<  New users start here  ~  My Own First Impressions

Page 5 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Beancounter
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 163
matt wrote:
Interesting point.

I am only using UK ported TAPs. I wonder if Beancounter is using any TAPs?

matt

Program manager 0.5 is the only thing I have installed.

I am starting to see where I may have been going wrong. All my recordings are set to Tuner 1. I have now changed the default to tuner 4 and set up some back to back recordings, should I see a better result now?
matt
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Beancounter wrote:
I have now changed the default to tuner 4 and set up some back to back recordings, should I see a better result now?

Most definitely! Very Happy

As for only having Program Manager installed - why? For your information it manages other TAPs so is of no real use on it's own.

matt
Beancounter
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:07 pm Reply with quote
[quote="matt"]
Beancounter wrote:

As for only having Program Manager installed - why? For your information it manages other TAPs so is of no real use on it's own.

matt

This is everything that was contained in the Program manager tap that I downloaded -
Prototype task manager, and custom TAP environment. Supports message passing and personality modules. Contains a sample pack of the UK key mapping utility (tf58key v1.1), timer_extend v8.4, infoDisplay v7.4, FreeSpace bar v1.1n, QuickEPG, Clock

Have I misunderstood this as well? Laughing
glesgaguy
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 178
I presume you have unziped each tap from each folder 5 in all, then transfer the 5 TAP files only. Try each one out in the program folder first, until you're satisfyed with them before putting them in Autostart
sneeks
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 62
Beancounter, i'm really surprised at your results from the Toppy. I never once had a failed recording and i'd set the unit to record almost everything that was on for 3 days. Would the use of TAPs perhaps cause more problems than a machine completely clean of them?

Looks like you'll be waiting for several more weeks alongside me for the Inverto then.

p.s. i'd typed this way back at 7pm and only just pressed the submit button, i now see that some of my concerns seem to have been voiced since I typed this reply.
matt
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Beancounter wrote:

What files did you copy across to your Toppy?

And how did it go with setting things to default to tuner 4? (I'm hoping no news is good news)

matt
Beancounter
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:45 am Reply with quote
matt wrote:
Beancounter wrote:

What files did you copy across to your Toppy?

And how did it go with setting things to default to tuner 4? (I'm hoping no news is good news)

matt

I was out last night so left the Toppy to its own devices, more about that in a second!

When loading the TAPs I (hopefully) followed the instructions on this forum. I had 7 folders in total which i tranfered to the Toppy. I now have those 7 folders in autostart. (FreeSpace_bar1.1n/infodisplay7.5premarch/OnScreenClock/ProgramManager/QuickEPG/tf58keys-1.1/timer_extend)

Although these files are now in autostart the folders are still sitting in the program files screen, should these be deleted now the files are in autostart?

As for last night, everything I set to record during the evening did record. When I came in around 12.30 I had a quick check then set up some more to carry on through the night. It may have missed 1 programme during the night but can't be sure.

This morning I have set up non stop recordings again. On the first one this morning the graphic with channel name/record time stayed on the screen stuck at 54 seconds although the box was recording. That stayed on screen through to the next recording although only the forst recording was in the archive. I had to manually stop the recording to get the screen clear and the recording disappeared from the archive.

So, changing to tuner 4 has made a difference although i can't explain what has just happened! I have written down everything that is scheduled to record today to double check later. Bascially, BB2 non stop till 1300 and ITV1 with minute gaps here and there.
Beancounter
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote
Darkmatter wrote:
Good point, timer extend defaults to something other than timer 4. I?ll post a note in PM?s release notes.

Should I delete this tap for the moment then?

I would ask what exactly this tap does but probably does what it says on the tin?
matt
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:24 am Reply with quote
Great news on you sorting out (for the majority) of you failed recordings. I'm sure we'd all appreciate you speaking of your solution as far and wide as you have about your problems. Wink

Beancounter wrote:
When loading the TAPs I (hopefully) followed the instructions on this forum. I had 7 folders in total which i tranfered to the Toppy. I now have those 7 folders in autostart. (FreeSpace_bar1.1n/infodisplay7.5premarch/OnScreenClock/ProgramManager/QuickEPG/tf58keys-1.1/timer_extend)

Although these files are now in autostart the folders are still sitting in the program files screen, should these be deleted now the files are in autostart?

Right. The only files you need to copy across are the .TAP files, which makes installation and removal a breeze. They should either go in either the Program Files folder or the AutoStart folder depending on your preference.

The folders in the Program manager distribution are source code and are not needed for operation.

matt
matt
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote
Beancounter wrote:
Darkmatter wrote:
Good point, timer extend defaults to something other than timer 4. I?ll post a note in PM?s release notes.

I would ask what exactly this tap does but probably does what it says on the tin?

I'd delete all TAPs you are using, get yourself happy with the behaviour and then add them one .tap file by one making sure at every stage you are happy with the operation of the unit.

I do not use Timer Extend, by the way, and have only had one 0MB error and one Black recording through all my weeks.

matt
Beancounter
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quote
matt wrote:
Great news on you sorting out (for the majority) of you failed recordings. I'm sure we'd all appreciate you speaking of your solution as far and wide as you have about your problems. Wink

matt

If I get this working the way you guys have yours then I will shout it from the rooftops Smile

Thanks for your help by the way, very much appreciated.
Beancounter
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:32 am Reply with quote
matt wrote:

I'd delete all TAPs you are using, get yourself happy with the behaviour and then add them one .tap file by one making sure at every stage you are happy with the operation of the unit.

I do not use Timer Extend, by the way, and have only had one 0MB error and one Black recording through all my weeks.

matt

I will do that.
odvdveer
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:24 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 121 Location: Netherlands
Beancounter wrote:
Darkmatter wrote:

Read the included readme, it does much more than just adjust the timers. i.e. it will also sort them by due date and it will show extra information in the timer settings screen.

Through the menu you can set it to default to tuner 4 and it can also change all your existing timers to use tuner 4.

Olga

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quick Update -

The Toppy has been duel recording since 9am, apart from that first little glitch its been ok since, every recording has completed ok and things are looking up. Half the recordings were made with all the taps still installed, everything from around 11am was without taps I have set further recordings till 5pm and will monitor its progress.

One little problem now though (there just had to be 1 eh?!!)
Whilst duel recording now I can't seem to change channel unless through the epg or use the volume up/down (not a big miss as I tend to use the tv volume control instead)

Overall though, things are looking up Smile
sneeks
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 62
Looks like you may be keeping the Toppy afterall Smile