, you had a separate list of channels for each tuner too).

I've not used the recording off option, but yes, it will change channels; it's intended as a programme reminder, a bit like the things you can do on Sky, but I think the firmware then assumes that once it's done the job of switching over for you, you can switch away if you've changed your mind. An on-screen prompt would be a good idea, I think. Anyway, yes, it would be best off used unattended to do that.

Nigel.
peeky
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
Thank you, I will give it a go.
peeky
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:16 am Reply with quote
Nigel,

Thanks for your help in this matter and your prompt relpy.

Peter.
peeky
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I took the advice of twelfthmonkey. If you look on page 8 of the manual and connect as follows:

Antenna (Roof Aerial) to 1.
Connect 2 and 3 together with the small loop through cable supplied to connect both the tuners.
Connect 4 to 12
Connect 13 to whatever (TV or SKY, VCR)
RF Channel is now being recognised.

I have noticed that Channel 5 on Terrestrial is a bit grainy, any ideas?

Thanks once again Chaps.
Darkmatter
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Yep, often Channel 5 is broadcast at a lower power. A quick fix is to use a 4-way UHF amplifier (make sure it?s high quality and digital compatible). 2 outputs go to tuner 1 and 2 on the Toppy. Connect the third output to RF IN on the Toppy, and leave RF OUT connected as you had before.
twelfthmonkey
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 63
Unfortunately after the aerial signal has been through tuner1 then looped thru tuner2 it has been significantly attenuated, it is further attenuated when it travels through RF in --> RF out.
The solution you may wish to adopt is to obtain an areial splitter which will then feed seperate signals to the tuners and RF in.

Aerial
|
|
V
Splitter----->Tuner1----Loop Thru---->Tuner2
|
--------->(RF in) (RFout)------->Other Equipment

If your signal is really weak you could replace the splitter with a two output aerial amplifier.

Sorry about the poor 'stick' diagram Confused
peeky
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:35 am Reply with quote
Again thank you to you guys who have responded. You know what you are talking about and using splitters/aerial amplifiers is a great tip and one that I will pursue.[/quote]
peeky
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quote
To overcome the poor channel 5 terrestrial picture problem ? Page 8 of Toppy manual refers.
Purchased a Labgear 4 way amplifier (Booster) and connected as follows:

Roof top Aerial to IN on 4 way amplifier (Booster)
TV1 from 4 way amplifier (Booster) to Antenna1 (No: 1 on Toppy)
TV2 from 4 way amplifier (Booster) to Antenna2 (No: 3 on Toppy)
TV3 from 4 way amplifier (Booster) to RF IN (No: 12 on Toppy)
RF OUT (No: 13 on Toppy) connected to TV or SKY, VCR.

Having ALL three connections on the Toppy (1,2 and 12) utilised, through the 4 way amplifier (Booster), has definitely improved the picture on channel 5 terrestrial.

Here is another question:
Does the Toppy have be registered, with its serial number, for warranty purposes? This is normal for other pieces of kit but I have noticed the lack of some form of registration card present when I bought the unit.
thesaint
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Apr 2005 Posts: 366 Location: Darlington
I queried this with turbosat re warranty and they said they logged all sales of topfield on their system and no registering was required. I suppose heathrow will be the same Cool
peeky
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:12 am Reply with quote
Thank you - thesaint
peeky
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quote
On Wednesday 4th May I recorded two different programs, at the same time, both for 1hour 2 minutes using channels ITV1 and Channel 4 whilst watching BBC1 (Yes BOTH recordings were fine). How is this achieved? I know the Toppy has twin tuners and thought that this meant you could record 2 programs and watch an existing recording. It is because I have ALL three aerial connections connected? I do not understand. Any Idea ?
DB1
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
You can watch any program that is in the muxes being recorded - It has to split the mux up to get the one you want so this is a bonus - exlusive to the Toppy for now.
peeky
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
I still do NOT understand as the program I was watching was NOT one of the ones being recorded. Am I missing the point here?