Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  My Own First Impressions

Page 7 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Beancounter
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 163
Last night we missed 1 recording, no obvious clash so it would probably be prudent to leave a small gap inbetween duel recordings in the future. My wife was being quite vocal about the disc noise though, I did explain that we were recording 2 shows and watching another recording but she remains uncertain.

The noise from the HD when the Toppy is not actually doing anything remains a concern. As I explained before ,I get the occasional screech, initially I thought it was on the menu or EPG but its when watching live tv too. Is this normal ?
glesgaguy
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
It could be that youre Hard Drive is not performing as it should, I personally (and many others) have absolutely no problems with noise from the hard drive, I suppose that you will occasionally get a Hard Drive that is faulty in this respect, I would advise you to get in touch with the seller and ask their advice, you may have to return it to them for repair or exchange.
Beancounter
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
glesgaguy wrote:
I would advise you to get in touch with the seller and ask their advice, you may have to return it to them for repair or exchange.

Having weighed up the pros and cons I have decided to give Unbeatable a call tomorrow and ask for a replacement instead of a refund. As many of you here are reporting your Toppys as being quieter I am happy to give it a second shot as since I have resolved the recording problems I am actually quite impressed by the thing, even the wife is starting to get to grips with it now.
glesgaguy
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
Another thought on the niose problem, if your disk is unaturally noisy, I would imagine the positioning of the box could magnify the noise, if you have it placed on top of a DVD recorder/player then the DVD would amplify the sound, DVD boxes are full of nothing,except space
matt
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Good idea. I'll try adding some bubble wrap padding underneath each corner.

matt
sneeks
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 62
If i had a glass fronted cabinet then i'd have never really heard the Toppy. Unfortunately my cabinet is open. I'll be interested to read if the replacement box is any quieter.
Beancounter
Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll keep you posted on the replacement Sneeks.....and don't go giving me ideas about getting a new telly with a glass cabinet too, the wife will have a fit Laughing
sneeks
Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 62
Tell her it'll be worthwhile and i'm sure she'll understand Laughing You'll be going out of your way to improve her viewing pleasure, she should really be thanking you Very Happy
Beancounter
Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
sneeks wrote:
Tell her it'll be worthwhile and i'm sure she'll understand Laughing You'll be going out of your way to improve her viewing pleasure, she should really be thanking you Very Happy

LOL, I don't think she will go with that explaination somehow. Anyway, the Toppy is packaged up for return now, hopefully the replacements drive will be quieter.

Perhaps to put things into perspective, reinstalled the Fusion FVRT100 and it is soooooo much more noisy than the Toppy, particularly in standby. Granted there is not the same clicking hard drive my Toppy had but I never really noticed the noise of the Fusion till now.
matt
Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
The grass is always greener, huh?

matt